Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/28/09
Flight Miles - 18185
Flight Hours - 337:52
Average Ground Speed - 53.84
Flight Legs - 206
Landings - 123
Current Location - 20 NW of Minot AFB(KMIB), North Dakota

One of the last major milestones of the trip as we just crossed the border back into the US a little bit ago. 8)

We'll be passing directly over Minot AFB in a few minutes.

The long delay between the last couple of flight updates was due to slowing the pace down to enjoy the scenery of the last several days.

I used the routing excuse to finally add UTX-Canada to my scenery library. When we crossed over into Canada from Alaska we switched to doing a lot of low level valley flying while cutting through the Canadian Rockies.

Most of these were taken enroute into Ft. Ware(CAJ9), Canada. What a beautiful area. :)

By the time we land around sunset this evening we should make southern Minnesota after cutting across the far upper NE corner of South Dakota.

Only about 1500 miles to the finish line. :!:

FAC
FAC257

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Re: Piper Cub - Around The World Adventure

Post by Seria17hri11er »

FAC257 wrote:Cub World Tour Update: 10/28/09
Flight Miles - 18185
Flight Hours - 337:52
Average Ground Speed - 53.84
Flight Legs - 206
Landings - 123
Current Location - 20 NW of Minot AFB(KMIB), North Dakota

FAC
Minot AFB, now there is a great place! :roll:
ASEL

Image Image
Man is the victim of an environment which refuses to understand his soul.
Bukowski Pg. 172—Purple As an Iris—Tales of Ordinary Madness

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Update: 10/30/09
Current Location - 60 SE of Nashville Intl. (KBNA), Tennessee.

Just made the "500 Miles To Go" waypoint !!!!!!!!!

Most of the early morning flight was spent battling the winds and rains of the storm front across the nation's midwest today. Most of the bad weather bad let up about the time we crossed the Kentucky - Tennessee border.

At this point in time, we should have already been well into Georgia, but we had a real life puppy emergency today. :(

The little Min-Pin that's been riding behind me in the baggage compartment for this entire journey, somehow broke one of his toe nails down to the quick this morning. I think he did it playing with a sock. We made the emergency landing and 3 hour stop at Sturgis Muni(I05), Kentucky, while I ran him up to the vet's office. His doctor had to remove almost all of that nail because of the damage, but there's enough left that it should grow back in just fine. The vet visit coupled with the pain he was in traumatized him for a bit, but now he's currently sound asleep on the pilot's lap as we're making our way to the Georgia border. :)

Just after sunrise this morning, crossing the Mississippi River near Southeast Iowa Regional(KBRL), Iowa.

The sun's about done for the day on the last sunset flight of the journey, a few mile east of Nashville.

We'll be landing somwhere in NW Georgia in a little bit as the light fades and then should cross the finish line sometime early tomorrow. 8)

FAC
FAC257

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Almost there............ isn't that a great feeling!! I'm getting ready to head out on a "Real Life" business trip so I may not be around to congratulate your journey and to say "Thank You" for the wonderful shots and allowing us all to tag along.

I did make it cross country on my solo expedition from my Home in Southern California to Kitty Hawk where NC41792 is presently parked for a couple of weeks. It was really an enjoyable trip..... did real VFR using AOPA charts and real weather using REX2...... I was quite surprised at the accuracy of FSX as compared to the real charts. (Not exact....... but close enough to utilize real charts; i.e., Roads, Rails, the larger towers and most of the larger sized lakes and rivers were identifiable.) Got weathered in for a day or so in a couple of places....... like you, fought some pretty tough winds a couple of times......... but did the entire trip with ONLY the real charts...... daylight hours only and behind the stick for the trip. Lovely time indeed.

Again..... Many thanks for the very enjoyable read and wonderful screen shots...... Hope you'll post more of future trips.

As they say......... Keep the shiny side up!!

Cheers,

P.S. You can keep Heidi............... I haven't missed the old floosy a bit. (smile)
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Thanks for the great reports. And? Is the finishing line depression starting to kick in? That's what I experience after a long voyage... the sadness that it's over and the boring old home is coming up. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Cub World Tour Final Stats: 10/31/09
Flight Miles - 19805
Flight Hours - 367:01
Average Ground Speed - 53.96 MPH
Flight Legs - 231
Landings - 134
Current Location - New Smyrna Beach Municipal(KEVB), Florida

We Have Touch Down !!!!! :D

After 55 days, through 25 countries, our little J-3 Cub finally made the last landing at KEVB a few minutes ago.

Final look of the left side fuselage as we were headed into New Smyrna. While on the way into Florida this morning I did think of a name I wanted to add to the right side of the fuselage, but didn't want to stop anywhere to update the paint scheme. But when I get a few minutes, I'm adding this J-3's official name under the Piper emblem on the other side. From here on, she's officially named "Are We There Yet!". :D

Lift off this morning was at 5AM, from Barwick-Lafayette Airport(9A5) in northwest Georgia. Just about dawn we came down for the first refuelling of the day at Warner Robins Airport(5A2), a few miles south of Macon. This was the first photo of the day while departing 9A5.

There was probably enough fuel on board from the stop at 9A5 to make it all the way, but we really didn't want to have to make any pit stops after making it into Florida. Just north of the border we topped off at Fargo Airport(GA25) in Georgia.

Flying over the Okefenokee Swamp while crossing the Florida border about 40 miles west of Jacksonville.

Looking back at Daytona International Raceway and the Daytona Airport, KDAB. At this point I can already see our finally destination about 10 miles ahead.

Descending over New Smyrna, airport just ahead with clearance to land on Rwy2.

The final touchdown.

The feeling of being bummed out that the journey was almost over actually kicked in when I crossed the Canadian border into the US. It was exactly that same feeling you get after a long road trip adventure and you make that final turn on the last off ramp before home. You know that the only thing left of your adventure are the back roads to your house and suddenly everything goes into slow motion.

When we first started up the coast of Florida and thinking about making a world tour out of the flight, I wasn't really sure I could get a Cub completely around the world. The storyline and flight plans were made up as we went along and as it happened. Then once we made it across the Atlantic with the help of the "gas can in the front seat" inovation, it started looking a little more like it was going to work. I was never completely sure about how to get across the Pacific until we got over there. We were winging this one the whole way.

Thanks to all of you that were reading and tagging along for the trip. :)

FAC
FAC257

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the completition of an outstanding achievement. Reading your reports was a lot of fun and a Cub certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a trip around the world. All the more power to you for chosing pretty much the slowest aircraft there is for this gigantic undertaking. Great stuff that everything worked out, despite one or two bumps on the road. My regards to Min-Pin and Heidi! ;)
Last edited by Jigsaw on 02 Nov 2009, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Congrats! Been following this for some time, but took a break due to work. Came back and saw you were on your way home. Nice to read these stories as they pretty much happened. You did something I surely could not do myself!

Cheers,
-Cody
ImageImage
ImageImage

Seria17hri11er
Senior Airman

Post by Seria17hri11er »

Congratulations! Dont worry, you can do this again with A2A's next release!
ASEL

Image Image
Man is the victim of an environment which refuses to understand his soul.
Bukowski Pg. 172—Purple As an Iris—Tales of Ordinary Madness

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

Seria17hri11er wrote:Congratulations! Dont worry, you can do this again with A2A's next release!
And that is? :lol:
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”