Excessive Carb Heat Problem

A Living Legend
new reply
DavidW
Airman First Class

Excessive Carb Heat Problem

Post by DavidW »

I have just got back to flying this wonderful 'plane, my first A2A purchase and others have followed since, but over the past two flights I have encountered something new which I am unable to find a solution to despite searching for an answer.

As soon as I am ready to taxi the co-pilot tells me to watch my carb heat temperatures. The intercoolers are wide open as well as the cowl flaps before closing them to 33% prior to the take off run.

The co-pilot was in control of the RPM levers.

Yesterday I was flying from KEDW (Edwards Air Force base) up to SFR (Hamilton Field) and approaching the runway to take off the carb heat was perilously close to the red line and two of the engines were almost 230C.

I know that for carb ice it is increase turbo (it wasn't active at the time) and decrease the throttles and I guess it should be the opposite when the carb air is hot but that doesn't appear to be the answer either.

I am at a loss how to counter this although after a three hour flight, nothing less in this wonderful plane, and after landing the maintenance hanger showed everything was okay except for a small oil leak on number four engine.

Much obliged if someone could point me in the right direction to solve this.

I am planning to do a long haul flight from Hamilton Field to Hickham Field either on 29th or 31st August. (The wife's away. :D )

On a side note I must be doing something right because on three consecutive occasions the crew have praised my landings which have been smooth and I think I heard the word over the intercom "peachey". :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Excessive Carb Heat Problem

Post by Gypsy Baron »

If you were running with real weather I suspect that the OAT was 30C or greater. I had a carb temp warning yesterday as I prepared to take off from McDill AAF base. Inn these cases one needs to get to the runway and into the air ASAP.

I taxied to the runway then shut down for awhile until carb temps came down. Then I fired up and got into the air with no additional warnings.

With high OAT all you can do is use the lowest throttle settings possible.

Paul

DavidW
Airman First Class

Re: Excessive Carb Heat Problem

Post by DavidW »

Gypsy Baron wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:48 If you were running with real weather I suspect that the OAT was 30C or greater. I had a carb temp warning yesterday as I prepared to take off from McDill AAF base. Inn these cases one needs to get to the runway and into the air ASAP.

I taxied to the runway then shut down for awhile until carb temps came down. Then I fired up and got into the air with no additional warnings.

With high OAT all you can do is use the lowest throttle settings possible.

Paul
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I was indeed flying with real weather and the OAT was rather high yesterday in that part of the USA.

Now I know how to what to do when this happens again.

Regards,

David
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”