Piper Cub - Around The World Adventure

Born to fly
Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Re: Piper Cub - Around The World Adventure

Post by Seria17hri11er »

maxter wrote:What an absolutely epic adventure, makes my little trip seem like a stroll to the corner store.
Looking forward to some more reports of this one.

Here is mine... http://cubaroundoz.webs.com/

Cheers,

Hello maxter. I noticed that you don't have a logbook that calculates total hours etc. etc. Here is one for you and everyone else! I got this from http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com probably a year ago or so. I cant find it on there now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mm55mha5z ... book-2.xls
ASEL

Image Image
Man is the victim of an environment which refuses to understand his soul.
Bukowski Pg. 172—Purple As an Iris—Tales of Ordinary Madness

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

Seria17hri11er wrote: Hello maxter. I noticed that you don't have a logbook that calculates total hours etc. etc. Here is one for you and everyone else! I got this from http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com probably a year ago or so. I cant find it on there now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mm55mha5z ... book-2.xls
Hey thanks a lot, it's very much appreciated. I will certainly give it a try. I'm not real clever with this stuff so thanks again,

Cheers,
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 09/26/09
Flight Miles - 4139
Flight Hours - 90:11
Average Ground Speed - 45.9
Current Location - Blonduos(BIBL), Iceland
Engine Overhauls - 3
Engine Failures - 2

While making the easy flights from our first Greenland stop at BGSS down the coast towards Nuuk (BGGH), I started having some second thoughts about keeping Heidi along for the next part of the journey. By some quick calculations, the long hauls around the southern tip of Greenland and then over to Iceland were going to be dangerously close.

So contingency plan "B" went into action.

When we landed at Nuuk, I purchased Heidi a seat on Greenland Air's run over to Copenhagen. They were nice enough to agree to drop her off in Iceland so that I could pick her back up when I finally got there. The puppy stayed with me so I'd have a little bit of company for the flight around the tip.

With Heidi's 123 pounds out of the front seat I grabbed a couple of plastic 5 gallon gas cans at the local hardware store and strapped those into the front seat. since this Cub's in pretty much original condition and doesn't have an aux tank upstairs, this seemed like the next best choice. Also, since I've already broken just about every FAA rule I can imagine pertaining to flying a Cub, whats' a couple of cans of gas in the front seat going to hurt. :)

Good timing on all of this in flight re-thinking of safety.

While making the decent into Narsarsuaq (BGBW), at the southern tip of Greenland, I experienced the second engine failure of the tour. Fortunantly I was still able to make the airport. I'm not exactly sure what led up to this one, other than the extended operations in very cold weather. It may have also been the way I was nose diving from altitude to make the landing. Although I had the carb heat on and I was watching not to over speed the prop, I was purposely decending like a rock to make the landing. Rapid cooling damage, hmmmm?

So after an engine rebuild in Nararsuaq, I headed up the east coast to the Greenland departure point at Kulusuk (BGKK). Most of this flight leg was up and over the Greenland icecap and then a good haul across the water to BGKK. With the upper winds not working really in our favor, the Cubs's normal fuel obviously didn't look like it was going to hold out for the water crossing. So in the pitch dark, I put the aircraft down on a barren beach along the fjord just NE of Saqdliaruseg. This was the first use of the two handy 5 gallon cans strapped in the front seat. After topping off the tank, we stayed low at 2000' for the trip into BGKK.

I think this may have been the first time I've seen the FSX icebergs. There weren't any big ones but they stood out clearly in the dark scattered about the ocean.

For the trip over to Iceland, I decided to pull another safety stop and top off the tank just in case the upper level winds weren't working. About 25 miles east of BGKK was a small island that looked to be pretty flat. I hugged the water after leaving BGKK heading for the spot. By the time I made the island the Cub had used about 9% of the onboard fuel, but we were 25 miles closer to Iceland.

So for the second time I used the extra fuel in the cans up front to top off the tank after landing on this small deserted sland.

