What WW2 Plane should I graduate to from the C-172?

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Pmac
Airman Basic

What WW2 Plane should I graduate to from the C-172?

Post by Pmac »

Hey! So if there is a thread already (I tried searching), apologies.

So I know the natural progression from C-172 is to keep with GA for a bit, but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on the best WW2 Aircraft to progress to next if I were to buy a WW2 bird from A2 (P-40, P-51, etc.)

I'd like to start learning advance flying techniques (i.e. approaches at a faster speed, not always relying on autopilot, learning how to monitor/manage manifold pressure).

Any suggestions are appreciated, even if its "Stick with GA first and master this plane ______ first."

Figured it was a good time to expand my self flight lessons with this COVID-19 quarentine!

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: What WW2 Plane should I graduate to from the C-172?

Post by MkIV Hvd »

The logical next step for you would be the T-6! You've done initial training in the 172 and want to ultimately head for the warbird fleet, so the T-6 is the advanced trainer for you. You'll get an increase in weight and speed along with a constant speed prop and retractable gear along with the tailwheel experience needed for the more powerful fighters. You may want to do a bit of a tailwheel transition in the J-3 first just to get used to that mode, but it's not absolutely mandatory...I transitioned directly from a Cherokee Warrior to the Harvard many years ago and that seems to have worked out ok :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

WHICH aircraft? I have to agree wholeheartedly with the Staff Sergeant. T-6, but don't come crying to us if you ground loop it because you're treating it like a C172. RTFM and don't go at it like a bull in a chinashop and you'll end up loving it. :D
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I’m gonna say j3 first. Practice the basics stick and rudder and flying a tail dragger. Master the 3 point and 2 point landings before adding engine management and the rest. Without a solid foundation you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Get the T6, then into one of the prop fighters. The T6 will teach you what you need to know and the prop fighter should teach you the rest. The Spitfire is a wonderful choice or if you want a fighter that can operate both VFR and IFR in civilian airspace I would highly recommend the Civilian P51D.
Dudley Henriques

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

Appreciate the feedback! The T-6 is a great suggestion, not sure why I didn't think of that before. I didn't realize A2A actually had their own T-6, so its a no-brainer at this point to purchase it. I did some reading up on the T-6 and watched some cockpit videos on YouTube, and this is definitely what I was looking for in a new plane to expand my flight knowledge.

Thanks again for the input - y'all steered me in the right direction.

Just downloaded the T-6, so its time to RTFM and start training bootcamp later this week!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Have fun in your T-6, she is a blast to learn and ground loop hehe 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Its not so much if but when you loop during your sim learning

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

T-6. Then the P-40 (while it's still free!). Then the Civ P-51.

Seeya
ATB

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 09:25 Have fun in your T-6, she is a blast to learn and ground loop hehe 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Its not so much if but when you loop during your sim learning

cheers,
Lewis
Lewis, you make it sound so bad, this ground loop thing. People pay good money for the latest carnival rides. Hang on and enjoy the ride. :shock:
Cheers
Trev

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

**Update**

So I logged quite some time in the T-6 through May-August, and then proceeded to the P-40 the last few months. I quickly noticed how many of the habits and skills I acquired in the T-6 translated to quickly adapting to the P-40! Has been a blast site-seeing the U.S. East Coast in both aircraft! I have now purchased the P-51D (military version), and will be starting a tour of the entire U.S.

The T-6 was/is so humbling though. Its amazing how after 12 successful landings with the tail up (non 3-point landing), how the next one I'll just completely goof the 13th landing and ground loop it haha. I did progress skill wise so that ground loops happened farther and farther along in occurrence, but its always hanging over your shoulder waiting to pounce. It was a fun challenge getting to the point where I felt confident I wasn't going to ground loop and make a smooth landing.

The P-40 was a blast, at first I had a hell of a time with that plane at slow speeds making an approach. Once I learned her behavior and got good with her, I actually felt like it was easier landing that than the T-6.

Downloading the P-51 right now, taking her out for this month's adventure!

Thanks again for steering me to the T-6, she's a blast to fly and I love touring detailed cities with her.

Patrick

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Sounds like you are going to need to make room for the Spitty in a short while! 😂

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”