P3Dv4 B-17 can't steer on ground

A Living Legend
Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Re: P3Dv4 B-17 can't steer on ground

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi sext5vette,
I currently have the A2A B-17G in P3D ver. 5.1 HF1 and thought I would try a taxi test of this aircraft in light of your last comments.
---Since I do not have multiple throttle setup, I have the tailwheel configured to be steerable-- 72 is the setting I am using in the a/c cfg. file.
---I am using at this time a "light load" of fuel on board.

From a stand still I throttled up enough power to get the aircraft moving forward enough to make a full left taxi turn. To keep the aircraft moving forward in the left turn, throttle setting was 30"MP, RPM was 1500.
At the end of the left turn as the a/c straightened, I kept throttle setting the same to allow some forward speed to build up as I taxied in a straight line.
I throttled back to approx. 16" MP and approx. 1200 RPM to maintain a steady taxi speed of approx . 10 knots. I then made a tight right taxi turn--had to increase throttle again to keep aircraft momentum moving forward while using differential braking.
---I do know know how realistic these throttle settings are as I have given to you in comparison to a real world B17G. I have discovered that tight turns while taxing will take increasing power quite a bit to keep the aircraft moving forward plus using differential braking at the same time to aid in tight turns.
---Finally, I do hope that someone from A2A will read your latest comments regarding your difficulties taxing the B17G and share helpful further comments. I know it is frustrating but don't give up. For me it has take a lot of practice handling this larger, four engined aircraft on the ground.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Sorry, need to edit something:

"I do know know how realistic these throttle settings are"---- This should read, "I do not know how realistic these throttle settings are . . . ."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

sext5vette wrote: 06 May 2021, 20:54 Thanks for your reply. I have two throttle levers and I tried mapping engines 1 and 2 to one lever and 3 and 4 to the other lever and it didn't work. I have tried the Shift + 8 engine control and that didn't get it done either, I have modified the aircraft.cfg file as specified and that didn't work either. It worked a little bit but not enough to move the airplane around the airport. Since I had absolutely nothing to do this afternoon I taxied my B-17 from a spot not very far from the runway I needed to get to. This took almost 2 hours and most of the time I was in the grass. When I got to the runway I was perpendicular to it and to turn that 90 degrees I had to go a little forward, back up and repeat about 30 times. I had been using MSFS almost exclusively since I got it for Christmas. I went on the A2A forum site to see any news of aircraft they may be working on for MSFS. When I saw that the B-17 was now out for P3D4 and 5 I was really happy and immediately bought it. So far the only way I can fly it is to start in position on the runway and after the flight when I land just shut it off when I get it stopped. A2A really needs to fix this so us pilots who only have 1 or 2 throttle levers can enjoy it. At this point I feel like I just wasted the money. I guess I will just put it in mothballs and wait for a solution to be offered.
Hello,

If there was something to fix I'd be happy to help get that passed along for a fix however the more details you state the more it sounds like an issue with your particular setup. I've only got one throttle as the majority of users do and we don't have a forum flooded with issues and ive not experienced any particular issues taxi'ing so long as I am slow and a touch of brake to get the initial rotation. What points to a local issue the mose is the interesting part about you mentioning that even when you add cfg edits that would make it a breeze to steer it still wouldn't work, certainly points to a local tech issue you are experiencing with your particular setup.

Are you using brake at all to initial get the aircraft turning and how are your realism settings set in P3D as having those set incorrectly could cause the sort of issues you are seeing. However if the cfg change didn't do anything that is quite concerning as that's pretty much a binary 0/1 situation to easy turns using slow speed and the rudder alone. Are you sure you saved the cfg file?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

sext5vette

Post by sext5vette »

If there was something to fix I'd be happy to help get that passed along for a fix however the more details you state the more it sounds like an issue with your particular setup. I've only got one throttle as the majority of users do and we don't have a forum flooded with issues and ive not experienced any particular issues taxi'ing so long as I am slow and a touch of brake to get the initial rotation. What points to a local issue the mose is the interesting part about you mentioning that even when you add cfg edits that would make it a breeze to steer it still wouldn't work, certainly points to a local tech issue you are experiencing with your particular setup.

