FS2004 - B-17 - WOP - Repaints

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: FS2004 - B-17 - WOP - Repaints

Post by FAC257 »

Going by the names of the aircraft at the top of both sets of configs it seems to be the right 2004 combo.

"Bit O' Lace", Shoo Shoo Baby and Knockout Dropper" are the default paints on the 2004 HB&J and the stand alone B-17 package for 2004. Same repaints should work for both.

All of the old repaints should be fine up until the defaults changed to "Heaven Sent" & "Joker".

FAC
FAC257

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

TexasRaider

Okay, somethings wrong in the kitchen. :)

I just loaded up the HB&J package and tried that version of the Memphis Belle. It didn't load correctly for some reason and it should have. All the files sizes and format are correct for the HB&J.

For now I might suggest grabbing John's other Memphis Belle repaint which is also over at Flightsim. That one goes by the name of "membell2.zip". I've got her installed and it works fine.

That's her sitting next to the B-17 II "Scheherazade".

Now that I've got the HB&J back in I might take a look a little closer at that other MB repaint, just out of curiousity.

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:That looks good. I don't see anything in the aircraft.cfg that would prevent the aircraft from showing up.

Does the Memphis Belle show up in the Aircraft Selection men?

FAC
No, I have downloaded other planes for WOP - B-17 to see if they work. But they dont show up in the aircraft selection menu.

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

Skycat wrote:
FAC257 wrote:The first step is that you wouldn't want the entry for your Memphis Belle in this aircraft.cfg file.

The section you posted is for the B-17G and the Memphis Belle is a B-17F.

You would want both the Memphis Belle's texture folder and the aircraft.cfg entry for her in the B -17's folder.
He's trying to make it work for the stand-alone B-17G because he doesn't have the HB&J package.

And to be clear, TexasRaider, you have the B-17G version for FS2004 and the repaint is also for the FS2004 model, correct?
Correct, and correct. Ive tried other B-17 G's to see if its just the one aircraft (Memphis Belle) but the other aircraft dont show up either.

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

It must be me or something but the plane STILL isnt coming up, even after downloading the second memphisbelle folder. Whenever i go to select planes i go Wings Of Power > B17F > And all thats there is Knockout Dropper. Grrrr why wont you work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Let's do a visual version. :)

Here's what that second Memphis Belle looks like installed on my system.

If your working with FS9, make sure that the texture.memphis folder contains all of the files on the right side of the screen. Like most FS9 repaint files, the author usually only includes the changed files, so the files you download are only part of the complete texture set. The rest of the files are the ones you copy over from the other B-17F texture folder, but not overwriting the custom Memphis Bell textures.

Here's a copy & paste of my aircraft.cfg after adding the Memphis Belle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//Wings of Power
[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress
sim=B17F
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=B-17F Check
kb_reference=Reference
ui_manufacturer=Wings of POWER
ui_createdby="Shockwave Productions Inc."
ui_type=Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress
ui_variation="Knockout Dropper"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17F
description=The B-17 Flying Fortress is a very stable and forgiving aircraft which can absorb enormous amounts of battle damage and still make it home. It is truly a pilot's aircraft and is a pleasure to fly. It can be trimmed to fly hands-off for any normal flight regime and, while slow to maneuver, is quite responsive to the controls for such a large craft. While aerobatics are prohibited officially, there are many documented cases of B-17s being put into spins, rolls, stalls, and other acrobatics by instructors and pilots who flew the type. Pilots who flew all of the major American bombers of WWII -- the B-17, B-24, and B29 -- state almost universally that the B-17 was a joy to fly as compared to the other types. The B-17G differed from the B-17F principally in that it was fitted with a nose turret with twin .50 caliber machine guns and was slightly heavier due to this and other additional equipment. Otherwise the two types were similar.
atc_id=124605
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

[fltsim.1]
title=Boeing B-17F Memphis Belle
sim=B17F
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Belle
kb_checklists=B-17F Check
kb_reference=Reference
ui_manufacturer=Wings of Power
ui_type=Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress
ui_variation=B-17F "Memphis Belle"
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17F
description=The B-17 Flying Fortress is a very stable and forgiving aircraft which can absorb enormous amounts of battle damage and still make it home. It is truly a pilot's aircraft and is a pleasure to fly. It can be trimmed to fly hands-off for any normal flight regime and, while sloto maneuver, is quite responsive to the controls for such a large craft. While aerobatics are prohibited officially, there are many documented cases of B-17s being put into spins, rolls, stalls, and other acrobatics by instructors and pilots who flew the type. Pilots who flew all of the major American bombers of WWII -- the B-17, B-24, and B29 -- state almost universally that the B-17 was a joy to fly as compared to the other types. The B-17G differed from the B-17F principally in that it was fitted with a nose turret with twin .50 caliber machine guns and was slightly heavier due to this and other additional equipment. Otherwise the two types were similar.
atc_id=N3703G
atc_flight_number=
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAC
FAC257

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

But he's using the B-17G model, not the B-17F model, so your visual example isn't 100% perfect. The new texture folder will have to go in the B-17G folder and the B-17G's aircraft.cfg will need to be edited to include that new repaint.

