P-47 Carb Heat management

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
jester292
Airman Basic

P-47 Carb Heat management

Post by jester292 »

Ok gang, one more P-47 question for you. While flying the P-47 in warm climates (using FSX:SE and Active Sky Next), I'm having difficulty keeping the carb heat in limits. Even with the intercooler flaps full open while taxiing the carb heat is 38-40c. Any tips? I live in Tampa and cannot keep it in the green after engine start.
A2A P-40
A2A P-47

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-47 Carb Heat management

Post by MkIV Hvd »

My tip would be to ignore that... :wink:

The carb temp gauge is only for assistance in applying carb heat in times of need and that would only be when flying in carb ice creating conditions; lower temperatures, visible moisture or high humidity, etc.

Under normal flight conditions, the carb heat should always be off until you suspect carb ice is forming, usually indicated by a drop in manifold pressure for no other reason. As most recip type airplanes do not have a gauge, without which there is a chance you could make the problem worse with partial heat, the typical procedure for applying carb heat is fully ON when needed and OFF when it's not. The gauge is there so you can find the sweet spot temperature-wise if needed.

Bottom line is that on a summer day or any other day when carb heat is not needed to melt ice, the carburetor temperature is what it is....

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

jester292
Airman Basic

Post by jester292 »

Ok, thanks Rob. Seems like it should be managed by opening the intercooler doors when temps are too high. If its not a problem being too high, then I can manage the rest.
A2A P-40
A2A P-47

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

There is almost zero airflow through the intercoolers when you're on the ground so they will provide almost no temperature drop. Just like a radiator they have to have air flowing over them to cool the air flowing inside them.

jester292
Airman Basic

Post by jester292 »

AviationatWar, that's precisely what I expected while on the ground. However, after takeoff when climbing the temperature continues to stay exceptionally warm until I get into the flight levels. Then it stays in the upper green band. This is when flying with Active Sky Next in FSX:SE in the Tampa area. As long as its not damaging the engine then I'm happy to accept its warm temperature reading. :mrgreen:
A2A P-40
A2A P-47

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”