Discussion on Fuel Tank Switching - Procedures and Safety

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Discussion on Fuel Tank Switching - Procedures and Safety

Post by TreeTops »

In another thread the question was raised why the B377 had a limit of 2 engines taking fuel from the manifold, so it got me thinking. I can't recall a thread combining all the knowledge of real world operations and safety thoughts regarding operating fuel tank selectors. We have a wide variety of A2A planes to fly, from the Cub with its single fuel tank right up to the B377 with 5 tanks feeding 4 engines.
I would like to hear from real pilots about thoughts on operational procedures and safety reasoning for each of the A2A planes we get to fly in our sim. Some planes it's a simple Off/Left/Right setup, the Commanche has 2 tank selectors enabling combinations and others have manifolds enabling fuel to be used from anywhere. Thoughts on tank switching on the ground before takeoff, tank use during the flight, and before landing would be good.
I would hope this thread becomes a collection of gems that can help sim pilots understand what they are doing and why.
Cheers
Trev

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Re: Discussion on Fuel Tank Switching - Procedures and Safety

Post by William Hughes »

I fly a Comanche 250 IRL. I use one tank at a time and there are a number of reasons:
- you can track exactly how much fuel came from which tank more closely,
- uneven suction line or vent pressures could result in very uneven flow from different tanks,
- if one tank goes dry before the other the suction line would rather suck air than fuel, and
- if the tanks are left cross-fed on the ground it can gravity drain, overfill the low tank, and spill out and run everywhere.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”