Question About Aircraft.cfg Files and Update Patches...

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
DocLotus
Airman First Class

Question About Aircraft.cfg Files and Update Patches...

Post by DocLotus »

Hi;

I have additional paint jobs installed on several A2A aircraft.

My question is when I go to do an Update Patch it tells me to back up my Aircraft.cfg file as it will be overwritten and any saved additions will be lost. It does not tell me how to recover my lost paint jobs.

Do I…
A. Replace the new Aircraft.cfg with the backed up one?
B. Copy any changes from the backed Aircraft.cfg to the new Aircraft.cfg file?

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks;
Doc

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Question About Aircraft.cfg Files and Update Patches...

Post by Norforce »

1: What is the Update patch for

2: The tips below apply to any aircraft repaints you would have in the SimObjects folder if the reinstall asks for you to back up the files (repaints)

you need to copy the a2a plane folders ie:Microsoft Flight Simulator X/SimObjects/Airplanes/WoP2_b17g

This is where your textures are for all the add on repaints.
When you do a reinstall it will remove all repaints and put in the default aircraft.
So save the WoP2_b17g or what ever plane folder some where eles on your hard drive once you have done the reinstall copy and paste back, remember to back up the aircraft.cfg file from the new install

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The repaint folders won't be overwritten or deleted if you just install the update patch(es). The aircraft.cfg may be replaced though, and that is the document that activates the repaints (which you already know from adding texture folders and editing the .cfg).

So, just save copies of your current aircraft.cfg docs someplace else and then after you install the updates you can just copy/paste the old text that is relevant into the updated aircraft.cfg file.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Thanks guys, that is kind if what I thought but was not sure.

I am totally confused about patches for the boxed sets.

I know there is a "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch (for FSX). I just bought the "Aircraft Powerpack 2" (also for FSX only) but do not see any patches for it. Do I apply the "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch? Or, no patch at all as it is already patched? The "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch is dated Oct-31-2006 while the "Aircraft Powerpack 2" has a 2007 date on the box.

Or, do I apply the individual aircraft patches for "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" as they are all dated 2008 and 2009?

I suspect "Aircraft Powerpack 2" aircraft do need patching as the Mustang acts really weird sometimes (flipping and jumping around after some hard turns).

Soooo.... do I patch or not and if so which patch's?

Thanks;
Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I think you have to apply the WWII Fighters update patch (v1.2 I think it is). As I recall, a tell-tale whether or not you need it is whether the Bf109E only has one skin/model--as originally released--or it has three including a tropical variant, as provided by the update. It shouldn't hurt anything to install the patch even if the DVD already installed the most current version, so I think it is best to just do it if you're not sure.

After that, do all four individual FSX update patches.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Ah so!!!

My BF109 does have three versions so it looks like the dates tell the tale. The 1.2 patch is dated Oct-31-2006 while the "Aircraft Powerpack 2" is dated 2007 which indicates it already has the patch. I will go ahead and apply it anyway (just in case).

I will also apply the other four patches.

Will be nice to get them all flying well again.

Thanks again for your help.

Doc

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Yes, she can be a beast to handle at slow speeds.

I recall seeing a video where Chuck Yeager was talking about his experiences in WWII with the P-51; he made a newbe mistake by taking off on a long mission and forgot about the 70 extra gallons of fuel in the auxiliary tank behind him. He applied full power and almost lost it as the balance point was so upset by the extra fuel. Chuck said he tuned a pale white and every shade of green as he realized what almost happened.

Some pilots forgot to use all the 70 gallons first and went into battle with a poorly balanced plane, a mistake many of them never came back from.

Thankfully, we Flight Simmers can simply do a "reset" and do it all over again.

HAPPY FLYING.
Doc

DocLotus
Airman First Class

Post by DocLotus »

Hi;

An eariler post in this thread I said...

"I am totally confused about patches for the boxed sets."
AND
"I know there is a "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch (for FSX). I just bought the "Aircraft Powerpack 2" (also for FSX only) but do not see any patches for it. Do I apply the "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch? Or, no patch at all as it is already patched? The "Wings of POWER II: WWII Fighters" patch is dated Oct-31-2006 while the "Aircraft Powerpack 2" has a 2007 date on the box."

Just noticed something really weird about the "Aircraft Powerpack 2"...
A: On the box it is called... "Aircraft Powerpack 2".
B: The cover for the instructions also call it... "Aircraft Powerpack 2".
C: BUT... The second page in the book calls it "Wings of Power II, WWII Fighters, Gold Edition."

No wonder I was totally confused.

WHY DO MANUFACTURES DO THAT SORT OF THING???

I believe the site for "WWII Fighters" should say...
"Wings of Power II, WWII Fighters" AND "Aircraft Powerpack 2".

It should all be spelled out just to be clear.

This would have totally eliminated any need for this thread and all the confusion.

What do you think?

Doc

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”