B17 won't start P3Dv5

A Living Legend
Daytona125
Airman Basic

B17 won't start P3Dv5

Post by Daytona125 »

Anyone else having this problem, can anyone help?
Can't get this wonderful plane to start. There is fuel and fuel pressure, mags are all on and the master is on, everything looks great to start. I have to add the plane won't even auto start for me. HELP. I LOVE this plane!!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: B17 won't start P3Dv5

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What is the outside temp , what fuel grade , and what oil grade are you using , did you under or over prim the engine , i find 2 or 3 shots are needed on mine.
Have you got auto mixture unchecked , are there any broken bits in the hangar.
I have the FSX version , so dont know if this is a fault of the new P3D version or operator error .
regards alan. 8)

Daytona125
Airman Basic

Post by Daytona125 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 11:01 Hi.
What is the outside temp , what fuel grade , and what oil grade are you using , did you under or over prim the engine , i find 2 or 3 shots are needed on mine.
Have you got auto mixture unchecked , are there any broken bits in the hangar.
I have the FSX version , so dont know if this is a fault of the new P3D version or operator error .
regards alan. 8)
Thanks Alan, got it working properly. Un-installed and re-installed then restarted computer, don't know which fixed it because I did them both at the same time but working great now. THANKS!!!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear you're in business Daytona125 and thanks Alan for chiming in. :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

I'm having this problem as well
I saw this post and re-installed rebooted and it worked like a champ once
Now it won't start again manually, but in auto start engine 1 starts and runs for about 2 min.
Thanks
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rick and welcome.

Please can you give us a bit more info so that we can help you get the B-17 started.

For example, which sim platform are you using, and are you following the checklist when you try to start the engine? One important thing is to make sure that your throttle axis is advanced a bit when starting and warming up.

Also, have you checked the points Alan mentions above, such as checking the hangar and making sure that "auto-mixture" is unticked?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

Both v4, and v5 I got them to start manually in both sims
In both the auto start starts #1, but the other 3 won't start and #1 only runs for a minute or or so
I also noticed there's no popup for the auto pilot you have to open the shift+3 to get it open and if you switch views it disengages unless you undock it
The mouse pointer jumps around when the popups are open as well
as for your other questions, I keep the manuals and checklists handy.....not real good about using them except when in the real world, I haven't used automix since FS2002, and I always check the hanger :)
Thanks
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Rick. Sounds like there's an issue somewhere with your setup. Please can you let us know if you've modified your default scenario in P3D, and if so, which aircraft loads when you launch this default flight?

Could you also let us know if any other utilities are running at the same time as the B-17. For example, programs which may affect P3D behaviour such as FSUIPC or camera add-ons.

By default the autopilot 2D pop-up is opened with the Shift 9 key combination. The autopilot option in the Shift 3 panel is primarily to switch between the C-1 and basic autopilot options.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Nick,

I have the same issue with the auto-start. I'm running P3Dv5, LINDA 3.2.6.1111, and FSUIPC6.0.11 (registered). I usually manually start everything, so it's not been an issue for me, but I'd heard from others that the auto-start doesn't go past engine one, and I'd tested it back when I first installed P3Dv5 and the AccuSim B-17. Only engine one started then, and having just tested it again a few minutes ago, only engine one still starts.

When I select auto start, everything works as it has in the past, up to the point of engine one turning over and starting. Once it starts, nothing else happens with the other three. Engine one blows smoke like crazy, and with the throttle at full it only reaches just about 1,500 RPM. Doing a cold and dark shut down, and immediately following up with a manual start up, engine one started up and acted normal (i.e. no smoke and reaching 2,500 RPM). However, although engines two, three, and four also started up and acted normal, there was no inertial sound, and no "Clear prop" voice.

Al "Chevalier"

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the post Al,

I've just done some testing of this specific scenario, and I found I can reproduce the issue (auto-start not going past engine one) if I perform a cold start immediately followed by an auto-start.

We'll investigate this issue for the next update. However, in the meantime, a workaround seems to be simply to reload the B-17 between the cold start and the auto-start (or indeed before manually starting).

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Hey Nick,

Thanks for looking into this so quickly, and especially for taking the time to test it out. It is very much appreciated, yet also something I've come to expect from A2A. It's not just your products that make me a dedicated customer; it's also your customer support.

Al "Chevalier"

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

My thanks as well
it does the same thing for the auto start in V4 too
everything works great in v4, but in v5 there's something goofy with the auto pilot.....maybe I'm doing something wrong here.....
As I posted earlier there's no 2d panel shift+9 and it disengages when you switch views, a, shift+a, s, shift+s
This may be a topic for a different post as well
Thanks again
Rick

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Captthud wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 17:32 ...but in v5 there's something goofy...
Today, we call them bugs...back then, we called 'em gremlins. :P

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Captthud wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 17:32 everything works great in v4, but in v5 there's something goofy with the auto pilot.....maybe I'm doing something wrong here.....
As I posted earlier there's no 2d panel shift+9 and it disengages when you switch views, a, shift+a, s, shift+s
Hi Rick,

Are you sure you haven't simply remapped the Shift 9 key combo in P3Dv5? To double check the basic functionality, you can also open the autopilot 2D panel by clicking the "Vehicle" top menu in P3D and then selecting "Autopilot" under "Instrument Panel".

It's normal for the 2D panel to be closed when you switch views, but you can change this behaviour by adding the line "type=special" to the relevant section in the panel.cfg. In this case, it's the section shown below.

[Window08]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=442,570
pixel_size=442,570
position=5
visible=0
ident=54
sizable=0
type=special

The panel.cfg can be found in "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_b17g\panel". If editing it, I'd recommend you back up the file first.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

All seems to be working now.....not sure what I was doing wrong
Thanks
Rick

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”