How to migrate J-3 repaints from FSXA to P3Dv4.5hf2

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
CitMusJoe
Airman

How to migrate J-3 repaints from FSXA to P3Dv4.5hf2

Post by CitMusJoe »

Is there anything else important I have to take into account when migrating my J-3 repaints to P3D?

I just copied my texture.xxx folder to the appropriate J-3 path for the paint schemes. Next I edited the aircraft.cfg to be able to select the aircraft later.
Finally in P3D I can only see the whole repainted aircraft in the preview window in black.

All other stock schemes of the J-3 Cub are displayed as expected without any problem.

What else should I check?

Josef
Joe

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How to migrate J-3 repaints from FSXA to P3Dv4.5hf2

Post by Michal - A2A »

The textures are not the same anymore, for PBR repaints you should save your repaint as DXT1 DDS (RGB, 4bpp, without alpha channel) and change the texture name to Piperj3_albedo.dds. Note, that some parts will look different/wrong when using old paintkit as the aicraft mesh was upgraded a lot and uv mapping also changed.

CitMusJoe
Airman

Post by CitMusJoe »

Thanks for that valuable information, Mike! :-)
So I guess it will be better to wait until the new J-3 paintkit gets released instead of fiddling around with old schemes.

Cheers
Last edited by CitMusJoe on 06 Jan 2020, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

CitMusJoe wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 16:59 Thanks for that valuable information, Mike! :-)
So I guess it will be better to wait until the new J-3 paintkit gets released instead of fiddeling around with old schemes.

Cheers
Yes Sir that would be best since there are little changes in part locations and shapes. I tried to go in and change these but it started getting in the way of other parts so I gave up and will wait for new paint kit.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Michal - A2A wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 16:30 The textures are not the same anymore, for PBR repaints you should save your repaint as DXT1 DDS (RGB, 4bpp, without alpha channel) and change the texture name to Piperj3_albedo.dds. Note, that some parts will look different/wrong when using old paintkit as the aicraft mesh was upgraded a lot and uv mapping also changed.
Thanks for that, Mike - much appreciated.

Before I saw this post, I managed to "transmogrify" (!!) a few old repaints by resaving/renaming the old textures, tweaking the brightness & saturation slightly - and removing the alpha channels. I can't see anything that really leaps out to be fixed - but then I may not be looking in the right place. Is anyone able to show me where to look?

Here's one of many (of JK's marvellous liveries) that I'm aiming to help him out with:

I love the new Cub, BTW!!

Adam.
--
Image--Image

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Adam_NZ wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 20:40
Michal - A2A wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 16:30 The textures are not the same anymore, for PBR repaints you should save your repaint as DXT1 DDS (RGB, 4bpp, without alpha channel) and change the texture name to Piperj3_albedo.dds. Note, that some parts will look different/wrong when using old paintkit as the aicraft mesh was upgraded a lot and uv mapping also changed.
Thanks for that, Mike - much appreciated.

Before I saw this post, I managed to "transmogrify" (!!) a few old repaints by resaving/renaming the old textures, tweaking the brightness & saturation slightly - and removing the alpha channels. I can't see anything that really leaps out to be fixed - but then I may not be looking in the right place. Is anyone able to show me where to look?

Here's one of many (of JK's marvellous liveries) that I'm aiming to help him out with:

I love the new Cub, BTW!!

Adam.
Just little things like this which I managed to fix.

Then there are a few other little things that are tougher to fix because they moved or changed shape in the paint like this. Tubing half painted or not painted at all.

ImageImage

I started locating and trying to move pieces here and there but then they got in the way of other items and I gave up. I'll wait on the paint kit and hope I can copy and paste a lot of it.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Great - many thanks for posting those!! In that last shot, are you saying that the glass texture is wrong? Just the front windshield or all round?

Thanks!

Adam.

EDIT: I see the glass problem now. Hmmm ... I need to check this out. The other things are relatively minor, but the glass does look quite wrong.
--
Image--Image

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Adam_NZ wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 22:16 Great - many thanks for posting those!! In that last shot, are you saying that the glass texture is wrong? Just the front windshield or all round?

Thanks!

Adam.
No its the tubing that looks like a black and white candy cane. That's one item that has changed shape I believe. Can't remember if it went from straight to bent or the other way around. This is one I tried to take from P3D paint and move to mine but it got in the way of other items.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

OK - I officially give up LOL! Just too many little niggles to sort out, I think. I'll just wait until the paint kit comes out!
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

curtis72561 wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 22:01 Then there are a few other little things that are tougher to fix because they moved or changed shape in the paint like this. Tubing half painted or not painted at all.

Yeah. Those ribs are now a 3D object so there is no need to paint them on any more. Perhaps the cockpit will be included in the new set.

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”