A Living Legend
new reply
JanF
Airman First Class

This part in the checklist makes no sense to me

Post by JanF »

The checklist says
Takeoff
6 Open throttles slowly to full throttle (with runaway turbo, THROTTLE BACK FIRST then move manifold pressure selector
to “0”).
Should I first apply full throttle and then move them back and also set the manifold selector to zero ?
That would cut the power to the engines right ?! So I we could not take off ?!

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: This part in the checklist makes no sense to me

Post by Gypsy Baron »

That portion of the post refers to a runaway turbo situation, not a normal takeoff. Note the parenthesis.

Paul

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

Gypsy Baron wrote: 27 May 2021, 18:03 That portion of the post refers to a runaway turbo situation, not a normal takeoff. Note the parenthesis.

Paul

So that is an aborted take off.
What is a runaway turbo situation ?

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Yes, the runaway turbo would be cause for an aborted takeoff. Or in flight, the shut down and feathering of the engine experiencing the runaway turbo.

I don't recall exactly what the indications were the last time I experienced a runaway turbo. Either the MP or RPM for that engine went to maximum, or a very high reading, and was uncontrollable.

Paul

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

JanF wrote: 28 May 2021, 06:17 What is a runaway turbo situation ?
When it happened to me, the manifold pressure went over 50 (maybe even up to 60; I just remember it being wayyyy too high), and adjusting the manifold pressure selector down to zero did little to nothing to lower the manifold pressure. I had to throttle back almost to zero to get the manifold pressure down. If I remember correctly, the waste gate had failed and needed replacing, so throttling back and adjusting the manifold pressure dial to zero did not reset the runaway turbo.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi .
I can confirm the MP is the gauge that goes to max , shutting down and feathering of prop is the course of action on the effected engine .
If I get a message of runaway turbo , I will throttle all engines back momentarily , to see which one does not respond , so I don’t shut down the wrong engine by mistake .
Regards Alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”