Commanche: engine damage

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
kranck007
Airman Basic

Commanche: engine damage

Post by kranck007 »

Hello all,

I am a beginner, at least as far as non-simplified GA aircrafts are concerned. In my A2A Commanche I’ve got a problem, and maybe I would get it with other A2A aircrafts too:

Starting the engine, all is ok, but after some minutes the power goes back more and more. The idle power remains the same, but the full power gets lost. As if to move the throttle only to its half, but the Joystick input obviously is ok and the throttle in the virtual cockpit works well. At the end moving the throttle don’t show any reaction.

I can fix this by reset or overhaul the engine but a few minutes late the trouble starts again. Only by option “damage off” I can avoid this effect and fly without problems. So problem solved, but I in fact don’t want the engine to ignore damages, I better want me to avoid damages.

Watching tutorial videos, reading the manual, playing around with mixture or RPM all didn’t help. Maybe I got a helpful advice here.

Thanks and sorry for poor English.

Norbert

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Commanche: engine damage

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Norbert - welcome to the A2A forums.

What you're describing sounds very much like the carburettor icing simulation within Accu-Sim. This is particularly likely if there was some visible precipitation or other simulated moisture in the air (e.g. clouds or fog).

For more info on this phenomenon, please see this article or at least take a look at the chart: Melting Moments: Understanding Carburettor Icing. The article uses quite a nice analogy to make the point that warmer air is able to hold more moisture than cooler air.

The 'fix' for carb icing is to use the carb heat selector on the panel. By default, it can be operated using the 'H' key.

Thanks,
Nick

kranck007
Airman Basic

Post by kranck007 »

Hi Nick,

thanks for you reply. I guess you are right and carburettor can solve the problem. But it needs additional knowledge what time and how long to use carburettor. On my today's flight I watched the engine carefully at any time, but on landing I got some problems with ice. Maybe I will use carburettor anytime, until I understand better.

Regards,
Norbert

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Try reading through this for guidance.

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/files/aopa ... EE2C281F6C
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

The link Nick posted has a rather good chart that shows the probability of carburetor icing. If you want to use carburetor heat as precaution, that is a good starting point. But in the simulator, the carburetor icing is rather easy to spot if you are watchful on your gauges. During calm phases of flight, you may use the heat as remedy when you first spot the effects from the ice.

Note that in A2A Comanche, you can effectively state that rain = carburetor icing, so whenever rain comes down in its liquid form, you can as well pull the heat all-out. :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”