carb air temps in hot weather. advice?

A Living Legend
new reply
freqimann
Airman

carb air temps in hot weather. advice?

Post by freqimann »

came across an interesting issue while flying the B-17 in +100 degree ASN real world weather. from startup to takeoff, i had a warning, "check carb air temp". intercooler was cold. mixture was full rich. when i started taxi, my engineer complained about working the engines too hard. on takeoff, he warned the engines were overheating. message "signs of recent overheat" in the hangar on 3 engines. the engines finally cooled when i was in the air, but that doesn't help me when i'm on the takeoff roll. no air, full power.

i was wondering if i should take off with lower turbo setting? would closing the air filters improve things, as well? any other thoughts on takeoffs on hot days to avoid killing the engines?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: carb air temps in hot weather. advice?

Post by Paughco »

I had a similar experience on a recent flight in the B-17. My problem was that I had forgotten to click the copilot buttons on the bottom of the
shift+3 window. After I did that, the copilot handled prop pitch, intercoolers, and cowl flaps. Everything was fine after that.

Seeya
ATB

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What was the OAT and what was your prop pitch , MAP , RPM , COWL FLAPS , TURBO settings and how far did you have to taxi before take off run and how long was the runway .
Also ASN sometimes gets corrupted weather downloads from weather stations , that then end up corrupting FSX and plays havoc with A2A B17 engines , what sim was you using .
In extreem heat , i have had to turn the TURBO off and keep the engine RPM in the green section with COWLS wide open , until i was in climb out , but that was on a long runway , and temps where still slightly higher than i would like , but below max safe temp.
Regards Alan. 8)

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

The aircraft is capable of taking off with the turbos set to zero (as long as your not too high) which is what I usually do on hot days and I'd advice using 15* flaps too. Turning over to ram air can also help, I've done that a few times when flying in very hot weather.
AKA "Memey"

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”