For the night crossing over to Iceland and after trimming the Cub out at 11,200' with a 24kt tail wind, I pretty much snoozed most of the flight. The tailwinds were perfect and everytime I jotted down a time & distance calculation it was looking close but good the whole way.

About mid crossing:

Then at sunrise, about 80 miles out from Iceland, the tail wind picked it up a notch to 4o kts. As it turned out, by the time I crossed the coast, still at altitude, I had on board the same amount of fuel I topped off with on that little island. It looks as if the Cub would have made the crossing without that extra stop.

Finally sighting land. The sillohette of Iceland against the sunrise.

Sorry, not too many scenery shots of life over Greenland. It's been dark pretty much the whole time.

BTW, Once I finally landed at Patrekfjordur (BIPA), Iceland, Heidi was there waiting. I just can't figure out who she missed most, me or the puppy. She had however,already been into the airport gift shop and picked up the Iceland flag tourist decal, which looks good added to our growing little collection. 8)

FAC
FAC257

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

Hey guys, check this out. This guy is trying to fly across the world in his Piper Cub...and he has many problems along the way, but he still does not give up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPY5tydDVg

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Thanks for the link to that video. It makes me feel a little less nuts about what I'm trying in the A2A Cub. :)

It looks as if he had the gas can in the front seat thing going also. At one point it looked like he was transfering fuel in-flight. The other thought, is that the containers looked like they might be a drinking water supply.

FAC
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC527, how are you setting up your weather? Are you using FSX's default weather engine, or do you have something like ASA? Are you using real world weather with updates?
ASEL

Image Image

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Seria17hri11er

All of my fligths are flown in real time using real weather updates. No time acceleration allowed. :)

When I'm flying by myself, I use ASA and it's real world weather feature. On a couple of flight legs I was flying on a buddy of mine's private server. Since he's still using FS9 and the default weather system, I switched over to the FSX default real world weather updates, so that we were flying in as closely matching weather as possible.

The difference between FSX using ASA and FS9 using default MSFS weather is almost completely opposite sometimes.

FAC
FAC257

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

Hi FAC257,

Thanks for the update. I'm using real weather (REX 2.0) and real time as well. I got really beaten up during a couple of flights yesterday with 36 knot quartering winds pretty much forcing me to fly at 30 deg to my intended path. I am only using VFR nav, following roads and land features which are hugely accurate in ORBX's FTX series for Australia.

Cheers and all the best for the rest of your flight.
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:Seria17hri11er

All of my fligths are flown in real time using real weather updates. No time acceleration allowed. :)

When I'm flying by myself, I use ASA and it's real world weather feature. On a couple of flight legs I was flying on a buddy of mine's private server. Since he's still using FS9 and the default weather system, I switched over to the FSX default real world weather updates, so that we were flying in as closely matching weather as possible.

The difference between FSX using ASA and FS9 using default MSFS weather is almost completely opposite sometimes.

FAC
Awesome. Glad to hear that you are utilizing a good weather engine, and on top of that ASA! I also use it. The other day when I took a flight in the Razorback I was hitting thermals all over the place around FL 100. That sure was a challenge especially with force feedback!
ASEL

Image Image

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 09/29/09
Flight Miles - 4788
Flight Hours - 99:59
Average Ground Speed - 47.9
Current Location - 15NM SE of Unst (EGPW), Shetland Islands
Engine Overhauls - 3
Engine Failures - 2

Since making landfall in Iceland on Sunday, the flight across Iceland, and then the two ocean hops over to the Faroe Islands and finally into the Shetland Islands were made with plenty of fuel to spare.

When we landed yesterday evening in the Shetlands, I was going to declare it officially the end of the "Atlantic" crossing in the Cub, but..... After preping the next section of flight plan this afternoon, it looks like one more oceanic hop is the order of the evening.

Just after departing EGPW heading over to Sorkjosen Airport (ENSO), Norway. Again, not another beauty shot, but just very typical of the flight environment so far. The last time we saw daylight flying was back over Iceland for a few hours.