Are you using brake at all to initial get the aircraft turning and how are your realism settings set in P3D as having those set incorrectly could cause the sort of issues you are seeing. However if the cfg change didn't do anything that is quite concerning as that's pretty much a binary 0/1 situation to easy turns using slow speed and the rudder alone. Are you sure you saved the cfg file?
I am answering as SexT5Vette but I am actually BigT-65 I somehow lost that user name. Anyway, I am also starting to believe it is something in my system but I have no idea what. I Fly FSXSE, P3Dv4.5, and MSFS. I don't have many problems with most of the aircraft I have The only other plane it took awhile to get the taxi was the A2A Spitfire but that was a whole different issue. I have recalibrated my flight system and all the various controller settings. I've checked and rechecked that cfg file. I don't think I have any issues with computer power. So I don't know. I have decided that I will remap my flight system I may have some overlapping commands between the 3 sims. My flight system has a switch with three cannels where I can set up 3 different sims. Even if that doesn't do anything for the B-17 It will make my life easier in other ways. Maybe the first thing I should do is uninstall and reinstall the B-17. Here is a copy of the line in question from my B-17 cfg file.
point.0 = 1, -34.0045, 0, -4.0, 4000, 0, 1, 72, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 10, 8, 0, 135, 180 Does it look like it should work? Maybe something else has gone wrong with my cfg. If I delete it will it regenerate, or what?
I do use the brake when trying to taxi, I've tried tapping it and holding it down. It doesn't do much of anything except stop the airplane.
Thanks
BigT-65

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi BigT-65

--First here is what I copied from my a/c cfg. file from the B-17: point.0 = 1, -34.0045, 0, -4.0, 4000, 0, 1, 72, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 10, 8, 0, 135, 180
As you can see yours looks identical to mine. So that can be eliminated as a possible source of your problem. As far as I know, an aircraft cfg. file does not regenerate if you should delete it. The only cfg. file that does is the main sim cfg. file.
--Second, you noted previously that you have the A2A B-17G in your FSX-SE sim. You also noted it is difficult for you to taxi at least you could do it by using just rudder and brakes. My question is, why are you able to do so in FSX-SE but not in your P3D 4.5 sim? Has something changed in your throttle, rudder & brake setup? Are you operating the aircraft the same in P3D 4.5 as you do in FSX-SE?
--Finally, if I remember correctly from other posts, it's not a good idea to uninstall and reinstall an A2A aircraft. Maybe Lewis or another A2A individual can comment on that if I am correct.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Also, one other question BigT-65, when you are trying to taxi and you use the brakes or tap on the brakes (I assume differential braking while taxiing), what is your power setting (Manifold Pressure and RPM)? I find it necessary to have enough MP and RPM in order to keep this aircraft moving forward while using the differential brakes. If I fail to do so, the B-17 comes to a stop.

sext5vette

Post by sext5vette »

Ray Mengel wrote: 07 May 2021, 23:43 Hi BigT-65

--First here is what I copied from my a/c cfg. file from the B-17: point.0 = 1, -34.0045, 0, -4.0, 4000, 0, 1, 72, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 10, 8, 0, 135, 180
As you can see yours looks identical to mine. So that can be eliminated as a possible source of your problem. As far as I know, an aircraft cfg. file does not regenerate if you should delete it. The only cfg. file that does is the main sim cfg. file.
--Second, you noted previously that you have the A2A B-17G in your FSX-SE sim. You also noted it is difficult for you to taxi at least you could do it by using just rudder and brakes. My question is, why are you able to do so in FSX-SE but not in your P3D 4.5 sim? Has something changed in your throttle, rudder & brake setup? Are you operating the aircraft the same in P3D 4.5 as you do in FSX-SE?
--Finally, if I remember correctly from other posts, it's not a good idea to uninstall and reinstall an A2A aircraft. Maybe Lewis or another A2A individual can comment on that if I am correct.
The other day I went back to FSXSE to re-experience the B-17 there. Although a little tricky, taxiing the B-17 there was nothing like what I experience in the P3D v4.5 version. Some of the flight system button assignments are different from what I am now using in P3D but the flight stick settings are pretty much the same. Most if not all of the replies I get on this are from simmers using rudder pedals. I don't have any rudder pedals and use the twisting of the joystick to activate the rudder. I am beginning to wonder if this may be the problem. Here is another observation. As I am trying to turn the P3D B-17 I was watching the tail wheel up close from the outside. It does not deflect at all, just stays straight on. Does this seem right? In answer to the second part of your response I do keep the MP and RPMs up high enough to keep the plane from stopping when using the differential braking. I have tried to turn this thing at all kinds of speeds to no avail. Yesterday I did notice that I still had Use Auto Rudder checked off in my realism options. I was very optimistic that this could be it but, no. It is really bugging me that I seem to be the only person with this problem.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi BigT-65,

