FS2004 - B-17 - WOP - Repaints

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
TexasRaider
Airman

FS2004 - B-17 - WOP - Repaints

Post by TexasRaider »

Can anyone locate/give me the link for some repaints for the Wings Of Power - B-17?

If you do can i have some basic instructions on how to install it?
Last edited by TexasRaider on 03 Sep 2011, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: FS2004 - B-17 - WOP - Repaints

Post by FAC257 »

I just made a quick look. The easiest search that came up with the most of the old WOP 2004 B-17 repaints was over at the flightsim.com library.

Under "Files" section do a "Search Files" in "FS2004 Warbirds". Use the search words "Wings Of Power".

It came up with a slew (40+) of the old repaints.

The instructions for installing them should be in each of the repaint downloads. They might have slightly different installations depending on how the painter packaged them up.

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:I just made a quick look. The easiest search that came up with the most of the old WOP 2004 B-17 repaints was over at the flightsim.com library.

Under "Files" section do a "Search Files" in "FS2004 Warbirds". Use the search words "Wings Of Power".

It came up with a slew (40+) of the old repaints.

The instructions for installing them should be in each of the repaint downloads. They might have slightly different installations depending on how the painter packaged them up.

FAC
Perfect, thanks a lot :) i'll get them now.

Another question, if one says in the description " requiring the base model of the payware "Wings Of Power Heavy Bombers and Jets" Will it still work if i only bought Wings Of Power: B-17?

Thanks for a good reply and a quick one.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Any of the B-17 repaints that say they are for the Heavy Bombers & Jets package should work.

I seem to remember that the HB&J repaints worked right up until the time that the B-17 WOPII version came along in the FSX early days.

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:Any of the B-17 repaints that say they are for the Heavy Bombers & Jets package should work.

I seem to remember that the HB&J repaints worked right up until the time that the B-17 WOPII version came along in the FSX early days.

FAC
Ok, Thanks Again.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

When I was looking back through those old repaints, there were really some classics.

That was back during the days when I grabbed every repaint that came out for the WOP aircraft, so I probably had just about all of them installed at some point. :)

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:When I was looking back through those old repaints, there were really some classics.

That was back during the days when I grabbed every repaint that came out for the WOP aircraft, so I probably had just about all of them installed at some point. :)

FAC
I downloaded the memphis belle one. The read-me said this:

INSTALLATION:

Copy and paste the info below into the aircraft.cfg file found in your WoP B-17F Flying Fortress folder. Make sure you change the X in the [fltsim.X] to the next number in sequence.

Drop the Texture.Memphis Belle folder in this download into your WOP B-17G folder. Then copy the contents of the texture folder (also in the WOP B-17F folder) and paste them into the Texture.Memphis Belle folder. DO NOT OVERWRITE WHEN PROMPTED!!!

So i went and copied the text into the B-17F folder aircraft.cfg and pasted the texture folder plus the copied ones from the B-17F into the B-17G folder but it didnt show up in flight simulator? any ideas

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I assume that you already have the 'Memphis Belle' and other new repaints in your B-17G folder (not in a B-17F folder). To make the skins active in Flight Simulator you have to edit the aircraft.cfg that was already in the B-17G folder to include the new skins.

I don't have the FS2004 WoP B-17G installed right now so I can't give you a specific example to follow. However, if we open a stock aircraft I can quickly show you how the system works. Open the b737_400 folder and you will notice that there are five texture folders. Now open the aircraft.cfg file and you will see that there are five entries with a [fltsim.xx] heading; the first one is [fltsim.0] which references the folder named "texture", and the other four reference the four folders named "texture.1" through "texture.4."

If I wanted to add a new repaint I had just downloaded, my first step would be to edit the aircraft.cfg so that a new [fltsim.xx] heading is the next in the sequence. In this case, I would add the line [fltsim.5] after the paragraph for [fltsim.4]:

[fltsim.4]
title=Boeing 737-400 Paint4
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=4
kb_checklists=Boeing737-400_check
kb_reference=Boeing737-400_ref
atc_id=N737T
atc_airline=World Travel
atc_flight_number=1123
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type="737-400"
ui_variation="World Travel Airlines"
description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."

