screen flickering

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mike4370
Senior Airman

screen flickering

Post by mike4370 »

Hi, I've noticed when flying the cub in rainy weather (either from active sky or "grey and rainy" weather form within P3D) there is really bad screen flickering. Im using P3D 4.5 with windows 10

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: screen flickering

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mike,

It sounds like the windshield rain effects aren't being rendered properly on your system for some reason, perhaps because of altered shaders or a conflict with other software.

If you wish to disable the rain effects, you can delete the "Windshield.ini" file in "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\SimObject\Airplanes\A2A_PiperJ3" folder.

Please also see the info in this topic for further suggestion to address the issue. These including enabling v-sync and triple buffering in the P3D graphics settings.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I had screen flickering terrible after an update close to a year ago. I flew with Unlimited FPS. V-Sync helped but killed my performance and caused micro-stutters. Triple buffering helps a bit but caused performance issues. I ended up reducing my frame rate to 120 and the flickering has not returned. I tried other, lower, settings but the flickering only changed intensity. 120 seemed the magic number. This is on a 144Hz 1ms 2K monitor.

Good luck Sir
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

Hi Nick, I read the topic you pointed me to and tried all of those suggestions and nothing helped. About vsnyc and triple buffering, I've always had those options checked. I deleted the windshield.ini file for the cub and that worked. I also noticed that the flickering seems to happen when I use the middle mouse button to look around using chaseplane. I've done some testing, and I can now say it only happens with A2A aircraft and only when I use the middle mouse button to look around the VC. If i use assigned buttons to look around, I dont get any flickering. I also dont get any flickering in any other aircraft regardless if I use the mouse or buttons to look around.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Mike.

I currently don't have ChasePlane installed, but sounds like there may be a conflict between this specific method of panning in ChasePlane and the dynamic windshield rain effect.

We'll keep an eye out for further reports of similar issue, but it may also be worth checking the ChasePlane forums to see if the developer has any suggestions.

It's also possible a third variable could be involved in your case. Do you have any shader mods etc. installed?

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

Ok, I'll check chaseplane forums. I don't think I have any third party shaders installed.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”