TexasRaider: Since the screenshot of the folders is up, does your B-17G folder have the same name? I am curious if the stand-alone version has a different name than the "Heavy Bombers & Jets" version.

Also, when you edit the B-17G aircraft.cfg, try changing all the B-17F references to B-17G because this may tell Flight Simulator where the base model is located. For example, "Sim=B17G". The description paragraph at the end won't matter though, it is just the text that appears when you load the airplane in the FS2004 menu.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

TexasRaider wrote:Whenever i go to select planes i go Wings Of Power > B17F > And all thats there is Knockout Dropper. Grrrr why wont you work.
I'm confused. Do you now have the complete "Heavy Bombers & Jets" package?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

Skycat wrote:
TexasRaider wrote:Whenever i go to select planes i go Wings Of Power > B17F > And all thats there is Knockout Dropper. Grrrr why wont you work.
I'm confused. Do you now have the complete "Heavy Bombers & Jets" package?
No, All i have bought from A2A is the B17 Wings Of Power.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The new paints may not be under wings of power, try B-17 or somesuch, This is defined in the config.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

TexasRaider

I just went back through all of the posts and you have all the right stuff it seems in the right place. The 2004 HB&J B-17s and the standalone 2004 B-17F/G package are the same aircraft so it's got to be something simple.

As Lewis said the aircraft will show up as per the aircraft.cfg location. The line that determines this is the line that reads "ui_manufacturer=Wings of POWER".
Whatever it says after "manufacturer=" is where your aircraft wll be loaded.

The one thing that just dawned on when you said that only the "Knockout Dropper" shows up under the "F" model. At the bottom of the aircraft selection menu there is a check box that says "Show All Variations". Make sure you have that box checked. If it isn't checked, you would never see more than one B-17F and that would be the "Knockout Dropper".

FSX has this "Show All Variations" check box and I can't remember back to whether or not FS9 had this same feature.

FAC
FAC257

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

FAC257 wrote:TexasRaider

I just went back through all of the posts and you have all the right stuff it seems in the right place. The 2004 HB&J B-17s and the standalone 2004 B-17F/G package are the same aircraft so it's got to be something simple.

As Lewis said the aircraft will show up as per the aircraft.cfg location. The line that determines this is the line that reads "ui_manufacturer=Wings of POWER".
Whatever it says after "manufacturer=" is where your aircraft wll be loaded.

The one thing that just dawned on when you said that only the "Knockout Dropper" shows up under the "F" model. At the bottom of the aircraft selection menu there is a check box that says "Show All Variations". Make sure you have that box checked. If it isn't checked, you would never see more than one B-17F and that would be the "Knockout Dropper".

FSX has this "Show All Variations" check box and I can't remember back to whether or not FS9 had this same feature.

FAC
Nope, no "show all variations" button to check. Ive done this sort of stuff before, downloading aricraft and flying them. Could it be that where it says "ui_manufacturer=Wings of POWER" if the default (Knockout Dropper) is "ui_manufacturer=Wings of Power". Also, my parents put a password on changing program files folders so i had to copy the notepad aircraft.cfg and edit it on my desktop then delete the one in the aircraft folder and paste in the one from my desktop. Could this have an effect on it? Even if the config looks right?

TexasRaider
Airman

Post by TexasRaider »

Maybe its something on my end.

The way i try and load the aircraft is by running FS2004 > Loading the Wings Of Power B-17 F and looking for the plane there. Is that the correct way to load an aircraft? Im getting pretty frustrated at this simple problem. Any help greatly appreciated.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Load FS2004 (The issue here is we thought you were on FSX) then find the aircraft. Igmore wings of power B-17F as the repaints can be named all sorts. Simply find the B-17's in the list.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've given you bad advice. For some reason I thought the FS9 download contained only the B-17G model. After checking I see that it also has the B-17F.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”