Spitfire - Fuel Boost switch

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Mustang1911
Airman

Spitfire - Fuel Boost switch

Post by Mustang1911 »

In the Spitfire VC the Fuel Boost switch cannot be activated/deactivate. It seems to be hard-stuck together with the Starter switch (if you click either one they both flip up/down as if they are one object).

The Spitfire instructions say to turn the fuel boost ON as part of the landing procedure, and set it to 'normal' after take off. This cannot be done. Doesn't have any effect in FS9 or FSX.

The other WWII Fighters aircraft have working fuel pumps, as do many of the default FSX airplanes, so it's definitely possible to have a fuel boost switch that works correctly in FSX.

Is there a way I can fix this myself in the spitfire's aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg ? If not, can you please fix this for us in a patch?

Although the spit is perfectly flyable the way it is, it is very disconcerting to turn the boost on/off and witness it have no effect and at the same time see the starter switch flipping up/down all by itself like its haunted. Really takes you out of the sim.

Flew the Spitfire up to 37,500ft tonight over Kentucky, and then landed, and fuel pressure was never a problem.

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

I'm a bit confused by the question.

Do you mean an electric boost pump for the fuel tanks like what is installed on the Zero or P51?

If so, it's a misprint in the manual.

There was no fuel boost (or booster pump as some call it) in the early 'Baby' Spitfires (MKI-VI).

Cheers

Paul

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Do you mean the Boost Coil?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mustang1911
Airman

Post by Mustang1911 »

Thanks to both of you :oops:

Missprint in the instructions -- doh! That actually didn't occur to me. So much for RTFM. Should have trusted my brain more than my eyes.

Upon closer zoom-in on the switches I now see the switch I'm refering to is not labeled "Boost", but rather "Boost Coil"! Which explains why it does operate in conjunction with the starter, and why the hover-over text says "Starter Switch".

OK, false alarm. Everyone back to the cockpit. And you! Put that stewardess back the upright position! We'll have none of that Mile-High Club stuff on my flight.

Nachtflieger
Airman

Re:

Post by Nachtflieger »

Mustang1911 wrote:Thanks to both of you :oops:

Missprint in the instructions -- doh! That actually didn't occur to me. So much for RTFM. Should have trusted my brain more than my eyes.

Upon closer zoom-in on the switches I now see the switch I'm refering to is not labeled "Boost", but rather "Boost Coil"! Which explains why it does operate in conjunction with the starter, and why the hover-over text says "Starter Switch".

OK, false alarm. Everyone back to the cockpit. And you! Put that stewardess back the upright position! We'll have none of that Mile-High Club stuff on my flight.
The original Wings of Power FS9/FSX Spitfire does not call for turning on a boost pump in the checklist or instructions so I take it this is a later version.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”