J3 Visual Issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Madison
Airman Basic

J3 Visual Issue

Post by Madison »

I bought the J3 for P3Dv4 the other day. I downloaded it and read the instructions before installation. One thing I noted is that the instructions refer to there being both a 32 and 64-bit installer which there is only one installer with no depiction of bit count. I was running a previous version of P3Dv4. I don't have any visual augmentation addons installed. After using the provided installer I started up P3D and the visual model of the aircraft is missing. In other words, I can't see the airplane but I can still hear it running and access all the normal A2A menus in the sim. Looking at previous user's issues here in the forum I uninstalled and reinstalled each component as directed to update to v4.5. After each new install, I uninstalled the airplane then reinstalled it with the same issue present. This still didn't work so I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of P3Dv4.5. Still the same problem. Seeing from other forum posts the issue most likely has to do with a PBR/Shaders issue I deleted the shaders folder content in order for it to reset. The problem is still there.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: J3 Visual Issue

Post by bladerunner900 »

There has never been a 32 bit installer for P3D, only for FSX. I did in fact, have the FSX Cub working in earlier versions of P3D but it never fully worked in v4.

As to your problem, I have no idea. I have been upgrading P3D v4 from the start. Using either the client or content parts only. I have the new 64 bit Cub. Various add-ons like PTA Tweak Assistant for shaders etc. and so far, the only invisible aircraft have been some older FSX models. The Shockwave Zero being one. Now that would be a nice addition. :)

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Madison and thanks for posting the additional info.

As Steve says, in the case of the J-3 the only 32-bit installer is the one for FSX, so the installer you're using is correct.

As to why the Cub isn't visible, this is rather strange if you've done a complete clean reinstallation of P3Dv4 to the latest version. However, depending on your update method, it's possible that there are still some leftovers from previous P3Dv4 subversions. To make sure these are deleted, I recommend you use the "delete generated files" option in P3D. More info on this can be found here.

If this doesn't help, please can you let us know your install location for the J-3 and list any other third-party utilities which are running. It seems that various software such as FlyInside can affect P3D shaders.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Madison
Airman Basic

Post by Madison »

Thanks for the info Nick. I did another deep dive into the sim folder and took a look around. Everything looked fine so I checked again to see if for whatever reason the update didn't work and found that was the case. I have no idea why my initial update or even full install didn't update to 4.5 but that's what happened. I am now finally totally in v4.5 and the cub is working great.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear you got the update issues resolved. Might be worth posting on the P3D forums, seems to be a bit of a common issue with P3D not correctly updating causing issues as more and more devs release the PBR updates/products not supported by the older versions.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Madison - good to hear you're in business and hope you enjoy the Cub.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”