Prop animation

A Living Legend
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Prop animation

Post by Artur »

Want to ask if i am correct with observation that something is not right with propeller animation.
When in cruise with throttle set and locked i see that propellers animation change constantly.
It looks like either rpm or blades pitch oscillate all the time.
Any thoughts ?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Prop animation

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Artur.
How do you control the throttles , as the throttle lock only locks the throttles in the VC , but any controller you have set to throttles , will still move the throttles , unless you have a home built cockpit with lockable throttles to mimic the real aircraft , same goes for props/mix levers.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Alan, so in ur case prop discs are 'constant' and without changes ?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Artur.
I dont use the control locks because my controls go through FSUIPC in FSXA , and if i catch the controls they will move with locks on or off , but dont forget there will be a strobe effect on the props that can make it look like things are changing , when they are not , depending on the RPM set .
Also i have trackIR5 and props appear to fluctuate depending on my view angle , and inboards look different from outboards , with all RPMs matching , as it would if you was on a real aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Artur wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 06:44 Want to ask if i am correct with observation that something is not right with propeller animation.
When in cruise with throttle set and locked i see that propellers animation change constantly.
It looks like either rpm or blades pitch oscillate all the time.
Any thoughts ?
Prop disk antimation is something that requires a lot of expertise to get just right. The way we did it is very close to the real thing. In real life the way a prop disk appears in flight varies constantly due to various factors. The disk can look solid or it can appear in constant change as the angle of the sun or other factors affect it.
For the sim, the worst visual for a propeller in operation is a non-changing disk as that depicts no motion, especially rotation.
To be correct for the sim, the disk should gradually fade the visual in and out to give the best depiction of rotation.
Our Mustang is a good example of how effective this can be.
I know our team worked hard to get this right and right now at least in P3D v.5 what I'm seeing looks normal to my eye.
Keep in mind I'm assuming no issues with your installation. What I've written above is simply how we did this effect and how it loks in real life.
Dudley Henriques

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Thank u for explanation and i trust ur expertise :-)

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 06:57 Hi Artur.
How do you control the throttles , as the throttle lock only locks the throttles in the VC , but any controller you have set to throttles , will still move the throttles , unless you have a home built cockpit with lockable throttles to mimic the real aircraft , same goes for props/mix levers.
regards alan. 8)
Not quite true. I haven't done this for the throttles (yet) but I have for the mixture controls, which I've assigned--not to an axis, but an offset--in FSUIPC. In the VC the mixture controls are locked, but when I adjust the mixture setting it invokes a LUA script that first unlocks the mixture levers, then moves the lever to its new setting, then relocks them again. I could, very easily, instead of having the lock/unlock function working in conjunction with the mixture lever, assign that to its own axis/lever, so that it prevents the mixture levers moving either VC or RL unless the programmed mixture lock lever was unlocked.

And if that can be done for the mixture levers, there's no reason it can't be done to the throttles, either. It would just require a lever, button, or switch programmed as the lock/unlock.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”