Soundsfile

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
degeus
Airman First Class

Soundsfile

Post by degeus »

Hello,
For specific reasons I installed this P3D V4.5 version in my default Airplanes-folder (bought it today JFL8033399E7001F69C). No problem, the aircraft work well. However, within Simobject\Airplanes folder there is also a new folder A2A\A2A\PiperJ3\Sounds, containing the wav-files.
Where do I put this Sounds-folder in order to have the aircaft having acces to these sounds?
Hoping for a solution
with kind regards,
Piet de Geus, Netherlands
[email protected]
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Soundsfile

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

if you installed using the installer, no movement is needed of any files. They will install where needed for correct use. The A2A folder in the root etc.

Though recommended against by Lockheed and A2A, to install into P3D itself you would select your root P3D folder. If you selected your simobjects folder then you might want to uninstall, restart your system and then reinstall to the root. For best results though you want to install external of the P3D folder otherwise P3D updates can require reinstalls of everything and not just P3D or parts there of.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

degeus
Airman First Class

Post by degeus »

Hello Lewis,
The aircraft itself is in the Airplanes-folder (5 individual folders, one for each type of aircraft and Share). As a result of the installer I also have that Sound in that A2A/A2A/PiperJ3\Sounds folder, which is also in the root of Prepar3d.
I just want to make sure I can hear those sounds, notwithstanding the typical naming. Can the model of airfile or aircfarf.cfg find that folder or how do I have to call theat folder otherwise?
This is maybe of any additional help. Please just name the folder I have to make in this situation to house the sounds.
Thanks in advance,
Piet

P.S. For protecting my collection of aircraft, I rename the Simobjects folder just before each new installation or update. Simple but effective.
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

the location is correct so no need to do anything.

Also just worth mentioning that the renaming of that folder wont always protect against updates as thats not the folder where the updates will work to to break things and many aircraft work outside of that folder to other parts of your system.

thanks,
Lewis

degeus
Airman First Class

Post by degeus »

Lewis,
'Then I'l use it on that spot. Can you give a clue wich specific sound can I hear best to test if it works?
In the former FS9/FSXversion I had a texture of the Dutch Airforce. Is there a way to convert that?
With kind regards,
Piet
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Piet,

If you can hear internal sounds in the Cub (engine, switches, Heidi's voice) then sounds in this folder are being played correctly.

To echo Lew's comments, it's not a very good idea to install within the Prepar3D directory structure. Also, remember that if you manually rename any folders, these changes won't be reflected in the Windows Registry so updates and uninstallations of products are likely to fail.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

degeus
Airman First Class

Post by degeus »

Nick,
I can hear engine sounds, but I think only the regular ones that are defined in the Sound-folder. I do not hear Heide (sitting in front seat).
In which folder shoud Sounds reside? Is it in P3d\Simobjects\A2A\PiperJ3 or in P3D\A2A\PiperJ3? Or still somewhre else.

Another reason for me to have my aircarft in the P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes is that I have a enormous collection of aircraft, well over 200. They all are in a separate Hangar-folder and only the active ones that I fly most are in the Airplanes folder. When needed, I just move one out of the Hangar into Airplanes. For my additiona Sceneries I am indeed using the addon.xml technique. In my opinion it is also a disadvantage for me to have all my add-on aircraft in the xml wayb as each individual aircraft needs an entry, not just only for the type (e.g. Piper Cub J3). That would cause an enormous mainenancejob in my situation and I never had any problems with updates so far.

So, Hoping for a clear defintion of the location for Sounds,
with kind regards,
Piet de Geus
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Piet,

By default the "silent" Heidi is loaded so if you can't hear her, this may be the reason why. To reiterate, if you can hear engine sounds and the click of switches from within the cockpit, the add-on is finding the sound files it needs.

However, the default installation for this sound folder is "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\A2A\PiperJ3\Sounds". If you pointed your installer at the "Airplanes" folder, the sounds will be in "Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A\A2A\PiperJ3\Sounds".

Just to clarify, no extra maintenance is necessary from installing add-ons in the correct way, and in fact using this method, it's pretty easy to enable or disable them at will using the P3D add-ons menu.

Best regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Piet,

just to chip in too, everything you are doing is a native feature in P3D. There is no need to install inside the folder anymore. You install to where you wish outside the main P3D folder and enable/disable add-ons within the P3D GUI. As it stands right now you are making more work and certainly taking many many more steps than is needed to achieve the same thing.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”