Piper Cub - Around The World Adventure

Born to fly
maxter
Airman First Class

Re: Piper Cub - Around The World Adventure

Post by maxter »

Wow, you are really moving along.

Moved my rig into a new Antec P193 case for better cooling and added a second GTX 260 in SLI as well as a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler and Corsair HT 1000W PSU.

So far temps seem really stable and I will start to experiment with a bit of overclocking shortly. Anyhow I am going for my next flight shortly... I have a long way to go.

Cheers and thanks for the updates,
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Seria17hri11er

I've never really spent much time in FS touring the area around Japan and off the China coast. I was very impressed with Taiwan and everything I've seen of Japan so far using just the default FSX scenery. I'd like to fly back onto the area in the future and look for some scenery enhancements to do some serious local touring. Even Pratas Island as small as it was, is a very cool landing spot.

Maxter

I think folks would be laughing if I posted my system specs. I'm flying on a machine I built at almost the same time FSX came out and I haven't upgraded a thing on it except adding a cooling fan a long while back and changing out the HD's because I ran out of room. :)

FAC
FAC257

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/17/09
Flight Miles - 13556
Flight Hours - 250:47
Average Ground Speed - 54.09
Flight Legs - 170
Landings - 91
Current Location - 40 nm NE of Nakashibetsu(RJCN), Japan, climbing through 7500'.

So much for the easy and scenic flight section of this last of couple days. We just landed a little bit ago at Nakashibetsu(RJCN), Japan. This is about as far north as we can go on Japan and now we're sitting at the foot of the Kuril Islands, our land bridge northward to Yelizovo(UHPP), Russia.

I think we had one of best endurance flights of the tour, during the northward trek across Japan. The upper level winds were howling at between 28 -38+ kts almost on our tail for most of the flight. On the hop from Toyama(RJNT) to Misawa AB(RJSM) we managed to log 4:32 and flew 380nm on a single tank of fuel.

Here's a couple taken during the last sunrise over Japan, heading across Hokkaido.

Because the next few days are a little on the unsafe side, we decided that it would be best if Heidi and the puppy stayed here in Japan until I send for them a little later. So Heidi and the pup are on their way back across Hokkaido, Japan to stay in Sapporo for a few days. Besides I needed the payload overhead that the two of them take up for fuel and supplies.

So the expeditionary portion of the tour begins. :)

I just departed RJCN headed northward along the Kuril Islands headed for UHPP. It's a 807nm trip with good tail winds showing.

In place of Heidi and the pup, I'm carrying 25 extra gallons of fuel in cans up front. and another 30 pounds of extra oil, drinking water and snacks for the trip up to Russia. So I traded Heidi and pup @ 138 pounds for 180 pounds of fuel, oil, water and snacks. :)

I'm going to start working the fuel and distance calculations right from the start and will turn back towards Japan to regroup, if it doesn't look good on the first 1/2 tank of fuel. But, with the tail winds working like they are right now, it should work out just about perfect. :roll:

FAC
Last edited by FAC257 on 21 Jun 2015, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:Seria17hri11er

I've never really spent much time in FS touring the area around Japan and off the China coast. I was very impressed with Taiwan and everything I've seen of Japan so far using just the default FSX scenery. I'd like to fly back onto the area in the future and look for some scenery enhancements to do some serious local touring. Even Pratas Island as small as it was, is a very cool landing spot.

FAC
Glad you liked asia/the pacific; its a wonderful place. Unfortunately I don't think there is any specialized payware scenery for Japan. However there is FS Genesis World Terrain Mesh which I own. It covers a huge area of the world including Asia and is excellent: http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merc ... gory_Code=

There is also Scenery Tech's Asia Landclass that looks to be pretty good: http://www.scenerytech.com/products/landclass/asia.htm
I plan on purchasing all of Scenery Tech's Landclass someday. I already have all of FS Genesis' products.
ASEL

Image Image
Man is the victim of an environment which refuses to understand his soul.
Bukowski Pg. 172—Purple As an Iris—Tales of Ordinary Madness

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

The FSGenesis Mesh worldwide coverage is the very first set of sceneries I install anytime I have to reload FSX. Never leave home without the FSG in place. :)

I was really happy to see that Justin is getting ready to gear back up and start producing new mesh sceneries again. I got one of those customer emails the other day saying he's working on new mesh for the North Atlantic areas.

I think the only FSG FSX product that I don't have is the Hawaiian Waterfall set. That's mostly because I haven't flown in that area for a very long time.

FAC
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:The FSGenesis Mesh worldwide coverage is the very first set of sceneries I install anytime I have to reload FSX. Never leave home without the FSG in place. :)

I was really happy to see that Justin is getting ready to gear back up and start producing new mesh sceneries again. I got one of those customer emails the other day saying he's working on new mesh for the North Atlantic areas.

I think the only FSG FSX product that I don't have is the Hawaiian Waterfall set. That's mostly because I haven't flown in that area for a very long time.

