Excellent to Good engine condition

Born to fly
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

Excellent to Good engine condition

Post by Hook »

My Cub engine condition changed from Excellent to Good at about 42 hours. Anyone else noticed how many hours they're getting on an overhaul?

I've been treating the Cub engine very well. No overspeed, trying hard to keep the oil pressure below "red line" on takeoff, which is hard to do in frigid weather (-18 C). I haven't been able to overheat the Cub even in 40 C weather and a long climb.

I do a lot of main wheel taxiing and haven't had a prop strike yet. Probably my next flight... :D It used to happen fairly often before.

I've actually got 81 hours on the new Cub. At one point I wanted to check something out on the P3Dv2 (FSX) cub and loaded that in that sim. When I went back to P3Dv4 I noticed my Cub had completely reset the number of hours. Looks like the new Cub is still using the file in the FSX folder.

Hook

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Excellent to Good engine condition

Post by taildraggin68 »

If I remember correctly, the hours between overhauls can be changed based on your preference. If you click on the hours in the maintenance tab, I believe it changes.

I've already had a sudden catastrophic failure. My guess was the carb heat left on when going full power for a go around during some STOL practice. Found another field close enough and got her down safely with no other damage. I dont mind the shorter overhaul time, it keeps things interesting.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

300 hours is the default time between overhauls. The other option is either 1500 or 1800, I don't remember which.

At the rate my engine is wearing, I should hit "needs overhaul" at around 200 hours, "must overhaul" at 400. That seems right for a 300 time between overhauls. :)

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That sounds about spot on Hook 8) 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”