Evaluate Landings

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

Evaluate Landings

Post by lowew79 »

How do you folks evaluate your landings? I use the "replay" function in FSX but it's very hard to gauge descent rate just by looking. The shift +z option show current altitude but not descent rate. I am trying to see what my descent rate is at touchdown in the T-6. That aircraft just feels like it thuds hard on the runway no matter what (at least compared to the A2A C-182).

So it raises the larger question, how do you all evaluate your landings? Is there a software that keeps track of your flight statistics at touchdown? Do you just eye ball it? Having never flown a T-6 in real life I have no idea what a hard or soft landing is, and since gear damage is not modeled by accu-sim (at least not from hard landings, only from actual wrecks) it's hard to get feedback.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Evaluate Landings

Post by DHenriques_ »

lowew79 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 14:59 How do you folks evaluate your landings? I use the "replay" function in FSX but it's very hard to gauge descent rate just by looking. The shift +z option show current altitude but not descent rate. I am trying to see what my descent rate is at touchdown in the T-6. That aircraft just feels like it thuds hard on the runway no matter what (at least compared to the A2A C-182).

So it raises the larger question, how do you all evaluate your landings? Is there a software that keeps track of your flight statistics at touchdown? Do you just eye ball it? Having never flown a T-6 in real life I have no idea what a hard or soft landing is, and since gear damage is not modeled by accu-sim (at least not from hard landings, only from actual wrecks) it's hard to get feedback.
Once into the flare don't worry about quantifying your sink rate. That will vary on each landing due to the exact airspeed (energy) you have to dissipate in the flare. Once in the flare you are hand flying the airplane doing whatever the plane is asking you to do to arrive at touchdown.
Try not to get TOO technical in this area. All that is important is that what you are doing arrives at the right conclusion.
Dudley Henriques

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

Do you sir, or anyone know of a good video that explains how / what a good landing is in this bird? Strangely I'm having no issues once on the ground, no ground loop etc. I just can't tell if I'm hitting the ground to hard. If feel like a much rougher landing compared to the 182, which im used to.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

lowew79 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:59 Do you sir, or anyone know of a good video that explains how / what a good landing is in this bird? Strangely I'm having no issues once on the ground, no ground loop etc. I just can't tell if I'm hitting the ground to hard. If feel like a much rougher landing compared to the 182, which im used to.
I'm fairly sure there are members on the forum who have made videos of landing in the T6. May I suggest you post a heading directly asking about that. I believe you will get answers that way.
Keep in mind there is a huge difference in weight between the 182 and the T6 along with the obvious difference in landing gear configuration. They each require a slightly different technique when landing.
Good luck on your video quest. I'm sure there will be someone who can help you.
You also might try YouTube. Search "A2A AT6 landing". I believe you might get lucky there as well.
Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Another good video, straight from the source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZmEha ... ex=14&t=3s.

Watch this video and others on YouTube. Watch Scott's A2A T-6 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJ6fPJhuZQ.

The most important thing you can do is get out there and fly the airplane. The more you fly it, the better you get.

Seeya
ATB

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

In Scott's video he says he is landing badly on purpose to demonstrate the ground physics. but you are right I need to just practice i guess lol.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”