Where are you taking your Cub

Born to fly
new reply
Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Where are you taking your Cub

Post by Mickel »

So... I'm not normally one for whimsical threads such as this, but too bad... I have three insta-buys on the horizon. Naturally, the Cub is one of them. I'm going to fly one of the other Pipers to Bradford Regional (KBFD), which I'm guessing is the closest airport to the Piper factory at the time. I'm going to pick up the J-3 and fly it to Plum Island (2B2). I think it's fitting that I fly the new rendition of what was my first payware plane to what was my first payware airport. Then I'm going to fly it to Walter Sutton's, near Lake Merwin, WA. It's gunna be a looong trip with no AP, no nav aids, little operating ceiling to play with... And I'm going to enjoy every second of it...

Where will you be taking yours?
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Where are you taking your Cub

Post by MarcE »

I have none... I WOULD fly it in VR from Vienna through the alps and then up to Norway... if I had it back... Maybe one day.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I just downloaded and installed all the free ORBX water runways in British Columbia. I'll visit all of 'em when the Cub is released.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 04 Jan 2020, 18:27, edited 7 times in total.

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

When they release it we'll fly it.
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

CV60
Airman

Post by CV60 »

I'll be continuing my cross-country adventures across the continental US. I've stopped since FSX stopped working for me, and the Stearman just didn't have the same feel as the J-3. But once the A2A J-3 is released, I'll be flying it again!
https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/index.p ... /#comments

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

CV60 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 12:55 I'll be continuing my cross-country adventures across the continental US. I've stopped since FSX stopped working for me, and the Stearman just didn't have the same feel as the J-3. But once the A2A J-3 is released, I'll be flying it again!
https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/index.p ... /#comments
I've always wanted to recreate the epic trip the Buck-brothers took back in the days in their Piper Cub. Low and slow, nordo, paper charts only. If the new A2A Cub-release is a proper upgrade (with the correct propeller physics they have in their newer planes) I might do it. If not, I'm not very inclined to spend that much time in the aircraft, but then again the Cub is lovely... So I might do it anyway...

Look at the US cross country route of the Buck-brothers here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HYtyWCboTek/U ... 2%2529.jpg
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Medtner wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 13:05I've always wanted to recreate the epic trip the Buck-brothers took back in the days in their Piper Cub.
"Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck.

That's actually a pretty good flight and a good excuse to spend a few hours in the A2A Cub.

Hook

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Was snowing when I arrived at Bradford in the Comanche. Didn't bode well. The next morning dawned cold, but otherwise a lovely winters' day. Headed from Bradford to Wilkes-Barre then on to Chester. Used a couple of tanks of gas on the way. Further eastward tomorrow. It's great to have the Cub back.

Mike
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

CV60
Airman

Post by CV60 »

Well, this a surprise! My cross country trip in a Cub is back on ( https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/index.p ... piper-cub/ ), after a Fam flight or two

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Yay... made it to Plum Island... now west ward...

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I bought the Cub an hour or two after learning it was available.

My first flight was my normal sightseeing run from my home airport in Bonham Tx, west along the river to highway 75, then down the highway to downtown Dallas. Around the downtown area, fly through the "keyhole" in that one building there, then back up 75 to highway 121 back to Bonham. This my my default test flight.

I thought about recreating Flight of Passage again but didn't want to read the book yet again. So I decided to make the return flight from California back to New Jersey using my own flight plan. Highway 8, 10, 20, 30, 40, 81, 78 and I'm already at Kingsport on highway 81 after 33 hours of flying. I even got in a bit of night flying under a full moon including my first night flight over downtown Dallas.

I forgot how much fun it was to fly the Cub. Even after 12,000 hours in the sim I'm still learning something new every time I fly, and the Cub is teaching me even more then usual.

When I flew over Knoxville I noticed the SunSphere, which was a prominent location in a book I recently read, and I didn't remember what city it was in or that I might be flying over it. Prepar3D is So Cool! :D

Not sure where I'll go next after New Jersey.

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ok folks, lets ramp it up a bit and lets see your screenies from adventures so far 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Heading west, I've only made it as far as Allentown, PA so far. Heidi is happy with the wheels landings. I've given up on three point with her on board. Hopefully I'll at least get to the mountains this weekend. I've decided to plot a more southerly route to mitigate the winter weather through the mid-west. I lost one day due to weather.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Just landed in New Jersey, KLDJ is the assumed airport which isn't specified in Flight of Passage. Right at 40 hours over 6 days. Where to now?

Great little airplane.

After I parked I got out of the Cub and went to avatar mode and walked around. Dang that thing is small compared to anything I usually fly! Probably bigger than a Pitts though.

Hook

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Parked at 6B6:

"They've taken all the coal from the ground
and the union people have run away"

Skirting Harrisburg

Threatening clouds

Now in the south western corner of Pennsylvania. Wind was up... progress was slow. Crossing the Appalachians was a bit painful, but we got there. Into West Virginia tomorrow, wind and visibility allowing.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”