FSX:SE J-3 Edition - Floats Version Immediately Rolls Over.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
kronovan
Airman Basic

FSX:SE J-3 Edition - Floats Version Immediately Rolls Over.

Post by kronovan »

Hello all, my 1st time posting here.

I recently bought the FSX edition of the J-3 in the Steam sale. So far I've had terrific experiences bush piloting the wheeled and tundra versions in the Pacific Northwest. However, I'm unable to get the floats edition to be stable on water and within about 20 seconds of loading a new flight it tilts drastically and flips over. I own many floatplanes and amphibs and this is the 1st aircraft I've owned that exhibited this behavior, so I'm a bit perplexed. After doing some googling, I came upon some threads in these forums where others mentioned the same problem and it seemed like it was resolved in a patch. Unfortunately the accumulated patch on this website can't find and update the Steam edition of the J-3. I'm aware DLC aircraft like this purchased via Steam are supposed to be up to date, but unfortunately experience has taught me that that isn't necessarily always the case.

This could very well be something I'm doing incorrectly, but after reading the manuals I'm not sure what? I start all my flights cold & dead and have a default-saved fight that consists of C&D configured Cessna 172 at an airfield close to sea level. I don't know if that's an issue with this J-3, but I've found I need such a default C&D setup in order to successfully start the MilViz Otter from a C&D start.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on how to get the J-3 floatplane more stable and prevent it from flipping, I'd appreciate reading about them.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: FSX:SE J-3 Edition - Floats Version Immediately Rolls Over.

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello kronovan and welcome.

As you say, the Steam version of the Cub contains the latest updates so you should be all good to go there.

I don't recall any recent mention of this issue so it's probably best if we start with the basics. Firstly, what's the surface windspeed in your default scenario and are you using the default weather engine or a weather add-on such as ActiveSky?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

This doesn't sound like an A2A problem.

Have you tried verifying file integrity on FSX:SE? It is possible that one of your other add-ons has changed a file that the A2A Cub needs to work correctly on floats.

If this were me I'd strip FSX:SE back to the basic program, install the Cub and test it. If you have a weather add-on, add it next. Keep adding things until the Cub breaks or you've got everything re-installed. This is kind of a last resort, so let Nick guide you through a proper diagnosis.

Hook

kronovan
Airman Basic

Post by kronovan »

Many thanks for the replies.

This must have been a situational thing, because today I'm able to do C&D take-offs in the float plane without any stability issues. I have Active Sky Next and Accu-feel, but my 1st time in the J-3 Cub's cockpit I disabled Accu-feel - this being an A2A aircraft and all. The area I was attempting to take off from was Alliford Seaplane Base (CBE7) and Queen Charlotte City Seaplane (CAQ6) in the QC Isles. I have Orbx Pacific Fjords scenery for that area and I have Tongass X and a full install of the RTMM (Return To Misty Moorings) object & scenery libraries. The weather ASN was generating when I was flipping over was quite mild and winds were in the single digits. I was able to take-off in my Republic Seabee with the same weather conditions. Whether ASN was the culprit for the flipping - I wouldn't really know?

Since being able to successfully take off, I've noticed some geographic abnormalities in that scenery area, like a cirque lake where the bottom is actually above the water surface (tried to land on it but got a crash about 10' above the surface) and many floating trees. It leads me to believe that my tipping over experience might have been related to problems with the ORBX Pac Fjords scenery for the area. I also did some take-offs from Ketchican Harbor (5KE) without any issues. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the prop turning start of the Cub, which I've gotten down to usually being able to do with just one turn. Once I'm in the air, the plane is very much performing as I expected and hoped for.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks. Glad it worked out.

Hook

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update kronovan - good to hear you seem to have sorted the issue. I wonder if it could be a glitch in terrain mesh or something, if it wasn't caused by wind.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”