Cannot completely uninstall cub

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
bcote689
Airman First Class

Cannot completely uninstall cub

Post by bcote689 »

Hi
P3D 4.5, Windows 10
I am trying to do a clean install of all my planes, including the A2A's.
I have unisntalled all A2A planes with my utility (iobit uninstaller). This automatically ran the A2A uninstaller. I then chose the option on iobit uninstaller to clean the residual files.
I have uninstalled accu-feel as well
I went searching everywhere for A2A folders as I re-installed several times over the years. I found some leftovers in my C:\P3D, C:\P3dAddOns, C:\ProgramData, MyDocuments, users/appdata/roaming. I deleted all folders, except one in MyDocuments which I renamed.
For what it is worth, I did a registry clean with iobit Advanced System Care
There is still a leftover of the A2A cub somewhere. When I try to install the cub, i get the following message 'Another version of this product is already installed. Installlation cannot continue. ... Use the Add/Remove programs from control panel'
I used Add/Remove programs from Windows 10, the piper cub installation is not there, which makes sense as I had just uninstalled
I tried installing the C182 and the P40, I get the following message 'This prorgram has deteced that you already have at least on A2A sim add-on installed in the folder below'. The grey box to show this folder is blank (screenshot upon request).
It appears that Accu-feel would reinstall correclty if I went further with the installer. I stopped short of installing to make sure all was cleaned up ok prior.

Any advice where I can find the last part of the A2A Cub which remains hidden somehwere on the computer?

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cannot completely uninstall cub

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi,

Generally we'd generally just recommend installing and uninstalling products in the regular way using the installer. Using third-party software to 'clean' the registry can have unintended consequences.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 0fd54e8b3a

However, we should be able to find the registry entry in question, so I'll get back to you on that one.

In the meantime, before you tried reinstalling the 182 and P-40, did you launch P3D as the installer mentions? This will allow it to refresh the add-ons.cfg files that the sim writes to a couple of folder?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

it sounds like running your extra uninstaller and not running P3D may be the cause here. I wouldn't recommend any extra third party uninstallers as its not something we can provide support on. In this case it sounds like P3D was not run and so P3D itself was not able to re-write the cfg files post uninstallation maybe because this extra third party uninstaller deleted some files that where required to complete uninstall etc.

Check your add-ons.cfg file for P3D to check its got the A2A entries removed. It can be found in the hidden folder within your user folder > APP data for example;

\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ah see Nicks got you sorted too 8)

bcote689
Airman First Class

Post by bcote689 »

Thanks Nick and Lewis for the quick and kind replies. I understand how I went wrong. Please be assurred I will know better for next time. Your advice allowed me to solve the problem.

To answer Nick's question, between the uninstall and the re-install I did not run P3d :(
I did look for the add-ons.cfg. I found two instances of the file in ..\AppData\Roaming.. and in C:\ProgramData\... No signs of any A2A products left there.
After running P3D, I tried installing the cub and got the same error message as last night.
I was succesful however at reinstalling the C182 and the P40 as I had now ran P3d as you indicated. Accus-sim reinstall also worked.
Based on Nick's hint, I was succesful at finding all the entries in the registry for J-3 Cub and dealt with them.
Reinstalling the cub worked after that
I was able to load all the three planes and found the accu-feel module in the menu.

Thanks a million, I appreciate your help.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Brilliant, glad you are up and running and no worries, thanks for coming to the forums and asking. Always here always happy to help in whatever way we can, to get you up and flying in the virtual skies.

thanks,
Lewis

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome bcote689 and thanks for the update. :)

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”