How do you navigate using modern flightplans

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
CookerCook
Senior Airman

How do you navigate using modern flightplans

Post by CookerCook »

Does it use autopilot? How do you navigate with these things?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: How do you navigate using modern flightplans

Post by TreeTops »

VOR's and NDB's, Sextant over the ocean.
Cheers
Trev

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

TreeTops wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 21:42 VOR's and NDB's, Sextant over the ocean.

Could it use Airways?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Airways are GPS nav. VOR's and NDB's enable you to fly along airways but the plane is not actually using any information from the airway.
Use the plane's instruments to fly between ground based nav stations.
Cheers
Trev

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I use Little Nav Map (LNV). I create a flight plan. I save the flight plan in the [Prepar3D v5 Files] folder as a .pln. Then I export it into a Garmin GFP format in my [GTN Flight Plans] folder. Next I fire up Active Sky, then P3D with a default aircraft. I switch to an A2A aircraft (maybe the Bonanza). In the P3D menu I get the new flight plan loaded and then select YES when it asks if I want my aircraft to be moved to the point of origin. There we are. I fire up the airplane and let her warm up. Avionics on. My GTN 750 starts. I import and activate the flight plan that I just saved. By now the airplane is ready to taxi. After takeoff, I turn on the autopilot and wait a bit. Then, I get it into NAV mode and she follows the magenta line. New York Times crossword puzzle time.

That's the easy way. As other folks will be sure to mention, you really want to know about dead-reckoning navigation, and about navigation using NDB and VOR navaids. Download the whole thing, then read Chapter 16 of this: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... tion/phak/.

Seeya
ATB

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Notice how this post is in the B337 section!! AKA ye olde timee navigation
Cheers
Trev

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

Aww. I wish I could navigate with the GPS though, but it’s alright. Thank you for the info
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

You can use GPS with the B377. Just engage the default fsx autopilot using their keyboard commands. You will have to assign a key to the toggle NAV/GPS command. To engage, hit your assigned toggle NAV/GPS key. Then Z to engage autopilot and ctrl-N to switch to navigation. If done properly, this will fly the plane along the GPS path you loaded in. It is not authentic, and I know that. But on long flights it can be helpful. Just as an aside, the P-51 military can be flown the same way. Hope this helps.

Wayne

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”