how to fly level altitude in the plane

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
ironmanthe3000
Airman

how to fly level altitude in the plane

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

Yes i have very good hours in a2a j3 cub accusim, like more than 7000 but the thing is its all visual for level altitude and no VSI and sometimes due to gusty wind or turbulent air i ve always like never managed to keep level flight im either 50ft climbing or 60 ft descending flying.
Bird flies like butter man. no problem with accusim.

in p51d cvl i can use autopilot, in spitfire i can use vsi, but in cub i use horizon with wing tips and cowling and altimeter to level the plane as references.

quick question guys can we add landing light in cub i would like to fly in night but as it is a vfr so almost never flown in night but still in dawn or dusk i like having light any way to it ?

i need some tips for trimming thanks ..... :a2a: :a2a:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: how to fly level altitude in the plane

Post by Scott - A2A »

Well the Cub is a different world completely to most GA's (172, Comanche, Bonanza, etc.) and light years from a Warbird. The J3 is all about low altitude and flying by the seat. Whether you are flying at 1000, 1200, 1400 agl etc is sort of irrelevant in a Cub. The only time in a Cub I ever even bother looking at the altimeter is when having to stay under (or over) some airspace. A landing light is in that "other world" as cubs typically don't even have a battery. And most don't even have position lights installed.

The radio is usually a hand held, if any. Some do mount some things in an effort to make things easier, but that is not what the Cub is really.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

[/size][/size]
Scott - A2A wrote: 09 May 2020, 08:57 Well the Cub is a different world completely to most GA's (172, Comanche, Bonanza, etc.) and light years from a Warbird. The J3 is all about low altitude and flying by the seat. Whether you are flying at 1000, 1200, 1400 agl etc is sort of irrelevant in a Cub. The only time in a Cub I ever even bother looking at the altimeter is when having to stay under (or over) some airspace. A landing light is in that "other world" as cubs typically don't even have a battery. And most don't even have position lights installed.

The radio is usually a hand held, if any. Some do mount some things in an effort to make things easier, but that is not what the Cub is really.

Scott
yeah thanks sir, i thought i was doing it wrong i barely use altimeter for reference now its all visual.
yeah and lights you are absolutely right,
yeah its real fun to fly vanilla cub rather than autopilot, and this bird taught me to fly the plane by visually and not completely depend on only instruments, cub is true flying thats why even after 6 years i still fly it- and the most important stuff is it is possible bcoz of your hard work

thanks i thought i was doing wrong in maintaining leveled flight but now you have put me right track thanks. :fsx: :a2a:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The Cub is about as basic as it gets with flying. It can be flown at night but not legally as it has no electrical system.
Back in the old days when I was a young pilot I did fly a J3 at night out of a small grass field. We hooked up a small miner's lantern on a helmet with a red lens and I used that for my instruments. It was great fun I might add.
Unfortunately you can't replicate that in the sim.
Dudley Henriques

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 09 May 2020, 11:39 The Cub is about as basic as it gets with flying. It can be flown at night but not legally as it has no electrical system.
Back in the old days when I was a young pilot I did fly a J3 at night out of a small grass field. We hooked up a small miner's lantern on a helmet with a red lens and I used that for my instruments. It was great fun I might add.
Dudley Henriques

Oh my goodness thanks for sharing your experience sir,.....
Much appreciated.
I'm waiting for a2a accusim aerostar n I'm going to buy it as soon as it releases.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ironmanthe3000 wrote: 09 May 2020, 14:48
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 09 May 2020, 11:39 The Cub is about as basic as it gets with flying. It can be flown at night but not legally as it has no electrical system.
Dudley Henriques

Oh my goodness thanks for sharing your experience sir,.....
Much appreciated.
I'm waiting for a2a accusim aerostar n I'm going to buy it as soon as it releases.
You will LOVE the Aerostar. It will be modeled from Scott's personal airplane and knowing Scott as well as I do both he and our entire team will make this plane a signature work and the finest plane we have ever produced.
Glad you are enjoying our A2A products.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”