P-47 installation

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
pmesmer
Senior Airman

Re: P-47 installation

Post by pmesmer »

Hi Steve______ I have both programs. Auto pilot works, but no auto approach. I have to make a visual approach. Once on final, I put the gear down but if I go to full flaps, the airplane becomes uncontrollable, rolls to the left and crashes. If I remain with partial flaps,I can land the airplane but the airspeed is high and the roll-out is very long All the airplanes act the same way. When I select the airplanes under "Republic", they act the same way. To say the least, I am very disappointed. I have other A2A aircraft and they all behave like they are supposed to. This airplane???? UGH. :roll: :( :)

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

:shock:
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Autopilot? I've had the P-47 for more than a few years...and I had no idea there was an autopilot! :D

Of course an aircraft this old wouldn't have an "autoland" feature. Again, thats something I've never seen on my versions of the P-47...I think...

The rolling described when lowering flaps could be a flap breaking, especially if your approach speeds are quite high.

As others have said, the P-47 is not fancy, but it will bite you if you don't fly by the numbers. It requires some reading of the manual to learn where the limits lie. Above all, don't get discouraged. Patience and repetition will get you on your way!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

It seems to me that with your landings you are bleeding off too much speed on approach and you're stalling out; and then you are reactively increasing power to attempt a recovery but the torque of the engine is causing you to roll. Fly into your landing instead, reduce power on approach, set your landing flaps just before touching down, and flare to a three point landing as you make contact with the runway. The Thunderbolt is a very heavy plane and famously required a lot of runway for takeoffs and landings.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Skycat wrote:It seems to me that with your landings you are bleeding off too much speed on approach and you're stalling out; and then you are reactively increasing power to attempt a recovery but the torque of the engine is causing you to roll. Fly into your landing instead, reduce power on approach, set your landing flaps just before touching down, and flare to a three point landing as you make contact with the runway. The Thunderbolt is a very heavy plane and famously required a lot of runway for takeoffs and landings.
Words of wisdom!

I use to drop like a stone on approach, before I twigged about her flying characteristics. My local is quite short (nowadays) and I could never get off the ground, I had to move her somewhere else. The transportation fees were horrendous! :lol:

Steve.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I think your expectations need to be complete reset. Autoland on a WWII fighter? You do know that ILS had not yet been developed? Pilots really had to fly these planes from the moment they climbed in to the moment they climbed out.

Anyway, as for handing, you would be best served by first doing some reading up on the product manual. That should give you many references for procedures and speeds.

Another good exercise is to take the airplane up to a safe altitude and then proceed to slown down to a stall in the clean and landing configurations. Note those airspeeds at your given weight. Then try doing gentle maneuvers at just above those speeds such as 180 degree turns, all without losing altitude. Try going a little faster and adding in climbing 180 degree turns and descending turns.

With some practice, you will get a handle on the limits.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

I realize there is no auto pilot on the p-47. After over 45 years in aviation, I think I know how to fly.
I have tried to get some screen shots but my computer wont cooperate.
If A2A offers a refund, I wold like one. Please refund my money. :| :roll: :)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Understand that just above you wrote that you were seemingly dissapointed because there was no autoland feature in the auto pilot. I'm only responding to what you wrote and trying to correct your expectation about having autoland on a P-47. I'm sure the crew here can help you, if you still wish to seek help with this P-47 sim. They're going to need a lot more detail about the issues you are seeing. At the moment, it sounds like you just need to get familiar with the aircraft because you may have resolved the technical problems?

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

I had the old A2A P-47 in my simulator. (the one with the maintenance hangar and the ability to load and unload fuel and ordinance) That was before my computer crashed and I lost everything. It was my favorite airplane. The new version is nowhere near as good. A2A would do well to bring back the old version. :D

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There have been no changes to the P-47. It's the exact same product as always. I'm sure there is just an install error to get the expansion pack in there and you'll be sorted.

The other question I would have is why didn't you just download it again instead of purchasing it again? You can always download your purchases from the A2A store again.

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

I was a control tower operator at Republic Aviation during the flight test program of the F-105. During that period, Republic purchased an old P-47 and had the owner fly it to Republic from California. Republic paid for the fuel. Republic completely restored the airplane. When it was done, Glenn Bach, a Republic test pilot, was the only one allowed to fly it. He had many hours in the airplane flying it in Europe during WWII. When Republic closed due to labor problems, the test site manager asked me if I would like to have the airplane. I was stunned. He told me he would have to discuss it with the higher ups. He later phoned me in the tower and told me some Air Force general wanted it so I missed out. I was very familiar with the airplane. :)
I would still like a refund. :)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That was all a bit before my time, but I did go to Brooklyn Polytechnic and occasionally visited the Farmingdale campus for some lectures. I remember gawking at the A10s parked out there.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

P-47 installation

Post by Jacques »

Are you still on FSX ( sorry if I missed this detail) or did you move to P3D...and if you moved to P3D which version are you on?

The old P47 is the only one that is currently available in the store.

It comprises two seperatly purchased parts.

The first is the base pack which gives you the aircraft but with no accusim (no option to repair damage, etc)

The second packages is Accusim for the P47, which enhances the already installed base pack to an accusimmed aircraft.

More information always helps...otherwise we're all just guessing, which understandably leaves you frustrated!

Oh wow, I fell in a time-hole, I guess! Nevermind me.

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

Hi Jacques_____ I am still using FSX. :) and I'm still disappointed. :( :cry: :x I would still like a refund. :)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I guess you would need to discuss that with Lewis.
I'm still on FSX, the Steam version, as it works well with my needs at the moment. I flew the P-47 for around two hours yesterday and everything was still a-ok, at least from my amateur perspective.

I still have the nagging feeling that somehow your installation is corrupted or incomplete, based on your descriptions, but I'll not go on anymore about it.

A shame that General slipped the P47 from your hands at the last moment...perhaps it made it into a museum somewhere?

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”