Issues with the (my) engine sound

Born to fly
new reply
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Issues with the (my) engine sound

Post by MarcE »

Hi guys,

well, my Cub is getting close to the 20h mark (airframe, I had to replace the engine half through as I overestimated myself when balancing on the wheels lol) which is about the time I logged on a real J-3 13 years ago and I am more and more thrilled about what you have done with that little plane. Congratulations!! The flight dynamics feel so incredibly real that, mostly flying in VR, I totally forget that it's actually a sim.. and I find myself showing Heidi what this plane can do (haha)

A thing I noticed might be down to my system but I really would appreciate any help in solving it as it's becoming a little annoying over time.

I'm currently flying without VR at 2100-2200 rpm, 75-77 mph. Looking straight forward the prop blade sound becomes quite dominant to the engine roaring sound while latter becomes dominant when looking to either side. I use a 7.1 headset (Platronics GameCom 780) in opposite the the Rift headset when in VR and I have played around a lot with the sound config coming with Win10 regarding stereo, quadrophonic, 5.1, 7.1, several enhancements and inhibitions. Additional to that I hear a short sound gap, I think it comes from the prop blade sound, every 7-8 seconds when the sound loop restarts. I already heard something similar flying Milviz aircraft and they were able to resolve it on their side by correcting their sound mix but then it was a click sound. In the Cub it's a break or a gap, approximately 1/10th of a second long.

Given the fact that I also have this fading effect when moving my pan view to the sides I have the suspicion it MIGHT be an issue with my system rather with the sound BUT I do NOT hear this that obvious flying for example the A2A C172. There is a change of the sound, sure, when the engine moves from one ear to the other, but no fading.

As said before I've already played around with the sound and at one point I lost or muted the Accusim (?) prop blade sound and the engine roar was still audible. So I think they are routed via different systems? Could there be an issue with my setup?

I'm thankful for any help to get this solved. =)

Marc

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Issues with the (my) engine sound

Post by Scott - A2A »

Marc,

Do you think if we rendered a mono set of engine wav files this would help?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Scott - A2A wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 16:54 Marc,

Do you think if we rendered a mono set of engine wav files this would help?

Scott.
Hi Scott,

I really don't know as I haven't found out where it comes from. I know a lot about the NVIDIA control panel but almost nothing about sound setings. And I don't remember having had these issues in FSX and P3Dv3 with the old Cub.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

sometimes a key word already helps.. Thanks Scott. lol

Right click on the speaker symbol in the windows task bar, turning on the spatial sound setting for headsets... reload the aircraft... et voilà.

I request a facepalm smiley for my personal use... please. =) it even cured this "gap". I guess your sound is just fine.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”