Main gear strength

A Living Legend
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Main gear strength

Post by Artur »

Just wondering if real plane had so weak gear ?
B17 was a heavy bomber suitable to land on grass fields, so obviously must be equipped with strong wheels, but sim B17 gear is so weak and fragile..., so often have to repair those even landing was far from 'heavy'.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Main gear strength

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What comments did you get on landing , that tells you how heavy or bad it was , if you thump it in you will break the gear , if the engineer says he has to take a look at the gear , then the landing was hard , if you get the co-pilot saying ( are we down yet ) it was a very soft landing , if the link breaks , it does not show in the hanger , first you know about it is if it will not retract or crank up , only way at this time to fix a broken link arm , is to fix all you see in the hanger , and shut sim down and restart sim , then it is fixed .
Also what was your rate of decent , ideal is about 250fpm or less indicated , nearer to 0fpm the better , heavy landings is a failure to flare correctly , or comming in to close to the stall , keep the speed at 110mph on approach as you flare let it drop to 100mph , she will then gently come down to the ground.
As of last nights flying i have 1094.7 hours on the memphisbelle .
regards Alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Alan, last time i land with rate around 300 and could hear moaning from my fellows, so still too harsh.
Don't u have feeling that whole landing and gears strength are a bit oversensitive as for heavy bomber ?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

More that 1000 hours - very respectable result Alan.
I have around 100 hours only :-)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Artur.
I am a member of the 91st bombardment group and CO of the 324th BS and instructor on the aircraft , on previous bomb missions , i have had to nurse her back with one good engine , two damaged engines but still running , and number 3 engine that had been on fire and had to use extinguisher and shut down and feather , and no flaps , they where jammed up , and right jammed gear half down , on finals i had to shut down and feather eng 4 and land on the left main , keeping right wing up as long as i could , now that takes a lot of concentration , to get as little damage as possible on touch down , as you only get one chance in them conditions .
regards Alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Do u have YT video to see one of ur bomb mission ?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Artur.
No i dont have videos of the bomb runs , as the flights can vary in length from 3 hrs to 9hrs plus for berlin , and being on FSX Acceleration , i have to watch the VAS carfully .
I have done videos for training help on the A2A L049/B17 precision landing test we do , on that test you have to hit the captains bars on the runway 3 times in a row in the B17 , sounds easy but its not , max precision landings in a row for me is 4 , i believe the current 91st record is about 7 in a row , without breaking the landing gear.
regards Alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”