Trim tabs and controls/ indicators

It's big, powerful, and fast.
new reply
Flashman
Airman First Class

Trim tabs and controls/ indicators

Post by Flashman »

I love this A/C and look forward to the accusim mod! I have the P40 and the P51 already and may go for the solo spit next as warbirds are my bag!

Anyhoo....I hate to point out potential problems but.....

Unless im some form of fool (and thats a good probability!) i think there is a problem with the rudder and aileron trim tabs and controls.

Rudder trim: Unless the P47 was deliberately built this way i think that the trim contol and position indicator works the opposite of how it should. I.E. turn the knob to the right, the indicator moves right but the aircraft nose moves left, and the opposite is true. Basically i think the rudder trim is reversed within the model. the trim tab animation on the tail is however is correct

Aileron trim. This has the same problem as the rudder trim, i.e move the control right, the indicator goes right but the left wing goes down. Again this appears to be reveresed. Also the trim tab on the left wing is definately wrong. when the trim tab is up, the left wing should go down, not as it appears in the sim.

I use a BU0836 joystick emulator thingy with rotary dials (i have my own mini cockpit setup) to opperate these controls via FSUIPC. whilst its possible to reverse the direction of the physical control, the animation still appears to be incorrect.

I have had a glass of Red as I write this so I hope its not gone to the head and im all wrong!
ImageHave you been touched by his Noodly Appendage?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Trim tabs and controls/ indicators

Post by Skycat »

I don't have time to test what you're suggesting so I'll post a relevant page from the Thunderbolt training manual:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/ ... 0-5/35.jpg

1. Ailerons. Only the left trim tab is adjustable. Turn the wheel clockwise to force the right wing down. Indicator marked L (left), N (neutral), and R (right) shows the position of the tab.
2. Elevator. Rotate the crank or wheel clockwise to force the nose down. The indicator is marked TH (tail heavy), N (neutral) and NH (nose heavy).
3. Rudder. Turn the wheel clockwise to add pressure to right rudder. The indicator is marked L (left), N (neutral), TO (takeoff), and R (right).
Be careful in using the trim tabs. The are extremely sensitive. It is difficult to overcome the tremendous pressures exerted by trim tabs improperly set. Have your plane in proper trim when doing any maneuver.

Let me take this opportunity to once again make a plug for the trim pop-up in the FS2004 pack version that I believe makes trimming comparatively easier.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Since the information from the historic training manual was fresh in my head after posting, I decided to test to see if your observation applies to the original Thunderbolts pack for FS2004. It seems that it does but it isn't as obvious when you use the pop-up trim panel because the indicators show the affect that turning the trim wheels have on the aircraft:

In the above picture the aileron wheel was cranked more than one full turn counterclockwise. The white indicator needle travelled the opposite direction, to the right. The aircraft then obviously banked hard to the right.

I also turned the rudder trim wheel a little to the right. The indicator simultaneously went to the left.

Now it is no wonder I was confused when trying to operate from VC view. ;)
BTW, I tested the P-47M after this and the same condition exists.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Flashman
Airman First Class

Post by Flashman »

The FSX version works differently to the 2004 version shown in Skycats photo. (though it appeas that the trim doesnt work correctly on that A/C properly either)

Turn the trim tab counterclockwise and the trim position indicator moves to the left (as it should) however the A/C rolls to the right...the wrong way! Also the trim tab on the left aileron moves correctly with regards to the instrucment and control, but again the A/C is rolling the wrong way

Same happens with the rudder trim. (except the trim tab on the rudder is moddled correctly!)

I hope this all makes sense or have I confused everyone, including myself!

Hopefully this would be an easy fix, just turn a plus into a minus or something in the model file.....but then again i dont really know how these things work!

Its not a terrrific problem as my actual controls work in the correct sense so I can trim the A/C properly
ImageHave you been touched by his Noodly Appendage?

new reply

Return to “P47 Thunderbolt”