FAC
Awesome, glad to hear your a fan of FSGenesis. I got that email the other day as well.
ASEL

Image Image

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/18/09
Flight Miles - 14363
Flight Hours - 263:43
Average Ground Speed - 54.47
Flight Legs - 171
Landings - 94
Current Location - Yelizovo Airport(UHPP), Russia

Major Update / Major Goal Accomplished :!:

The Kuril Island crossing is complete and went without a hitch on the first attempt. Total crossing flight time 12:56.

It was clear even before the first tank of fuel was running low and I put her down on one of the islands that there was going to be enough fuel for the full run as long as nothing odd happened.

The loadout for the trip:
Pilot - 140 lbs.
Fuel in tank - 72 lbs
Fuel in 25 gallon aux can in front seat - 150 lbs
Extra oil, drinking water, food and gear - 30 lbs
Gross TOW at departure - 1165 lbs.

I'm not sure if it was default scenery or FSG working , but the Kuril Island chain was some really great scenery to fly over. The last time I remember spending this much time in this area was my combat days in Jane's US Marine Fighters and the Kuril Island Campaign. Oddly I think I actually recognized some of the spots where we were flying missions. 8)

Shortly after leaving Japan and starting the flight northward along the chain.

The first refueling stop was a landing on Urup Island about 3 hours out, just before sunset yesterday. I found a nice clearing in the trees on the NE side of the island. She took 70 lbs of fuel and a quart of oil to top things off. After a bite to eat and re-organizing/re-balancing the gear, I decided to park here for the evening.

Then early today before the sun came up I took off for the rest of the journey northward to Russia.

The second re-fueling stop was on Onekotan Island, not too far from the actual mainland. In the dark I set the Cub down on the side of the old volcano cauldron. This is a very unique feature where the old lava dome is out in the middle of the lake inside the cauldron. It's huge and must be really something to see in RL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OnekotanNASA.jpg

On this second refuel stop, she only used another 66 lbs of fuel and no oil to bring everything back up to full. The way the calculations had been working this should be enough fuel to make it the rest of the way. If not, I still had 14 lbs of fuel left in the gas can sitting in the front seat.

Starting the decent into UHPP.

If things plan out right this landing at Petropavlovsk, could be the last non-US airport landing of the tour.

So this long weekend's flying is officially done. Time to weigh out the flight plan options to finish the crossing back over into US territory. I have to go find Heidi and my dog and get them back on board. That stinky old gas can up front makes terrible company on the long flights. :)

FAC
FAC257

snb
Airman

Post by snb »

Welcome to Russia! ;-)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/20/09
Flight Miles - 14957
Flight Hours - 276:38
Flight Legs - 172
Landings - 98
Current Location - Casco Cove CGS (ATU), Alaska

Crossing the Pacific in a Cub seemed like it was a little bit easier than crossing the Atlantic. If nothing else the scenery was far more interesting and over some parts of the FS terrain that are probably not visited by many. :)

The crossing itself, from lift off from UHPP to touch down at ATU took 12:55 of flight time and three non-airport refuelling stops. The setup was the same as the Kuril Island crossing with the 25 gallon aux can up front and an additional 30 lbs. of oil, water and gear onboard.

From UHPP the route headed NE up the Russian coast to the first refuelling stop on the coastline before heading seaward towards the Commander Islands in the Bering Sea. The first stop on Bering Island and the second on Medny Island before heading over to the Aleutians.

Just after lift off from UHPP. I didn't realize until after taking off that the flight route would have taken the aircraft directly over the top of the volcano off in the distance.

Rather than go over it which would have been tough when trying to conserve fuel I decided to fly around it climbing to cruise altitude.

Leaving Russia, just after the first stop and tranfering 55 lbs of fuel and 1 lb of oil. To conserve fuel by avoiding another climb to altitude I landed on top of one of the cliffs and then did a rolling downhill take off.

Heading out from Bering Island after the second fuel transfer of 45 lbs.

Decending for the third fuel transfer spot on the beach at the far eastern tip of Medny Island. This was a short top off of 29 lbs of fuel.

Finally back in the US with this landing at the Casco Cove CGS. When I taxied to a stop by the hanger the fuel was showing 0%, but the engine was still running. So I think all that was left in the tank was fumes. There was still 21 lbs of fuel left in the aux can and for a little while it looked like I was going to have to make a fourth top off stop once reaching the island but it held out.

When I checked in at the Coast Guard Station there was already a message from Heidi. One of her favorite TV shows is "The Deadliest Catch" and so she thought it would be a cool idea to meet up with me when I reach Dutch Harbor.

Just great!!! Heidi's up ahead in a remote fishing port hanging out with famous TV fishermen. Ahhhhhh! :roll:

As long as my pup doesn't end up as crab trap bait, I guess it'll be okay. :)

FAC
Last edited by FAC257 on 21 Jun 2015, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:Cub World Tour Update: 10/20/09
Flight Miles - 14957
Flight Hours - 276:38
Flight Legs - 172
Landings - 98
Current Location - Casco Cove CGS (ATU), Alaska

When I checked in at the Coast Guard Station there was already a message from Heidi. One of her favorite TV shows is "The Deadliest Catch" and so she thought it would be a cool idea to meet up with me when I reach Dutch Harbor.