Just to inform you, I too do not have or use rudder pedals for my flight sim experience (P3D 5.1 Hf 1). I am using an older Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle combination. Like you, I too use the "twist" of the joystick to operate the rudder, trigger button to operate the a/c brakes, and am not experiencing the problem that you are experiencing with this aircraft.
---You noted that watching the aircraft from the outside view, the tail wheel does not deflect at all when trying to turn. That is a problem as the tail wheel should turn either to the left or right when using the rudder & differential braking during taxing for directional control.
---During taxiing, do you leave the tail wheel UNLOCKED? If the floor lever is in the "Locked" position, the tailwheel will not turn. That's the only thing I can think of that is causing your problem from what you noted. Do you have any other older aircraft in P3D ver. 4.5 that has a tail wheel? If so, are you experiencing the same type of taxing problem?
---Finally, the only thing else I can possibly think of, do you start P3D 4.5 with the Default Aircraft at the airport you are departing from and then select the B-17G? I have discovered that I need to do that with any of the A2A aircraft in my hangar. Not sure if that will make any difference in light of the problem you are experiencing but it may be worth a try.

sext5vette

Post by sext5vette »

The flight system I am using is the Saitek X56, I had an X52 in the closet, bur I don't think it is the stick and throttle. Every other plane I have works fine and even the B-17 is all good except for this taxiing problem.
I do have the tail wheel unlocked. Just for the heck of it I have tried it both on and off. No difference. I will try the default startup and see if that solves anything. I do have an A2A Spitfire but I had flown that since I got the B-17 and it was as ornery as always but it taxis just fine. I am going to try it again also.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

I just finished a flight in this aircraft and for me all works well when taxiing.
---Something else to check-- When you unlock\lock the tail wheel, do you see the tail wheel lever move up and down? Also, by the flap position indicator on the panel, there is a red indicator light. That should be on (illuminated), when the tail wheel is unlocked and the same indicator light will go out when the tail wheel is locked.
Are you using an assigned button on your joystick or throttle to operate the tail wheel locking/unlocking mechanism? If so, try either your mouse pointer (left click) on the tail wheel lever or Shift + G. I use either my mouse or Shift +G to operate the tail wheel lever.

Finally, I am hoping that one of the A2A fellows will chime in if they have any further suggestions for you. If all else fails, I guess you could try a uninstall and reinstall but I would only do that upon the advise of a A2A person.

sext5vette

Post by sext5vette »

As of yesterday I can now see the tailwheel moving when I use the rudder. But the plane still doesn't turn properly. It does turn, but the turn has a huge radius, probably over a mile. Not to good for navigating an airport. Making slight turns to stay straight is not too hard to do, but if I have to make a 90 degree turn forget it. I am waiting for clearance to uninstall and reinstall.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

So sorry to read that you are still having difficulty in directional control when taxing. I hope that either Lewis or Nick will read your latest post and advise you further especially if its okay to do an uninstall and reinstall of this aircraft. If you do not hear from them in a timely fashion, you might be able to "PM" either one of them through the forum. If you are familiar with the Avsim forum, you can PM members by clicking onto their avatar. Not sure if that's available on the A2A Forum.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

A reinstall, give it a try. However I would recommend 110% clean, so uninstall and then go into your directory to make sure no files are left behind for the B-17, restart the system and then install again.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

OK, thanks I am going for the re-install.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

Re-install is done. Taxi problem has been corrected. Thanks everyone who responded to this thread. The world is a better place. :D
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”