Why do planes have rudders? (try to guess before clicking)

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Simicro
Senior Airman

Why do planes have rudders? (try to guess before clicking)

Post by Simicro »

Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote:The important thing to understand about the rudder pedals is that they are unnecessary ; like your wisdom teeth, they serve no very good purpose but can cause much trouble.

The airplane needs no rudder pedals. It should have no rudder pedals.

The only purpose of rudder is to cover up the mistakes of the designers.
As some of you know I am in a re-learning the basics phase, and I bought "Stick and rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche. It is said to be a must-read.

My opinion: lots of text laid out as a novel, very few sketches and drawings, so not very appealing and not always easy to read. BUT lots of gems!
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Why do planes have rudders? (try to guess before clickin

Post by DHenriques_ »

Simicro wrote:
Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote:The important thing to understand about the rudder pedals is that they are unnecessary ; like your wisdom teeth, they serve no very good purpose but can cause much trouble.

The airplane needs no rudder pedals. It should have no rudder pedals.

The only purpose of rudder is to cover up the mistakes of the designers.
As some of you know I am in a re-learning the basics phase, and I bought "Stick and rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche. It is said to be a must-read.

My opinion: lots of text laid out as a novel, very few sketches and drawings, so not very appealing and not always easy to read. BUT lots of gems!
The purpose of the rudder on an airplane is quite simple. It's to keep the tail lined up with the nose.

Dudley Henriques

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

This was one of the Langewiesche's theses that didn't quite stand the test of time. Today, all the airplanes that by design can be flown with feet on floor still come with rudder pedals.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote:This was one of the Langewiesche's theses that didn't quite stand the test of time. Today, all the airplanes that by design can be flown with feet on floor still come with rudder pedals.

-Esa
This is especially prevalent in high performance airplanes. In a Mustang for example, rudder is critical as the torque changes are massive as airspeed changes and or angle of attack climbs into the higher range. In fast jets like the T38, you can do aerobatics all day long with your feet flat on the floor.
DH

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”