Coordinated Turns

A Living Legend
new reply
PilotSev
Airman Basic

Coordinated Turns

Post by PilotSev »

Hello A2A community! First off I want to say I own many A2A products and have enjoyed them thoroughly, so thank you! However, I have noticed something a little annoying regarding the B17. It seems the turn coordinator does not work realistically. I have seen that this was an issue on FSX before and seen people mention the issue on this forum. However, I was wondering if there are any chances that the turn coordinator would be fixed as it has now been updated to v4-5. Many thanks and keep up the good work!

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Re: Coordinated Turns

Post by Artur »

That is something i was wondering about, recently tried to do coordinated tight turn with full rudder deflection and got jerky turn, completely unrealistic

P3D5

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
With practice you can get coordinated turns , the real aircraft needed lots of rudder compared to aileron imput to turn the beast , i find if i start a turn with rudder and then imput aileron as required its easier to coordinate the turn , rudder peddles make things easier aswell as opposed to twist sticks.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Coordinated turn is not that hard, i said that during turn and big rudder deflection plane was turning not smoothly but in the jerky and jumping way, with smaller rudder deflection turn was smooth but not fully coordinated.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Artur wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 11:17 Coordinated turn is not that hard, i said that during turn and big rudder deflection plane was turning not smoothly but in the jerky and jumping way, with smaller rudder deflection turn was smooth but not fully coordinated.
Check your controller settings and make sure you have no axis with double assignments. This will sometimes cause jerky movement of a control surface due to axis conflict.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

ok, that is a hint - will check that

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

I agree that you may have a controller issue.
I have no difficulty with coordinated turns in the ‘17.
Hopefully you can sort it out!
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

PilotSev
Airman Basic

Post by PilotSev »

I think two separate issues are being discussed here. What I was originally referring to is that it requires full rudder to center the ball on the turn coordinator after the turn is established and ailerons are neutral. Yes some rudder should be required when entering and exiting the turn to account for adverse yaw, but, once in the turn controls should be mostly neutral- save for elevator to compensate for the change in the vertical lift component. I have verified with several other users, on the A2A discord and elsewhere, that it seems the actual turn coordinator doesn't work correctly. In fact, A2A acknowledged this back in the day on the forum as a limit of the accusim tech at the time- and recently someone posted of the same issue in the new version. Lastly, I am using pedals and a hotas that has worked swimmingly with all other products and sim settings are set as A2A prescribes. Hoping someone from A2A can comment as if this were fixed I feel the B17 would be elevated to the normal as real it can get A2A quality.

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I made the same query a couple of weeks ago. Nick from A2A stated: "There are no changes to the ball logic or any of the Accu-Sim 'innards' in the B-17 I'm afraid. Because it uses an older generation of Accu-Sim compared to the newer 'core' models like the T-6, the code has been left alone as much as possible, for now at any rate."

Therefore, Accusim aircraft released from the T-6 onward incorporate newer core code that fixes the turn coordinator issue. However, as Nick describes, Accusim aircraft released earlier than the T-6 haven't yet been internally updated at the core level. In short, the new B-17 version is compatible with P3D but does not include any new features or fixes over the older FSX version.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”