Physical yoke and in sim yoke differ - What can I change to make them the same?

A Living Legend
new reply
UKJim
Senior Airman

Physical yoke and in sim yoke differ - What can I change to make them the same?

Post by UKJim »

So here is my issue - I have a physical yoke that turns 180 degrees - but the yoke in the sim for the B17 does not - it's like 90 degrees or less. What this means is, I have to turn my physical yoke fully 180 degrees to get the B17 yoke to turn fully. This makes it almost impossible to fly with my yoke atm.

Is there a setting in the aircraft config that I could change for the B17 that will increase the sensitivity and maybe match my physical yoke movement? I know this would make it not as realistic but would mean I can use my yoke to fly the aircraft.

Thanks,
Jim

Masterius
Senior Airman

Re: Physical yoke and in sim yoke differ - What can I change to make them the same?

Post by Masterius »

Do you use FSUIPC? I know how to do that in a registered copy of FSUIPC.

What sim are you using?

What yoke are you using?

UKJim
Senior Airman

Re: Physical yoke and in sim yoke differ - What can I change to make them the same?

Post by UKJim »

Masterius wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 12:52 Do you use FSUIPC? I know how to do that in a registered copy of FSUIPC.

What sim are you using?

What yoke are you using?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I have just registered FSUIPC and I am using P3Dv5. The yoke is the Fulcrum One yoke, but I think once I see what you are changing in FSUIPC, I should be able to tweak it and see myself.

Cheers,
Jim

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

I went into FSUIPC and in the joystick tab - I set slopes/curves to maximum for both aileron and elevator, this helped, but if there is a better way, I am interested :)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hmmmm, it sounds to me like it is working, but you have the benefit of 180degree rotation for better accuracy, can you fly the C172 and C182?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

1) Open the sim, then open FSUIPC
2) Go to Joystick calibration (this is assuming you've already mapped the aileron for that; don't tick "send to FS as normal axis" but, instead, tick "send direct to FSUIPC calibration)
3) Select 1 of 11: Main Flight controls
4) Click "SET" for ailerons; three additional set buttons will now appear (if you've already done so, skip to next step)
5) Rotate your yoke as far right as you desire to achieve "full turn"; click that direction's "SET" button.
6) Rotate your yoke as far left as you desire to achieve "full turn"; click that direction's "SET" button.
7) Leave the middle "SET" at zero.

For instance, it seems as if your physical yoke turns a full 90 degrees clockwise (right) and counterclockwise (left), for a total of 180 degrees travel, and you want to only move a total of 90 (45 each direction). Following the above directions, you're setting the max deflections however you wish. Should you rotate your physical yoke 45 degrees clockwise and SET MAX that deflection, and the rotate 45 degrees counterclockwise 45 degrees and SET MIN, your physical yoke now needs only travel 90 degrees for your sim yoke to move 90 as well.

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Masterius wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 17:50 1) Open the sim, then open FSUIPC
2) Go to Joystick calibration (this is assuming you've already mapped the aileron for that; don't tick "send to FS as normal axis" but, instead, tick "send direct to FSUIPC calibration)
3) Select 1 of 11: Main Flight controls
4) Click "SET" for ailerons; three additional set buttons will now appear (if you've already done so, skip to next step)
5) Rotate your yoke as far right as you desire to achieve "full turn"; click that direction's "SET" button.
6) Rotate your yoke as far left as you desire to achieve "full turn"; click that direction's "SET" button.
7) Leave the middle "SET" at zero.

For instance, it seems as if your physical yoke turns a full 90 degrees clockwise (right) and counterclockwise (left), for a total of 180 degrees travel, and you want to only move a total of 90 (45 each direction). Following the above directions, you're setting the max deflections however you wish. Should you rotate your physical yoke 45 degrees clockwise and SET MAX that deflection, and the rotate 45 degrees counterclockwise 45 degrees and SET MIN, your physical yoke now needs only travel 90 degrees for your sim yoke to move 90 as well.
Thanks for this,I will more than likely use this for the B17. Currently I increased the slope and that seems to work OK - but the above would be better as I would remove the slope and have the actual rotation instead.
Thanks for sharing and proividing the steps - I appreciate it.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Just curious, why would they design a yoke that turns 180 degrees, and in what case would you ever use it at 180 degrees?

Thanks,

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

TBryson2 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 08:06 Just curious, why would they design a yoke that turns 180 degrees, and in what case would you ever use it at 180 degrees?

Thanks,

TB2
In some real world aircraft the yoke does turn all that way, likewise in others it does not. So it is difficult to make a sim yoke to cater for situation/plane available in the sim. It adds to the immersion when you fly a plane that has 180 with a yoke of the same type too

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

UKJim wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 10:38
TBryson2 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 08:06 Just curious, why would they design a yoke that turns 180 degrees, and in what case would you ever use it at 180 degrees?

Thanks,

TB2
In some real world aircraft the yoke does turn all that way, likewise in others it does not. So it is difficult to make a sim yoke to cater for situation/plane available in the sim. It adds to the immersion when you fly a plane that has 180 with a yoke of the same type too
I understand why you would want the realism in your sim, (And I believe FSUIPC is the correct tool for this task), but I couldn't understand the reasoning behind a yoke going 180 degrees. You're in real trouble if you need that much flexibility! LOL! It only takes a small deflection to get the beast to turn, so I was just curious.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

TBryson2 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 12:55
UKJim wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 10:38

Thanks,

TB2
I understand why you would want the realism in your sim, (And I believe FSUIPC is the correct tool for this task), but I couldn't understand the reasoning behind a yoke going 180 degrees. You're in real trouble if you need that much flexibility! LOL! It only takes a small deflection to get the beast to turn, so I was just curious.

TB2
I completely understand, I mean when I flew the real world 172, small movements did enough - so god knows why plane companies have the yoke set so far.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

UKJim wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 06:31 Thanks for this,I will more than likely use this for the B17. Currently I increased the slope and that seems to work OK - but the above would be better as I would remove the slope and have the actual rotation instead.
Thanks for sharing and proividing the steps - I appreciate it.
You're very welcome! Have you tried this out yet? I'm curious how it's worked out for you.

Al "Chevalier"

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”