[fltsim.5]

Next, I'd look in the repaint's instructions to see if there is a block of text I should copy and paste into the aircraft.cfg. Many repainters do this for you but leave the header at the top to read, [fltsim.xx] -- you are supposed to change the x's to the number you need to continue the sequence. If this information is provided, all the other work is done for you.

Let's just say--for humor's sake--that somebody made a repaint for the B737 that was inspired by the "Memphis Belle." The texture folder for our hypothetical example is named "texture.Fake Memphis Belle" and that is what you have just copied to the b737_400 folder. The text we paste into aircraft.cfg might then look like this:

[fltsim.5]
title=Boeing 737-400 Memphis Belle tribute
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Fake Memphis Belle
kb_checklists=Boeing737-400_check
kb_reference=Boeing737-400_ref
atc_id=124485
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_flight_number=
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type="737-400"
ui_variation="Memphis Belle"
description="In 1993, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the legendary 'Memphis Belle's 25th mission, a Boeing 737-400 was painted to closely match the famous World War II bomber. Col. Robert K. Morgan's clone Mini-Morgan was specially trained to fly this aircraft on a one year world tour. At the completion of the tour, the tribute aircraft was cut into postage stamp-sized squares and scattered across the universe by the crew of the Space Shuttle."

Save the changes to the aircraft.cfg before launching Flight Simulator.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

Ok, it still isnt working for me but i can live without it. Thanks again though

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

If you paste a copy of your aircraft.cfg showing the aircraft entry sections, it might be fairly easy to figure out what is making that paint not show.

Which exact Memphis Bell did you grab. If I remember right there were at least two different versions of that aircraft that were repainted.

FAc
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:If you paste a copy of your aircraft.cfg showing the aircraft entry sections, it might be fairly easy to figure out what is making that paint not show.

Which exact Memphis Bell did you grab. If I remember right there were at least two different versions of that aircraft that were repainted.

FAc
Ok, Heres the aircraft.cfg for the B-17G, I've deleted Memphis Bell from it but i still have it on my computer, the author of it is John Terrell.

//Wings of Power
[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing B-17G "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby"
sim=B17G
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=B-17G Check
kb_reference=Reference
ui_manufacturer=Wings of Power
ui_type=Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress
ui_variation=B-17G "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17G
description=The B-17 Flying Fortress is a very stable and forgiving aircraft which can absorb enormous amounts of battle damage and still make it home. It is truly a pilot's aircraft and is a pleasure to fly. It can be trimmed to fly hands-off for any normal flight regime and, while slow to maneuver, is quite responsive to the controls for such a large craft. While aerobatics are prohibited officially, there are many documented cases of B-17s being put into spins, rolls, stalls, and other acrobatics by instructors and pilots who flew the type. Pilots who flew all of the major American bombers of WWII -- the B-17, B-24, and B29 -- state almost universally that the B-17 was a joy to fly as compared to the other types. The B-17G differed from the B-17F principally in that it was fitted with a nose turret with twin .50 caliber machine guns and was slightly heavier due to this and other additional equipment. Otherwise the two types were similar.
atc_id=232076
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

[fltsim.1]
title=Boeing B-17G "A Bit o' Lace"
sim=B17G
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=alu
kb_reference=Reference
ui_variation=B-17G "A Bit o' Lace"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17G
description=The B-17 Flying Fortress is a very stable and forgiving aircraft which can absorb enormous amounts of battle damage and still make it home. It is truly a pilot's aircraft and is a pleasure to fly. It can be trimmed to fly hands-off for any normal flight regime and, while slow to maneuver, is quite responsive to the controls for such a large craft. While aerobatics are prohibited officially, there are many documented cases of B-17s being put into spins, rolls, stalls, and other acrobatics by instructors and pilots who flew the type. Pilots who flew all of the major American bombers of WWII -- the B-17, B-24, and B29 -- state almost universally that the B-17 was a joy to fly as compared to the other types. The B-17G differed from the B-17F principally in that it was fitted with a nose turret with twin .50 caliber machine guns and was slightly heavier due to this and other additional equipment. Otherwise the two types were similar.
atc_id=297976
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

[fltsim.2]
title=Boeing B-17G "Moonlight Serenade"
sim=B17G
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=moonlight
kb_reference=Reference
ui_variation=B-17G "Moonlight Serenade"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17G
atc_id=337599
atc_flight_number=7599
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