Just great!!! Heidi's up ahead in a remote fishing port hanging out with famous TV fishermen. Ahhhhhh! :roll:

As long as my pup doesn't end up as crab trap bait, I guess it'll be okay. :)

FAC
:lol: Hahaha. Good one.
ASEL

Image Image

snb
Airman

Post by snb »

Oh, FAC257! I'm very sorry!!!
I forgot to tell you about greatest scenery of UHPP (Petropavlovsk - Kamchatsky).
You can find it here:
Main scenery + little patch.
Little video about this places.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Only 4680 Miles To Go!!!! :mrgreen:

The canned plan.....4780NM with 54 airport waypoints.

I'm currently about 100nm east of Eareckson Air Station(PASY) heading for a top off landing on Little Sitkin Island. This will be the last flight leg needing an aux can up front. From that point on all of the flight leg airport waypoints are in easy normal Cub range.

FAC
FAC257

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/23/09
Flight Miles - 15731
Flight Hours -289:48
Average Ground Speed - 54.30
Flight Legs - 178
Landings - 104
Current Location - 10nm east of Unalaska(PADU), Alaska

Finally made it into Dutch Harbor yesterday evening. Almost every landing and take-off of the last couple of days has been into some very strong head winds. I've had a to really sharpen up the taxi techniques for strong winds on the ground. I've caught a few nose-overs and flip-overs just in time to prevent damage. Take-offs have all been pretty much vertical helicopter departures. :)

Decending into Unalaska and Dutch Harbor.

Doing a fly-by of the fishing fleet to let Heidi and the pup know I'm finally there.

Finding which boat Heidi was on wasn't really much of a problem. The docks were pretty quiet except for one large fleet boat that looked like it was having a spring break party on the aft deck. I knew it was the right spot cause there were about 40 guys and only one woman dancing in the party lights strung up on the rigging. I could hear the music over the aircraft engine as I flew past.

The dumb part is that somewhere Heidi got the bright idea to buy a ridiculous souvenir . When they finally got over to the airport, I looked down to see my dog wearing a tourist tee shirt that reads, "I Got Crabs In Dutch Harbor". :roll:

FAC
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:Cub World Tour Update: 10/23/09
Flight Miles - 15731
Flight Hours -289:48
Average Ground Speed - 54.30
Flight Legs - 178
Landings - 104
Current Location - 10nm east of Unalaska(PADU), Alaska

"I Got Crabs In Dutch Harbor". :roll:

FAC
Nice :lol:
ASEL

Image Image

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/24/09
Flight Miles - 17108
Flight Hours - 316:56
Average Ground Speed - 54.00
Flight Legs - 195
Landings - 116
Current Location - Dease Lake Airport (CYDL) BC, Canada

We just landed right as the sun was setting at Dease Lake in Canada after battling some miserable weather just about all day. Headwinds, rain, snow, low cloud ceilings. Not all at the same time but always in constantly changing combos that made for some interesting flying along the southern coastal islands of Alaska.

During what should have been an easy leg along the Alaskan coast between Dog Fish Bay (AK07) to Chenega Bay (C05), the headwinds were so fierce that I was using up fuel at almost double the rate just to make head way. Half way through the flight we had to divert north into Seward(PAWD), to take on more fuel. This was one of the very few fuel diverts we've had to make during the entire trip, but not the last one of this day. :?

Decending for the unscheduled stop over at Seward(PAWD).

Several days back, I had originally thought that the finally segments of the flight would have been along the US west coast and then eastward along the southern routes back into Florida. When I was sitting on ATU at the end of the Aleutians and shot a flight plan "Direct", it turned out to be quicker to make the the great circle arch across portions of Canada.

Our departure from Icy Bay Airport (19AK) as the sun was coming up, was suposed to have been our last stop in Alaska. We had what should have been another easy Cub run, across the Canadian border towards a landing at Mule Creek Airport(CBS4) BC, Canada. Again the winds and weather added too many backwards components to the flight. Just before making the border crossing, we decided to stop fighting the wind and head SE along the Alaskan coast towards a series of small fishing camp type airports located around the Alsek River area. We made our way along the face of the coastal mountains and landed at Alsek River Airport(A57).

Heidi, watching closely on the approach into Alsek River Airport.

The original planned route from 19AK was a straight shot to CBS4, if the weather had cooperated. The only problem with the diversion down to the coast to A57, was that now , we had a heck of a climb back up along the Alsek River vallies to gain the alitutude nessecary to get back up to the Mule Creek Airport and on top of our original flight plan. But we had the wind at our back to make the climb, which was part of this new plan. 8)

For the winding journey back up through the mountains I was joined once more by an old flight partner,WND, in another light tail dragger. We departed A57 and started following the river up stream to the destination airport.

This one was taken looking backwards towards the Canadian - Alaskan border, which we had just crossed a few minutes back

One nice bonus for the rest of the trip is that now all of the flying can be accomplished under normal daylight conditions. :wink:

FAC
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”