Another Repaint...

A Living Legend
blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Re: Another Repaint...

Post by blackhawks »

Purely a selfish bump to get this back on the 1st page. :twisted:

I've spoken with Eric a few times (his dad flew on Miasis Dragon) and apparently there were 2 in the 452nd, and I did te wrong one. I'll be revising this one, painting the correct one, and a few more from the 452nd in the coming weeks. These are in addition to the Coastal command paint for Sean, and probably another P40 or Spit or both.

There's your August update :).
-mike

cwais
Airman Basic

Post by cwais »

In a previous post, you asked for a nose picture of the "Windy Lou" B-17. My father, Philip O. Darr, was the pilot of the Windy Lou and named the plane for his city, Chicago, and my Mother, Lou. My father passed away in 1975. My Mother is 91 and doing great.

Tomorrow I have the honor of riding in a B-17 as it visits Cincinnati. It is a special birthday present from my husband. He knows how much I loved my father and miss him. And doing this on 9/11 makes it even more memorable.

I do have photos of the Windy Lou if you still need one.

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Hi,
Yes please. I'm interested in any and all aircraft photos/info you want to share. The movie version turned out ok, but I'd love to paint the actual plane.

Have a blast on your B-17 ride, I hope to do that someday. I'm at least going up to see Aluminum Overcast next weekend in Wisconsin.

Glad to hear your mom is doing well at 91. My grandfather is the same age, though he sometimes claims to be 92, and still pretty spry.
-mike

cwais
Airman Basic

Post by cwais »

Mike - the ride on the B-17 was amazing. What a wonderful way to honor my father and to commemorate 9-11. I am trying to attach a photo of the nose of the Windy Lou. Let me know if you receive it.

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

I don't think the forum will let you post anything directly. You can link to it if you have it online (flickr, snapfish, etc.) Or you can email me... mike [at] mikesrepaints.com

Glad the ride went well :)
Last edited by blackhawks on 12 Sep 2011, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Ok I've finally had a bit of time to paint again, and I've revised the "Miasis Dragon" repaint to the actual plane Eric's dad was on.
43-37802 B17G-70-BO fortress 452nd BG, 728th Squadron. This aircraft survived the war and wound up at Kingman.

I took the time to update the bombs on the artwork, and I think this one looks better than my first attempt.

Here she is, delivered to Calgary for Eric and available for download at my site.

The other 452nd BG plane of the same name (44-8531) has also been updated and reposted.
Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

I have a new paint coming in the next post. First, just a little housekeeping. Trying to keep everything in one place, these are some request paints that I've done in other threads.

Filming ship, and the plane that made the famous shadow in Dr. Strangelove.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25509

RAF Coastal command with the Maritime color scheme. Nathan has a version of this style on his site with one of the other RAF paint schemes.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25871
Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

In an earlier post, Chris had mentioned her dad flew on "Windy Lou" and emailed me a few of her pictures. With that much detail, this is the easiest repaint I've ever done. Thanks to Ian P, I now know how to "correctly" use ModelConverterX, and that also helped speed things along. I forgot to ask Chris if it was ok to post her pictures, so instead, here is one I found on WIX.

I took a lot of time looking at Martin's version of Joker, and did quite a lot of revision on my specular files and am pretty happy with this one.

Ready to go on my site as usual, hope you like it.

EDIT: Here are some more original pics of Windy Lou. Thanks to Chris for the permission to post.

Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

So I was digging through pictures to finish a few repaints that have been "in progress" forever, when I saw a picture of this nose art. Of course, I was instantly derailed and had to go find out as much as I could about it. Then I thought, "Hey, I could get that done pretty quickly" Next thing I know it is the wee hours of the morning, and I have the lyrics to "Arthur McBride" stuck in my head.

42-31987 "Shilaylee" and her strongly irish influenced crew, flew several missions until they were shot down (in a replacement aircraft) on June 5, 1944. 42-31987 was then at some point switched to the 350th squadron of the 100th and renamed. She had a rather famous last mission. Do a search for "Piggy Back" on the 100th BG site.

Other than the nose art, my favorite thing about this aircraft was the whitewall tires painted on by her crew chief. About time we had a little class around here. :)

Hope you enjoy. I'll be the guy asleep at the hockey game tonight.
Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

cwais
Airman Basic

Post by cwais »

Thank you for honoring the memory of my father and the Windy Lou! Yes, please share the photos! Chris
blackhawks wrote:In an earlier post, Chris had mentioned her dad flew on "Windy Lou" and emailed me a few of her pictures. With that much detail, this is the easiest repaint I've ever done. Thanks to Ian P, I now know how to "correctly" use ModelConverterX, and that also helped speed things along. I forgot to ask Chris if it was ok to post her pictures, so instead, here is one I found on WIX.

I took a lot of time looking at Martin's version of Joker, and did quite a lot of revision on my specular files and am pretty happy with this one.

Ready to go on my site as usual, hope you like it.

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

I added the Windy Lou pics to the post. Thanks Chris!!
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Finally, after a little time off, I'm back to my to-do list. Here is another 452nd BG aircraft, 42-102660 "Sack Time Sioux". Stanley G Olson flew 8 of his 30 combat missions in this aircraft. He did 10 more of them on 43-37802 "Miassis Dragon." Stan passed away on October 20th, and I've promised his son Eric, that I'd paint as many of these as I can. I have at least one more in progress, 42-107087 "Big Barn Smell."

According to Eric, Stan is on the right in the front row.

Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Here she is "Big Barn Smell" B-17G-35-DL Fortress 42-107087. Built by Douglas Long Beach so a good candidate to use with "Warbird's" weathered cockpit with the douglas yoke caps on it. Eric's dad Stan only had one mission on this ship, but after finding this picture, i knew I'd take a shot at painting it...

Taking the new silver and OD schemes I spent way too much time making for "shilaylee" and "sack time sioux" and mashing them together... we get this:

Info on the 452nd is a bit sketchy on the web, but this site http://www.emolachance.com/42-107087.html has some detail on the aircraft.

Up on my site, actually since yesterday I'm a little slow posting this. Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by blackhawks on 23 Jan 2012, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Since the emergency landing, Liberty Belle, has been the most downloaded of my repaints. I finally took the time to go back over it and clean a few things up. Nose art is more crisp, yellow stripes in the correct place (this had been fixed since june), Spec files are better (less shiny, like the actual aircraft was), and I fixed the serial number typo in the read me/config. :oops:

Anyway, I feel it is worth the few minute download, if it is one of the repaints you actually fly.
-mike

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Beauty paints Mike and course a brilliant aircraft for them :D

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”