High Altitude Take-off Help?

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
mjmowle
Airman

High Altitude Take-off Help?

Post by mjmowle »

When I try to take off in La Paz or Quito in South America, the engines are extremely under-powered, and I attribute that to the need for the Turbos to be turned up to give the engines the boost they need. However, even with manual control, the turbo control seems to make no difference. Am I doing something wrong, need to over-ride something, or are high-altitude takeoffs a bug that hasn't been solved yet?

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: High Altitude Take-off Help?

Post by FAC257 »

mjmowle,

I don't have the 377 installed at the moment, but here's an old cut & paste instruction I did a ways back.

……………………………………………………….
Here's a formula I use for the high altitude airports like AS-Quito and AS-Cuzco.
-FE Active but not in control of Turbos or MP Hold.
-Master Prop Sync lever at 90%. Will yield 2550rpms at full throttle.
-Turbo Control Override switches @ Climb & Cruise
-Turbo Boost Selector @ 30%-50%
-To find the best Turbo setting, I do a run up just prior to take-off. I want to be able to reach 55"MP if needed + leave a little overhead. If it looks like there is room, I try to throttle back to 51" before breaking ground, just to get the temps back down as soon as possible.
………………………………………………………

I used these for any flight out of the high Andes airports I regularly flew the 377 out of. Almost always at MTOW.

Forest
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”