Landing gear jams

With the Flying Tigers shark-toothed paint, the P40 is the most famous fighter of the second world war.
new reply
UTF
Airman Basic

Landing gear jams

Post by UTF »

I have no problem with the landing gear of my P-51 being assigned to the lever of my CH-eclipse yoke.
The same configuration doesn't work with my P-40.
At takeoff the landing gear lever moves to the up position but the gear itself gets stuck halfway up.
The only way to get the gear fully retracted is to open the emergency hydraulic valve.
I can't land the bird, because the gear never lowers. The hydraulic hand pump doesn't work either.
Assigning buttons to operate the landing gear doesn't help.
What am I doing wrong?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Landing gear jams

Post by Paughco »

Here's how I work the landing gear and flaps on my P-40:

Shift+1 toggles a small graphic that shows the position of your gear lever and flap lever on the lower left of your screen, and the position of the radiator flap on the lower right of the screen.

Use the P-40 input configurator to set up the gun trigger on your stick to operate the hydraulic pump. You should see the little button on the top of the stick in the P-40 go down when you pull the trigger on your stick.

Take off in the P-40. Press the [G] key on your keyboard. Notice the Shift+1 gear lever moves to the UP position. Pull the trigger on your stick to make that little button on the P-40 stick go down, and activate the hydraulic pump, which will bring your gear up. When your gear is fully retracted, press the [G] key again to neutralize the gear lever and thereby lock your gear in the up position.

Now you're getting ready to land. Slow the airplane down to below 160 mph. Press the [G] key again and note that your Shift+1 gear lever is in the DOWN position. Pull the stick trigger to activate the hydraulic pump. Keep one eye on the gear position indicator and also on the airspeed and altimeter, while the rest of you is flying the airplane and watching where you are going. Open your canopy. You may actually "feel" a couple clunks as the gear is fully extended. Take your finger off the trigger and immediately press the [G] key to lock your gear. Don't forget that part of the gear is very likely to retract after you land. The flaps work the same way.

Watch this video. It's a P-40F or later, but the hydraulics work the same as on our -B and -C models: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIg7Jx ... 0A&index=9.

Also this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8uVYc ... 0A&index=8

Also, make sure that you have the latest updates.

Hope that helps.

Seeya
ATB

UTF
Airman Basic

Re: Landing gear jams

Post by UTF »

Thank you for your help and tutorial, now it works!

new reply

Return to “P40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”