Cub - first impression/no persistent state?

Born to fly
new reply
IGrant
Airman Basic

Cub - first impression/no persistent state?

Post by IGrant »

Just took the Cub for a quick first flight- I downloaded and installed it yesterday but didn't have time to fly. I did load it up, hit Cold and Dark before assigning some controls and having a look over it before closing the sim until today. When I loaded it up today, to my surprise it was running. Does the Cub not save the state you left it in like every other AccuSim plane? If not, can we please add that to the feature requests? I know it's a very simple aircraft and having to shut it down is rather trivial I admit but it also kind of kills the immersion for me. That's what I love about my AccuSim planes, they are exactly how I left them, switches, knobs, tie downs, and fluid levels and condition.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed to see that a lot of the usual AccuSim features were missing from the Cub. No pre-flight, no maintenance hangar etc.... Don't get me wrong, my initial flight showed me that the Cub is a work of art in terms of modeling and dynamics but I do miss those little extras that come with an AccuSim aircraft regardless of the complexity of the actual aircraft.

It sure does fly nice though. I think this might have been the first time I actually got the sensation of floating through real air as I entered the pattern. I don't know if it was the subtle movements or the response of the controls but something felt very right about it as though I was actually moving through air.

+Modeling is top notch!
+Flight dynamics are possibly the best I've experienced in a sim
+Kudos for advancing the passenger on board idea. I didn't use it but it's a great way to add more dynamics to our sims.

Over all my first impressions are very favorable but I'd sure love to see some more of the AccuSim extras brought into the Cub. Not to sell it short on the fact that it's got four independently and accurately model configurations and a responsive passenger and feels real of course. No other airplanes feel like their 'mine' quite like AccuSim planes though and I'd love more of an element of that with the Cub.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Cub - first impression/no persistent state?

Post by Scott - A2A »

IGrant,

Thanks for the feedback here. The J3 is built with our Accu-Sim v.1.5, which was just prior to the core system that includes the walk around and the persistent state. As you can see it's still a formidable system and I actually think still without equal. But this is why we only charge $30 instead of $50 for a V.2 Accu-Sim airplane.

And Heidi (originally called "Passenger On Board") has a magic to the way she acts and reacts. To bring her and the aircraft into V.2 would be basically the same as making a brand new airplane from scratch.

I'm glad you noticed the 3D artwork and texture upgrades. This was a longer process than the original and we are also happy with the results. This was all done in house by A2A's Michal Puto who also made the Cessna 172 and 182.

With Heidi, new pilots, physical based rendering (PBR), improved physics on land, water and snow, tundra tires, deep system modeling, etc., I don't think there is anything out there for $30 that comes close. But we do appreciate you taking time to post your first impressions.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

I agree with IGrant. The Cub looks (best PBR ever seen so far) and flies very nice, but the missing Hangar is dissapointing and i wouldn‘t buy it now with the knowing of that (bought it to early :?). Especially that the different specs (ski, tundra, etc.) can’t be put into the same airplane via the Hangar is a huge missing. For an 2020 Release by A2A, it didn’t reached my personal expectations.

IGrant
Airman Basic

Post by IGrant »

Scott, thank you for the reply. That makes a lot of sense then and come to think of it I do believe that I previously saw that this version was being called a 'reboot' or something of that nature. I didn't put two and two together that this current Cub wasn't using the newest version of AccuSim.

I appreciate the explanation and in light of that retract my 'disappointments'. And the lower price tag was definitely not lost on me!

And no doubt, it's a gorgeous model in the way it looks and flies.

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

cbramkamp wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 13:33 I agree with IGrant. The Cub looks (best PBR ever seen so far) and flies very nice, but the missing Hangar is dissapointing and i wouldn‘t buy it now with the knowing of that (bought it to early :?). Especially that the different specs (ski, tundra, etc.) can’t be put into the same airplane via the Hangar is a huge missing. For an 2020 Release by A2A, it didn’t reached my personal expectations.
Does that not underline how spoiled we have become with Accusim Version 2.0 ?
:D

I would have liked the walkaround inspection too, but also have to admit that this little aircraft is so simple that there wouldn´t be alot to inspect that would make sense in a flightsim.

While it´s possible to fit wheel covers and fenders, and even propeller type (due to Accusim simulating engine and propeller physics by literally bypassing P3D's physics), replacing the landing gear type (wheel, tundrawheel, ski and floats) isn´t that easy due to limitation in P3D.

For 30$ we got more than just a portover of the FSX Piper Cub J-3.
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Dang it! :cry:

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

My first thought was 'woohoo - insta-buy. Wow, that's cheaper than I expected.'

Loaded her up and the engine was running. Turned her off. Flicked through the Shift-# keys and thought 'huh, well that's what $30 gets you...'. Then started her up again, took off and you could not wipe the smile off my face. Flew her some. Landed. Put some more gas in her because the tank was almost empty. Flew her until that tank was almost empty and the sun was beginning to set. Decided I don't care that she doesn't have the hangar, walk around and the extra toys. Flew another four hours today. Had Heidi remind me how slack I get with landing. Finally got one that passed without comment. We're going across the US, so one of us better get used to them...