Here's Part-6 of the flight plan. A little over 2300 miles, Unst to Baku, Azerbiajan. Once we reach the coast of Norway here in a couple of hours, the rest of the flight legs in this next portion of the tour are easy. It'll be nice to take a little break from the in-flight brain damage of constantly working time/distance/fuel calculations while over the ocean. :)

BTW The take-off a few minutes ago from EGPW, marked the 100th flight hour of the world tour.

FAC
FAC257

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Great Job FAC....... I might have to try the same thing.

Back in 2003 I did a lap around the world in Bill Lyons Ryan STA (FS9)..... Real weather, no GPS, etc., etc. Landed at Kittyhawk on Dec. 17th at as close to the exact time of the 100th anniversary as I could. (I was about 20 seconds off.) I loved the flight but had to do a couple of 9 hour days that last week just to make it in time. No matter how you look at it...... it's a long way around this old world.... especially at 65mph. (I think I crusied at 90..... and no Accusim)

Good luck and enjoy the flight........ I'm enjoying reading of your progress!!

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

1SgtMajor

Going on big flight adventures or themed adventures are my favorite things to do in MSFS. The biggest difference I've felt during this particular adventure is in all of the night flying with no internal and external lighting. It's really adding to the feeling of being an early flight explorer. On the longer open water legs I kept thinking of Jimmy Stewart as Charles Lindberg in "The Spirit of St. Louis".

I get a three day weekend this week so I should be able to get some daytime flying in over the next few days.

Just departed Visby (ESSV), Sweden a few minutes ago, heading into Latvia and Lithuania this evening.

FAC
FAC257

Skulleader
Senior Airman

Post by Skulleader »

Hello FAC257,

Great journey and great idea.
Juste a little question, I really like you custom skin, please can you tell me is it's available?

A great thank's for all. Best regards.

Olivier.
ImageImageImageImage

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

FAC257 wrote:On the longer open water legs I kept thinking of Jimmy Stewart as Charles Lindberg in "The Spirit of St. Louis".
FAC........ Had to smile on that remark........ That's one of my favorite movies and I must admit it came to mind many times on my trek around the world. (smile)

I orginally started from Quantico Virginia (Jan 2003) in my first ever payware aircraft...... Dreamfleet's Archer. I too was putting flags on the side of the aircraft on each country I crossed and had worked my way all the way down to South Africa. That's when I got the bright idea to do a "Theme" flight for the 100th anniversary of aviation. It took me several months of looking but I finally settled on Bill Lyon's Ryan STA. Mostly because it was metal body..... fabric wings (kind of a cross between old and new aviation)......... it was a Ryan..... same company Lindberg went and was out of San Diego Lindberg Field......... and I live in Hemet, CA. where our local airport is Hemet-Ryan. (KHMT) It just seemed like all the stars were aligned or something and it was meant to be.

Best part..... I had contacted Mr. Lyons with a question on how to remove the front seat passenger and in Bill Lyons fashion he removed the passenger and enclosed the cockpit for me making it a one seater......... what a guy!! I was able to redo/rework the aircraft.cfg file for a 90 gal capacity fuel tank since I lost the passenger weight and I was all set for a wonderful expedition. Anyway... bottom line..... I departed on Oct. 3rd 2003 and as said earlier, arrived at Kittyhawk on Dec. 17th at 7:30 CA. time which made it 10:30 Kittyhawk time. Had the time of my life on the flight!!

I too like flying long slow distances..... so I may see you out there sometime. Keep the posts coming as I'll be checking in from time to time on your update reports. (smile)

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Speaking of RTW flights. I always thought that the Around the World trips by John Hughes and others were a bit of a cheat, especially when they were timed, because their flight routes were way too far North. In my opinion only keeping near the equator would qualify for an actual around the world trip. I just checked with Google Earth. The route that Hughes took was about 14,700 miles long. Now, if you stick to the equator the distance for one circumnavigation goes up to 25,000 miles. That's almost twice as much! To clarify what I mean this exaggerated example: I don't go to the North Pole, run around it touching all parallels and then claim I travelled around the world in 5 seconds, and on foot, no less! ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”