Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
robjahnke
Airman

Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX

Post by robjahnke »

Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX?

I just bought the A2A Cub for FSX. The simulation is very nice, but the tailwheel is retracted into the rudder on the Yellow J3?
How can this be fixed?

Thanks, Rob

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob and welcome.

Please can you check that "advanced animations" are enabled in the FSX settings. If not, this should fix the issue. If you check page 22 of the manual, it should show exactly where to find this setting in the "graphics" section.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Thanks Nick. READ THE MANUAL .... a very good idea. I looked at the other settings as well and the sim now works much better. Awesome J3 .... flies exactly like my real 1946 Cub. The A2A J3 is a great training aid.
Rob

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Rob and thanks for the kind words! Great to hear you're enjoying the Accu-Sim J-3 and that it's a good match for your own example. :)

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Everything was working great. Now the cub will start on the ramp, won't take throttle, then quits. Starts by itself, then quits. Starts by itself, then quits. After the third self start, the engine stays off until I initiate a new start sequence. What is causing this strange behavior?
Thanks, Rob

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

did you check if automixture is off/unchecked in FSX(thats also in the manual :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Automixture is OFF. Unlimited fuel is ON. Engine stress damages engine is OFF. Ignore or Detect crashes and damage ON or OFF does not make a difference. No Failures are set. Other aircraft work fine, but not the Cub.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob,

How much fuel is in the tank? Bear in mind the "unlimited fuel" option in FSX isn't compatible with Accu-Sim, so even if you have this option selected, you'll need to make sure you don't run out of fuel.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Fuel is full (12 gal). Oil is full (4qts)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Rob. Can I just check which aircraft loads with your default flight in FSX? Sometimes saving the default flight with an add-on aircraft which uses external coding can cause unexpected issues.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Flight Design CTSW. The Engine works fine on the CTSW, but when I load the Cub, the engine exhibits this strange behavior. The thing it, is was working fine on the Cub until it didn't.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

I save a C172 as the default when I open FSX. No difference.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Rob. The fact you say it was working fine until it didn't makes me wonder if something about the way you're loading the aircraft has changed. For exampling, are you loading from a saved flight or anything?

The other thing you should do if you haven't already (I should have mentioned this before) is install the latest Accu-Sim update from here. Note that you can ignore this if you've installed the version of the Cub from Steam.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

I downloaded and installed the J3 from my purchase on your website. So I installed the Accu-Sim update as you suggested. It updated my Chrerokee 180 and my Piper J3 (from 1.0 to 1.11) . Now when I load the J3, not only does the engine exhibit the same start/stop behavior, but the instrument panel and outside view are no longer rendered .. Ugh!

The problem occurs whether or not I load from a saved flight or start fresh and load the Cub when FSX comes up.

Sorry, we need a better idea :|

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If there are issues with how the aircraft is rendering in FSX Rob, it suggests a problem with your installation or how the aircraft is being loaded. So that we can get a better idea of what's going on, please can you let us know exactly which edition of FSX it is you're using. i.e. standard or deluxe disk edition, FSX Acceleration or the Steam version?

In any case, I'd recommend that you completely reset FSX to its default settings. The easiest way to do this is to rename the fsx.cfg file in "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" so that the sim generates a fresh copy. This will also reset your flight to the original default which is ideal for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”