F4U Corsair FAH603/VH-III Repaint

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
new reply
MeTriX
Airman Basic

F4U Corsair FAH603/VH-III Repaint

Post by MeTriX »

This is a repaint for the Aircraft Factory F4U Corsair based on Graham Hosking's F4U-5N, FAH603/VH-III.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: F4U Corsair FAH603/VH-III Repaint

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Interesting looking repaint, whats the story behind it? 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

wwaakkaattaakk
Airman

Post by wwaakkaattaakk »

Lovely repaint, I've had the pleasure of being able to sit in this very plane and talk to the pilot.

To answer your question Lewis it's a F4U-5N that fought with the Honduran Air Force and was brought here to Australia. After a massive restoration it was finally finished last year (might have to check that one).
Image Image

MeTriX
Airman Basic

Post by MeTriX »

Thanks!
wwaakkaattaakk wrote:Lovely repaint, I've had the pleasure of being able to sit in this very plane and talk to the pilot.
Lucky! :)

If you click the screenshot it will take you to the download page which has more information. :) But here it is anyway in addition to the previous post.

Aircraft History:

Corsair F4U-5N, Bu No. 123168
First saw service aboard the Essex Class Carrier USS Oriskany (C-34) in the Korean War in 1952.
Struck off active service with the United States Navy 1956.
Purchased by Honduran Air Force and operated as FAH603.
Damaged in a forced-landing accident at Toncontin Air Base in 1967 and relegated to the boneyard.
Sold in 1979 to Hollywood Wings Inc. Transported and stored at Long Beach Airport.
Bought by John Mullen then Pete Thelen, believed to be as a bartering tool for the Disney Corporation.
Gifted to the RNZAF Museum by the Disney Corporation as a 'thank you' for the involvement of the RNZAF in the 1988 film "The Rescue".
Swapped for a P-40F and P-40E components with Graham Hosking in 1996.
Restored as FAH603/VH-III with first post restoration flight on 4/05/2014.
Based at Tyabb.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well that'll serve me right for not being curious, I didn't realise the image was a click-able link :?

Going to grab this one tomorrow for a blast around the big blue tomorrow 8) Fascinating history, the bartering part raised my eyebrows for sure!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I love the paint scheme. Is there any markings that still need to be put on the airplane or did she fly with no markings?

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :)

MeTriX
Airman Basic

Post by MeTriX »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Well that'll serve me right for not being curious, I didn't realise the image was a click-able link :?

Going to grab this one tomorrow for a blast around the big blue tomorrow 8) Fascinating history, the bartering part raised my eyebrows for sure!
I thought maybe a "Download Here" link would have been better... :lol:

Yes the history is quite interesting and it was a little difficult for researchers to track this airframe as FAH603. Just to add that Tyabb is in Victoria, Australia.
cflord wrote:I love the paint scheme. Is there any markings that still need to be put on the airplane or did she fly with no markings?
Well, the repaint represents the restored aircraft as it is now and not the full markings when it was in service. Usually the aircraft had its number on the engine cowling and beneath horizontal stabilzer on the fuselage. Here is a photo of FAH609 that was kept for the Honduran Air Museum and holds the title of the last F4U Corsair to score aerial victories in combat.

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”