[fltsim.3]
title=Boeing B-17G Texas Raiders
sim=B17G
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Raiders
kb_reference=Reference
ui_variation=B-17G "Texas Raiders"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17G
atc_id=N7227C
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
editable=1
atc_type=BOEING
atc_model=
performance=Top Speed @ SL: 220 mph TAS\nTop Speed @ 25,000 feet: 287 mph TAS\nClimb: 38 minutes to 20,000 ft\nEmpty weight: 36,135 lbs. \nRamp Weight (fully equipped): 38,849 lbs.\nMaximum takeoff wt: 64,500 pounds\nWingspan: 103 feet 9 inches\nLength: 74 feet 9 inches\nRange: 1,600 miles\nEngines: Four Wright R-1820-97 radials\nDefensive armament: 12 .50 caliber guns\nWeapons Payload: Up to 8,000 lbs. of bombs
[General]

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

The first step is that you wouldn't want the entry for your Memphis Belle in this aircraft.cfg file.

The section you posted is for the B-17G and the Memphis Belle is a B-17F.

You would want both the Memphis Belle's texture folder and the aircraft.cfg entry for her in the B -17's folder.

There looks to be a slight typo in the install directions. Try this one. I just edited the typo.

"INSTALLATION:
Copy and paste the info below into the aircraft.cfg file found in your WoP B-17F Flying Fortress folder. Make sure you change the X in the [fltsim.X] to the next number in sequence.
Drop the Texture.Memphis Belle folder in this download into your WOP B-17F folder. Then copy the contents of the texture folder (also in the WOP B-17F folder) and paste them into the Texture.Memphis Belle folder. DO NOT OVERWRITE WHEN PROMPTED!!!"

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:The first step is that you wouldn't want the entry for your Memphis Belle in this aircraft.cfg file.

You would want both the Memphis Belle's texture folder and the aircraft.cfg entry for her in the B -17's folder.

There looks to be a slight typo in the install directions. Try this one. I just edited the typo.

"INSTALLATION:
Drop the Texture.Memphis Belle folder in this download into your WOP B-17F folder. Then copy the contents of the texture folder (also in the WOP B-17F folder) and paste them into the Texture.Memphis Belle folder. DO NOT OVERWRITE WHEN PROMPTED!!!"

FAC
Hmmm ok, ive tried that. Heres what my B-17F aircraft.cfg looks like.

//Wings of Power
[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress
sim=B17F
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=B-17F Check
kb_reference=Reference
ui_type=Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress
ui_variation=B-17F "Knockout Dropper"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17F
atc_id=124605
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

[fltsim.1]
title=Boeing B-17G (F Conversion) Memphis Belle
sim=B17F
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Memphis Belle
kb_checklists=B-17F Check
kb_reference=Reference
ui_variation=B-17G (F Conversion) "Memphis Belle"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17F
atc_id=N3703G
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
[General]
editable=1
atc_type=BOEING
atc_model=
performance=Top Speed @ SL: 223 mph TAS\nTop Speed @ 25,000 feet: 291 mph TAS\nClimb: 38 minutes to 20,000 ft\nEmpty weight: 34,000 lbs. \nRamp Weight (fully equipped): 36,708 lbs.\nMaximum takeoff wt: 64,500 pounds\nWingspan: 103 feet 9 inches\nLength: 74 feet 9 inches\nRange: 1,600 miles\nEngines: Four Wright R-1820-97 radials\nDefensive armament: 12 .50 caliber guns\nWeapons Payload: Up to 8,000 lbs. of bombs

Sorry to be such a bother. Any ideas now?

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

That looks good. I don't see anything in the aircraft.cfg that would prevent the aircraft from showing up.

Does the Memphis Belle show up in the Aircraft Selection men?

FAC
FAC257

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

FAC257 wrote:The first step is that you wouldn't want the entry for your Memphis Belle in this aircraft.cfg file.

He's trying to make it work for the stand-alone B-17G because he doesn't have the HB&J package.

And to be clear, TexasRaider, you have the B-17G version for FS2004 and the repaint is also for the FS2004 model, correct?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”