Do you fly with only one hand on the yoke?

Find or share aviation knowledge
UKJim
Senior Airman

Re: Do you fly with only one hand on the yoke?

Post by UKJim »

Like others here,fly left hand on yoke and then throttle etc using right hand. Took a while to get used to sensitive movements using my non-dominant hand, but with practice all good.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Just as an addition to the discussion;

Don't get married to the left hand on the yoke/right hand on the throttle(s) thing as that isn't the main point here. Naturally a plane with a stick will normally have the throttle on the left side so you would be flying right hand on the stick/left on the throttle. Also, in most airplanes you can fly from the right seat as well (Instructors.....etc)
The main point in all this is that during takeoff and landing, in ANY airplane, you ALWAYS have one hand on the yoke/stick and the other hand on the throttle(s).

Just for clarity .
Dudley Henriques

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:28 Just as an addition to the discussion;

Don't get married to the left hand on the yoke/right hand on the throttle(s) thing as that isn't the main point here. Naturally a plane with a stick will normally have the throttle on the left side so you would be flying right hand on the stick/left on the throttle. Also, in most airplanes you can fly from the right seat as well (Instructors.....etc)
The main point in all this is that during takeoff and landing, in ANY airplane, you ALWAYS have one hand on the yoke/stick and the other hand on the throttle(s).

Just for clarity .
Dudley Henriques
That is correct, I like to be as realistic as possible, so depending on the plane I'm flying I choose between yoke or stick, then position the throttle quadrant on whatever side it is in the real plane.

Like some warbirds have the stick and then throttle quadrant on the left.

Jvp89
Airman

Post by Jvp89 »

Doesn't matter if its a left or right hand yoke, only matters the pilot brain, yes can be a change but it takes nothing to adapt.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 03:26 In normal flying lessons any student at our club expected a "talking too" if they were using more than two fingers and a thumb to hold a yoke. If doing steep turns, takeoff or landing, stalls etc, different but any normal flying it was invariably picked up.

Flying the Tigermoth, I was taught palm of hand, thumb and index and fingers, leaving third and little fingers relaxed.
"fingers and toes" was the way I taught, especially in tailwheel airplanes.
Dudley

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

UKJim wrote: 22 May 2023, 13:30
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:28 Just as an addition to the discussion;

Just for clarity .
Dudley Henriques
That is correct, I like to be as realistic as possible, so depending on the plane I'm flying I choose between yoke or stick, then position the throttle quadrant on whatever side it is in the real plane.

Like some warbirds have the stick and then throttle quadrant on the left.
I compromised with my sim setup. Basically I think as you do but since I spent most of my time as a pilot instructing having the throttle on the left side isn't all that strange to me as that covers both the CFI and the Warbirds for me.
The only thing that is somewhat irregular for my setup is my decision to use a centered joystick instead of a yoke. This is fine for warbirds but requires a little imagination when I decide to go fly something like our Comanche.
I think in the end analysis no matter what you do with controllers it takes a little imagination once in a while when it comes down to flight simulation if you enjoy flying a lot of different types of airplanes.
But after all.......that's what it's all about anyway right.......imagination ! :-))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”