Rudder animation problem (P3Dv4.5)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
TymK
Staff Sergeant

Rudder animation problem (P3Dv4.5)

Post by TymK »

Hi,

I've just noticed that in my installation, the rudder is not animated in the external view. The only thing that moves are the tailwheel linkages, and they "swing about" instead of staying attached to the tailwheel assembly. The fact that nobody has reported that might suggest a local issue with my install, but if someone could check this, I'd be grateful... :wink:

Regards,
Tym

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Rudder animation problem (P3Dv4.5)

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Tym,

Rudder animation should be working fine. Can you give us a little more info about your hardware and any third-party utilities which you may be using to assign it?

Also, do you have "autorudder" enabled in the P3D realism settings?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the late response, I saw your post but was unable to fire up the sim to verify...

I was actually testing some visual stuff without having my controllers attached when I noticed that, using keyboard commands only (bad idea, I know... :wink:). When a 'normal' axis is used, the rudder animation works as it should, but there's still a problem with the tailwheel. The linkages do move, but the wheel itself stays centered. I've made sure autorudder is off and tailwheel lock is disabled. This is with an axis assigned directly in the sim, I've taken FSUIPC out of the equation for testing.

This only seems to affect the animation, the plane behaves as it should, so that's a low priority thing, but since you're working on some hotfixes, I thought I'd let you know.

Cheers,
Tym

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi again,

I've tested some more and I think there actually is an issue with the tailwheel. As long as there's enough propeller slipstream, you can turn the plane on the ground, but otherwise, the wheel appears to behave like a free-castoring design (even if the animation doesn't necessarilly follow). I've had a look at some of the Cub/P3Dv4 videos on Youtube, and it looks it's not just my install that behaves like that.

Tym

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Tym - we'll review the tailwheel steering setup.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Thanks Nick, let me know if you need any further input or external testing ;-)

Cheers,
Tym

AhunterG
Airman

Post by AhunterG »

I have to agree with this! I am experiencing the same problem also. Rudder does not animate, only the linkages.

Apart from this, it is so nice to finally fly the cub... Never got a chance in FSX!

Andrew

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

My rudder animates fine, as I usually test my controls during the run-up. I use rudder pedals. If the rudder itself doesn't move when using the keyboard, make sure you're using the correct key commands. Check your settings to make sure, but I seem to remember numpad insert and enter.

The tailwheel acts a bit odd sometimes. It is a free castoring tailwheel. It looks like the linkages will animate on the ground but the tailwheel does not turn, which is expected with the free castoring tailwheel.

I applied a STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) to install a steerable tailwheel on my cub (in other words I edited the aircraft.cfg file :) ) and by changing the 180 degrees (indicating the free castoring wheel) to 5 the Cub is a lot more docile on the ground while still needing to use a bit of down elevator and prop wash and differential braking to turn the plane more than a small amount. I tried values higher than 5 but didn't like the effect. The 5 degrees maintains the feel of the Cub in the taxi while removing the "tailwheel locked in a turn" behavior which may be realistic for all I know.

Be sure to make backups of any files you change.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”