It's a wonderful plane. I would have understood if it wasn't brought up to 64b in favour of new things. Wouldn't have liked it much, but would have understood. The feel of flying is like no other in an FSX based sim. I can tell you what my logbook is going to look like soon:
B77L
B748
Comanche
J-3
J-3
J-3
J-3
J-3
J-3

Thanks Scott & team.

Mike
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Mickel wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 05:59Had Heidi remind me how slack I get with landing. Finally got one that passed without comment. We're going across the US, so one of us better get used to them...It's a wonderful plane.
I fly completely differently when Heidi is in the front seat as well which tells me the concept works. I forgot just how massive her vocabulary is until having to crack back into the code (her mind) and review how she thinks, what she sees, her mood, etc. She doesn't just respond based on what is happening, but it's based on her mood. And her mood is first based on the type of personality you choose then based on what you have been doing. Those who have flown the nervous personality you will notice she can be a bit apprehensive and then if she has "seen enough" can actually become angry. You can also drive her into "shock"

But this changing mood is based on how you fly and if you listen to her (back off for example) or continue to mess up.

The fun personality was based on my wife. She loves roller coasters and loves negative g's in the airplane. In fact before I take anyone up in an airplane for the first time, I ask "do you like roller coasters?" Nothing is 100% accurate but this has been the best question I can ask because based on how the person respond I can get a glimpse into how they will react to a small airplane, especially in turbulence.

It's definitely the way people are. You have a basic state which is largely inherited then you have experiences. The fun roller coaster type is definitely more trusting and hasn't had bad physical experiences like that and just enjoys almost any maneuver you do in an airplane. And some just don't not like any foreign movements / forces. It tightens them right up.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

Funny coincidence Scott, I ask the very same question of first time passengers.
“Do you like roller coasters?”
Excellent way to gauge what type of flight it will be.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Nice to see the Cub back in my hanger. :D

I absolutely love roller coasters. The more radical the better. Probably explains why the first thing I do with a new aircraft is to try some aerobatics.

As to the 'limited hanger'. Not a problem. The first thing I did with the old FSX Cub, was to figure out how to add a float and ski option for the RAF livery.

Steve.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The Cub is great! :D

I was mildly disappointed when I checked the manual before I bought the plane to find that there was no walkaround or maintenance goodies, but those are a small part of flying. Nice to have but not essential.

I'm running P3Dv4.4 and was surprised that the PBR stuff wasn't black. It's not great, but it ain't bad. I was willing to put up with black objects if necessary until I get around to upgrading. Looks like it'll take a couple of hot fixes to 4.5 before it'll work right so I'm not in any hurry. It's "good enough."

I dug into nervous Heidi's code once to see what it would take to get a landing she'd like. I gave up after a couple of hours. I gotta commend you on Heidi's code though, it's quite good.

I guess my personality type is Calm. I don't particularly like roller coasters, but I don't mind turbulence as a passenger in a light plane, and I was given the controls in a Cessna 172 once in turbulence and had no problems. The pilot offered to fly under a bridge but I declined; I've done it often enough in the sim anyway. :)

I save my flights and have one for the Cub. I haven't had any problems with any A2A aircraft when doing this, and I'm not sure what is or is not persistent when doing it this way. I'd already done "Flight of Passage" with the old Cub and decided to do the return trip this time with my own route: follow highways 8, 10, 20, 30, 40, 81.

I seem to remember that opening the window or door had a lot more wind noise in the older version of the Cub. I won't complain though.

Congrats on an excellent airplane. And thanks.

Hook

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Scott - A2A wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 13:18 ...The J3 is built with our Accu-Sim v.1.5, which was just prior to the core system that includes the walk around and the persistent state....
I absolutely get why the J-3 has not been given the full works with regards to persistence, walk-around and hanger, however would it be possible to add and option for the cub always to be loaded in a cold and dark state? Always find it feels a little pointless to load it, click the cold and dark state button and then start up manually again.

Otherwise I have been rather enjoying flying the Cub around in Hawaii and Papua New Guinea in VR... I thought it would be even more immersive in VR and was not let down. :D

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Blitzer wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 19:47
Scott - A2A wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 13:18 ...The J3 is built with our Accu-Sim v.1.5, which was just prior to the core system that includes the walk around and the persistent state....
I absolutely get why the J-3 has not been given the full works with regards to persistence, walk-around and hanger, however would it be possible to add and option for the cub always to be loaded in a cold and dark state? Always find it feels a little pointless to load it, click the cold and dark state button and then start up manually again.

Otherwise I have been rather enjoying flying the Cub around in Hawaii and Papua New Guinea in VR... I thought it would be even more immersive in VR and was not let down. :D
This would be great.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”