Bad approaches - could you do this in reality ?

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Bad approaches - could you do this in reality ?

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,
Because I should use charts etc, often my approaches are too high, too low, too fas etc.

What I do is this

If too high
(a) pitch down to drop altitude being careful of the max speed allowed and of course the angle to ensure you CAN get out of it.
(b) pitch up to get the speed down when at approx correct altitude
(c) crabbing technique

This generally works all the time. I land a little too fast sometimes but it's ok, I pitch up and down goes the speed.
I make it all the time.

Of course this puts strain on the airframe/flaps/if you nose dive you might not be able to pull out of it in time etc
Of course this is not how it should be done

BUT

Could you really do it this way in a real plane ? Yes it depends on the plane so lets just say a Civilian GA not something like a Spitfire that would really do this although not recommended.

Because I do it on accu-sim planes I am wondering "it works with accu-sim which is realistic so hence it would work in real life .... MAYBE"

(1) So, would what I do work ? Dive to get down, pitch up to slow down, crab to drop altitude and repeat.
(2) What other consequences are there bar the airframe / unnecessary stress on the plane and of course ATC/FAA (lets forget those last two for now)

I envisage the answers to be something along the lines of
(a) Yes it would work but would damage the aircraft so only emergencies
(b) No, there is way too much risk to do this on a GA so you would not do it.

Like I said, ignore FAA/ATC rules as it is axiomatic. Just wondering it you can or can't not whether you should or shouldn't :)

Thanks in advance everyone. (Yes I know this is why we have approach charts but I'm just asking) :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Bad approaches - could you do this in reality ?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Styggron.
Normally if way to high a goaround would be the norm , as doing a dive to get down then a climb to bleed of speed , would be bad for airframe stress and any pax due to G force , which the sim does not do a very good modelling of , if there was a way of getting the sim g force acting on your body , you would know what is was like , and avoid it , crabbing or side slip to a degree is a known meathod of loseing hight without increasing speed , but it is limited as to how steep a decent you can do , and is usful in crosswinds.
regards alan. 8)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi Styggron.
Normally if way to high a goaround would be the norm , as doing a dive to get down then a climb to bleed of speed , would be bad for airframe stress and any pax due to G force , which the sim does not do a very good modelling of , if there was a way of getting the sim g force acting on your body , you would know what is was like , and avoid it , crabbing or side slip to a degree is a known meathod of loseing hight without increasing speed , but it is limited as to how steep a decent you can do , and is usful in crosswinds.
regards alan. 8)
Thanks Alan so it is really what I said it would be in my post. massive stress on the airframe and damage to the plane. Of course I forgot about extreme discomfort to the actual pilot and passengers.

So bottom line is, in FSX there is no consequence.
Ie option (b) as I wrote in my post.

Yes you would normally go around but as you know from my channel. I NEVER go around.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Styggron.
Yep i know your policy of no go arounds , the correct solution is proper decent planning , so steep approaches are avoided , but then you would need to change your name in the channel , i know that wont happen , happy flying.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

S turns or descending 360 and then resume final at the correct altitude. The 360 should not be done without first clearing with the tower or making absolutely certain that no one is in the pattern at an uncontrolled field. S turns also need to be fine with caution and the tower must be advised as it can interfere with their flow. Much much better option is to go around of course. :P

Also overstressing the airframe sounds unlikely unless you going to be diving at Vne, Vfe, Vle or Va in rough air.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AmazonChitlin
Airman

Post by AmazonChitlin »

How high above the approach are we talking?

When I've been to high in real life, if it's savable, I'll slip it in. If there are PAX, it's a little uncomfortable for them but not to big a deal.

If I'm way high, then I'll either do a 360 (if able), or go around.

When I was learning to fly tailwheel, it was common practice to keep it really close to the runway and go from downwind right into the final at the runway threshold, slipping for the entire turn until the flare.

Those are in VFR conditions.

If I'm IFR, then I'll break off the approach and try it again. Knock on wood, but I've always been able to keep it within limits on an IFR approach. On final is where it can get tricky if the WX is bad or the plane gets ahead of you!

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

In my opinion there are many badass things we do in the sim successfully that we wouldn’t do in real life. Why? Because in real life we do not take risks for no reason. Even if the risk is one in a hundred, this is still a huge ratio if your life and passenger’s is at play. So unless it’s planned, carefully calculated and it’s been prepared, I don’t think you do that only to correct an altitude mistake just before landing.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”