bumbers above the guns?

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
cessna lover

bumbers above the guns?

Post by cessna lover »

why do they have numbers above the gun tubes is that so you know which one shot a bogey or which one is out of ammo or jammed? im having a lot of problems with this plane I got to fly it for a few minutes today but OMG is it hard to figure out.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: bumbers above the guns?

Post by Jacques »

There was a really interesting video by Marshall Arbitman on YT called “Cracking the Code” which chronicles his attempts to get the landing right!

https://youtu.be/tvvLTFZgAAs

Its a bit of a handful, for sure. You don’t want to jockey the turbo lever around on the ground or you risk blowing it out. Wait to use it when you’re at higher altitudes and have run out of throttle.

I always found it easier to land with more speed or a higher approach angle.

Mainly, you just need to become familiar with the manual and checklists, memorize manifold pressure and RPM for various phases of flight and recommended speeds.

And most helpful of all...practice,practice,practice. Pick an airport with wide long runways and just do touch and go’s. It is never boring and it is the best way to start to put it all together. Other than that, come back with questions and everyone here will be happy to help! :D

Sorry, no idea about the numbers, other than they allow you to specify a certain gun, perhaps for maintenance?

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Jacques wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 16:36 There was a really interesting video by Marshall Arbitman on YT called “Cracking the Code” which chronicles his attempts to get the landing right!

Its a bit of a handful, for sure. You don’t want to jockey the turbo lever around on the ground or you risk blowing it out. Wait to use it when you’re at higher altitudes and have run out of throttle.

Mainly, you just need to become familiar with the manual and checklists, memorize manifold pressure and RPM for various phases of flight and recommended speeds.

And most helpful of all...practice,practice,practice. Pick an airport with wide long runways and just do touch and go’s. It is never boring and it is the best way to start to put it all together. Other than that, come back with questions and everyone here will be happy to help! :D

Sorry, no idea about the numbers, other than they allow you to specify a certain gun, perhaps for maintenance?
ok thanks for the advice about the practice. and sorry for my spelling on the thread name. :oops:

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

It took me a while to find a photograph showing the numbers on the gun bay covers so the markings are authentic, if not standard or commonly seen. I also found a photograph in one of my books showing the panel removed on one wing and the four guns exposed; each gun has a stencil indicating what number gun it is, with the inboard gun's ammunition feed chute marked "Left No. 1 Gun", then next gun's feed marked "Left No. 2 Gun," etc. for all four guns. The numbers on the panel correspond with the position of the guns. The opposite wing is a mirror image so the numbers would be in reverse order. My guess is that the numbers helped the armorer replace the panels correctly by simply matching the numbers painted on the panel to the guns in the bay.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Jacques wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 16:36 There was a really interesting video by Marshall Arbitman on YT called “Cracking the Code” which chronicles his attempts to get the landing right!

Try not to over work the problem when landing a prop fighter. Over concentration on nailing specific numbers can get you into trouble. The best technique is to keep it simple. Fly a tight close in circular approach configuring as you wish. Pitch for airspeed and control the rate of sink with power. Hit your airspeed over the numbers and land the aircraft keeping the two runway sides viewed peripherally EQUAL during the roll out.
Practice this and you will get landing a prop fighter in short order.
Dudley Henriques

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Skycat wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 00:33 Image

:D awesome thanks for the research. I wouldn't even have know where to start looking on google. or I could have done it my self.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 01:40

Try not to over work the problem when landing a prop fighter. Over concentration on nailing specific numbers can get you into trouble. The best technique is to keep it simple. Fly a tight close in circular approach configuring as you wish. Pitch for airspeed and control the rate of sink with power. Hit your airspeed over the numbers and land the aircraft keeping the two runway sides viewed peripherally EQUAL during the roll out.
Practice this and you will get landing a prop fighter in short order.
Dudley Henriques
well I need to spend more time with the plane as well as the manual. cause tried flying it the other day and I'm not doing something right cause it sounds like it coughs and a puff of white smoke comes out of it. I have all but 2 of my planes set up for cold and dark on the new computer. that's why I tried this one again. it's set up at my virtual home field among others I have set. :D

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”