B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

A Living Legend
boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Re: B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

Post by boris4356 »

I finished the sliding side windows.

The final product looks so simple and straight forward, but it took a lot of trial and error to get to there. This was the first attempt at the bottom window frame. It was made from wood and was going to be covered in aluminum. It just didn't look right, and was too bulky. It didn't flow well with the glare wings.

Then I tried using aluminum screwed to a wood frame slotted to allow for the sliding window. It looked better, but was still too blocky looking. The problem was the square extrusion to allow for the sliding window mechanism.

This is what I ended up doing. I just flattened out the square protrusion, making it longer so that It could stretch out farther and allow for the sliding window to not bind.

This is the back of the bottom window frame. You can see the wood frame.

Cut strips for the window trim

The trim strips attached together with two sided tape folded in half and screwed to window.

All window frame parts screwed on and weathered

I used 1/4" plexiglass for the side windows, and attached the handle and the trip contacts for the switch

I cut two 1 1/2 strips of plexiglass for the window handle, I fused them together with acetone from a hypodermic needle, and attached the assembly to the window in the same manner.

I drilled two 1/4" holes in the plexiglass and attached the switch trip contacts with hex head screws. The position of the contacts can be precisely adjusted by loosing the nut and sliding the bar. the two holes circled in pencil are for the switch bracket.

You can see the two switch trip contacts, and the switch bracket. The front trip contact opens the window in the sim, and the back trip contact shuts the window

Image[/url]

Here is a closeup of the switch. It is a DPDT mini toggle switch with one side connected to a BU0836X card to control the open shut movement in the sim. The other side of the switch is connected to a 140 mm fan and a 12 volt power supply. When you slide the window open in the sim, it also starts the fan at the same time to give you the sensation that you have in reality just opened a window. You can feel a gentle breeze, and it feels very realistic. The reverse happens when you shut the window.

The 140 MM fan with mounting brackets screwed on

Here is the fan mounted just above the window. I had to have it angled to feel right, so it didn't fit in with the slope of the deckhead. i decided to mount it outside the quilting and make a cover to make it blend in better.

I made a template of the fan from cardboard, then scribed it onto aluminum and painted it.

Fan with cover

I cut and painted a piece of aluminum to place a few inches behind the fan on the outside frame to camoflage the fan opening

Side window closed

Side Window open

The Co-pilots side is exactly the same only in reverse.

Bill

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That window is just awesome, I love that it works with the sim too 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:That window is just awesome, I love that it works with the sim too 8)

cheers,
Lewis
Thanks Lewis!

It really adds another dimension to reality. Now I just have to figure out how to activate various odours as well when the windows are opened for the complete sensory experience! :lol:

Bill

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

If you ever find a perfume that smells like a B-17, please let me know. I have been looking to buy that for my wife in ages... :mrgreen:

No she doesn't read what I post here....
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Tomas Linnet wrote:If you ever find a perfume that smells like a B-17, please let me know. I have been looking to buy that for my wife in ages... :mrgreen:

No she doesn't read what I post here....
I like that Tomas! :lol:
If I do find some I will be sure to let you know!

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Just wanted to let anyone who might still be following this thread know that I went back and re-posted all the pics that had disappeared.

When I was looking for the replacement pics on my back up hard drive I came across photos of the inside construction of my throttle quad that I had never originally posted for some reason or another. I have posted them now with a short write up on page 2 of this thread.

Bill

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks Boris it's a great project. Maybe you could show your story via a blog or website too? Be a shame for it not be shown off a bit more :)

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Thanks Boris it's a great project. Maybe you could show your story via a blog or website too? Be a shame for it not be shown off a bit more :)

Cheers,
Lewis

Your welcome Lewis! I may look into that.

Bill

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

So I am a bit late reading this page but I would like to say anyone can build a sliding window (most do not so I think your implementation and the problems you solved is great), but adding the fan for the sensation of fresh air coming in when the window is open, that is sheer genius! I look forward to seeing more.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Agreed DC3 this is a true labour of love with some real creativity into the build.

Thanks,
Lewis

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

DC3 wrote:So I am a bit late reading this page but I would like to say anyone can build a sliding window (most do not so I think your implementation and the problems you solved is great), but adding the fan for the sensation of fresh air coming in when the window is open, that is sheer genius! I look forward to seeing more.
Lewis - A2A wrote:Agreed DC3 this is a true labour of love with some real creativity into the build.

Thanks,
Lewis

Thanks guys!

Bill

matze
Airman Basic

Post by matze »

Hello
.... We have to recreate a flight simulator of a B 17 before detail. Therefore we are looking for the cockpit dimensions such. B. width of the cockpit, the size of the instrument panel, center console with Throttle Quadrant, etc. Has anyone here something like this perhaps? And if not, anyone here knows how we could come to a plan with technical dimensions otherwise.
Matze
Thanks M u M

Samster
Airman First Class

Post by Samster »

NICE! I love it! Although I have been working on a... shall we say BIG project! A full size instrument panel of a B-17G flying fortress! All gauges will work. All switches will work. Will also have 3D surround on monitors on top. Also, It will be painted original colors! Pitchers coming up soon.

-love you work,

-Samster

PS: I have been a pilot on B-17's in a past life ;)
The bad news is time flies. Good news is you're the pilot.

Samster
Airman First Class

Post by Samster »

The bad news is time flies. Good news is you're the pilot.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Nice!

You should start a separate topic for your project and keep us updated with your progress!

Bill

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”