Best source of repaints for WOPII P-47?

It's big, powerful, and fast.
new reply
SSI01
Airman

Best source of repaints for WOPII P-47?

Post by SSI01 »

Can anyone name the best source of repaints for the WOPII P-47? I've been to a number of sites and there's lots of them for the P-47 WOPIII but not that many for the WOPII version.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Best source of repaints for WOPII P-47?

Post by Skycat »

Check https://library.avsim.net/index.php -- they've been around for a long time and used to be my primary go-to.

I'll look at my archive tonight to see if I have any old downloads to offer you directly.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've been browsing the Sim-Outhouse library's FS2004 "Military skins WWII" collection and I've found a few Shockwave/A2A skins there. Check http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

I don't remember if skins for the original Wings of Power P-47D razorback model (from the Shockwave Productions Thunderbolt Pack for FS2004) were compatible with the WWII Fighters/Wings of Power II SOLO P-47D razorback for FS2004/FSX. The WWII Fighters/WOP II version was essentially culled from the original pack and given some updates for the WWII Fighters release. However, I vaguely recall that because FS2004 didn't have alpha layers for shine, any bare metal skins will render a dull gray. Olive drab and camo repaints might work however. I will test...

******* Edit: I found repaints for the "A2A WWII Fighters P-47" in the FSX Military skins collection at Sim-Outhouse. Go to the last page in the series and work in reverse; four are listed on Page 59, then there's one on Page 54 but then it looks like the WoP III skins took over. :?

The Wings of Power III Thunderbolt was a complete remake for FSX, so any repaints for it won't work with the earlier versions of the P-47.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'm unable to test the compatibility (I can't install my WWII Fighters CD into FSX Steam Edition) here are links to some at Sim-Outhouse filed under A2A WoP or WWII Fighters repaints for FS2004:

"Bonnie" by csainc
"Wicked Wabbit" by csainc
"Carol Ann II", "Miss Lorraine", "Had It", "Frankie's Turbo/Millie", "164", "Penrod and Sam" by Epsillon
"Soubrette" by Epsillon
"Little Chief", "Little One" by Epsillon
"Hun Hunter XIV" by Bomber_12th
"Little Demon" by Bomber_12th
"Gabby", "Little Chief", "Hewlett-Woodmere Long Island" by Epsillon
"Stalag Luft III/Butt" by Epsillon
"Lucky", "56th Fighter Group Repaints" by Smashing Time
56th FG P-47D" by Smashing Time
"Margie" by Epsillon
"Boise Bee", "#17 Checker Tail Clan" by Epsillon
"Holy Joe" by Gregory Paul; "Thunderbolt Mk.1s", "Cherry Mary/Spirit of DeSoto County", "Dallas Blonde" by Epsillon
"Galloping Catastrophe", "Herky", "Big Stud" by Epsillon
"In the Mood", "UNB Capt Hart" by Epsillon

Again, none are verified in FSX. Some may work... All may work... None may work. :)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Many thanks, Skycat!!

I'm starting to dig in detail now.

Talk w/you soon.

PS - just remembered what I needed to find out from you. Is there a way to remove the rocket projectile tubes from the WOPII P-47? We can shed the bombs and drop tanks, but can we rid ourselves of the tubes too?

Second PS - you seem to have a magical ability to find practically anything in the SOH library. I don't have that kind of luck. I do use the tools presented when you begin to look for something, which is the alpha grouping, keyword, etc group at the lower left on the start screen for the index. What do I have to put in there to find a larger number of things than I have in the past? Most of the time I'm reduced to scrolling for what I'm looking for.
Last edited by SSI01 on 03 Feb 2019, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

As I recall, the option add/remove tubes is on the 2D mini panel. I think the button is square? The option was added in an update so you might need to patch up.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

I forgot to add something - I don't know if this version/release of the P-47 comes with the wing drop tanks or not. If it does, how do you make them appear/disappear?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Thanks Skycat. I don't think I'm going to be able to go any farther with this one. I found those "2D cockpit" (such as it is) buttons and like you and others have said they do indeed control appearance of pylons, rocket tubes, etc. Nothing I've found seems to be able to control the appearance or jettisoning of the two small wing tanks P-47s could and did carry at times.

I do thank you, however, for getting back so quickly with responses to my queries!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Three handles below instrument panel in virtual cockpit. Center, flanking the parking brake release.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Thanks for replying.

I've manipulated those and discovered they do indeed cause the bombs to release, plus the center drop tank to go as well - when the appropriate handle is pulled. I could have sworn I've seen photos of the WOP P-47 with two smaller teardrop-shaped wing tanks hanging under it, one from the pylon beneath each wing.

I'll try working those handles again and see if I get a surprise.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Now that I think about it, there probably wasn't an option to have drop tanks instead of bombs on the wing pylons if the model was made for FS2004. I can't find a single screenshot showing a Wings of Power/WWII Fighters/SOLO P-47D Razorback with drop tanks hanging from the wings.

As I said a few nights ago, I wasn't able to install WWII Fighters CD into FSX Steam the to test anything or refresh my memory of how it works. I moved on to the WoP3 P-47 a long time ago anyhow--it's twice as good even without AccuSim.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

I've got the WOP3 P-47 as well, and think what you remember about the tanks may be quite correct.

I do thank you for the excellent help!

new reply

Return to “P47 Thunderbolt”