200 hours in the Cub!

Born to fly
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

200 hours in the Cub!

Post by Hook »

I just landed with 100.3 hours on my Cub. Log book says 100.4, close enough. Does anyone have more hours at this time?

My flight started at San Diego and went to New Jersey, the return flight from the book "Flight of Passage" using my own flight plans. From there I flew down the coast to Key West, then over to Cuba, to SABA then down the island chain to Martinique. Skyvector.com says 4953 nautical miles in 50 flights over 15 days with 97.6 hours logged on the trip plus 2.7 hours to check out the Cub.

I bought the Cub the day after it was released, as soon as I saw it.

Cool aircraft. :)

Hook
Last edited by Hook on 04 Feb 2020, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: 100 hours in the Cub!

Post by Mickel »

Well done. My next flight will take me past 25, which is pretty darn good for me. Not flown anything else since it came out. I lost three days to Railroad Corporation, and been away for four days as well.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Holy moly thats some quick time you racked up there! WOW :shock: 8)

Cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 06:24 Holy moly thats some quick time you racked up there! WOW :shock: 8)
What can I say? I like to fly. And I'm enjoying the Cub after having to give it up when I transitioned to P3Dv4.

Thanks. :)

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That is some hours man. Now what then for your adventure? 8) Maybe north or south to leave the USA, or some PNW adventures?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Well, I flew Merrill Pass in Alaska, as documented elsewhere. Does that count? I may do Talkeetna to Ruth Glacier on McKinley next.

The problem with flying outside civilization is the limited range in the Cub. I need to find airports that are close enough to reach that also have fuel. I was thinking about flying up the west coast of Central America but I'm not sure about the fuel situation there. Flying from Cuba to SABA I ran across a few airports that were supposed to have fuel, that FS-FlightControl showed as having a fuel spot, but no fuel pumps were there. I had to cheat and actually use the load manager to refuel. :)

I'm probably going to be doing some South Africa or Australia flights to test what the engine gauges do in hot temperatures. I've seen as high as 115F in central Australia. I've done some preliminary tests in Australia, but no real flights.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: 200 hours in the Cub!

Post by Hook »

I just landed at Shreveport at 23:54 on February 3, completing 200.4 hours since I bought the Cub on January 4. I passed the Connie which had 200.2 hours.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: 200 hours in the Cub!

Post by Hook »

Wowsers. Two hundred hours in a month.

In that time I flew from California to New Jersey to Trinidad to Florida to Louisiana and I'm currently in Shreveport. I also started a flight in Alaska at Sparrevohn through Merrill Pass to Anchorage, out to Dutch Harbor and back and landed back at Sparrevohn. I learned a bunch of new things about flying, did some customization, found reported and fixed a few bugs (and got my name mentioned in the update release post), and generally had a great time. I've flown in clear weather, zero/zero weather (1 mile visibility 300 foot ceilings), rain, snow, hail mixed with freezing rain and snow mixed with freezing rain. I almost had my fifth forced landing due to icing. I haven't been around any thunderstorms but saw some in the distance. I've even got in a few night hours. I've flown in incredibly cold weather (-35 C) and learned to get the Cub started in the insane cold without having to use autostart, and a few test flights in temperatures as hot as I could find (45 C once). I've flown on skis to Denali and tundra tires in the Aleutians, but no floats yet.

From Shreveport I'll fly up the Red River to my home airport in Bonham Tx, F00. The Cub is just that kind of aircraft. Seat of the pants flying and seat of the pants navigation. I may complete the circle back to California, haven't decided yet.

Some may consider me a Cub enthusiast, other less gracious people a Cub fanatic. Lewis suggested Cub addict (hey, I can quit any time!), and Ron probably considers me a Cub curmudgeon after I was such a Cub purist about his desire for a GNS 750 in the Cub. (Hi Ron! :D )

I'll get tired of flying the Cub eventually and probably pick up another A2A aircraft. I have a couple in mind. I'm a little tired of flying the handful of aircraft I already have which is why I took a break from simming for a few months waiting for the Cub to be released. A2A has brought me back into the fold.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”