Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Tail Wheel Retracted on J3 FSX

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Rob. The update shouldn't cause any problems for the Cherokee: it's been downloaded and used by tens of thousands of customers. Just bear in mind that if you don't run it, you won't benefit from the more recent features and bug fixes added to the aircraft.

As regards the J-3 panel, I believe the simulated version was based on the real life aircraft used in testing and development. I'm afraid the layout can't be swapped around in the sim.

Regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

That's interesting Nick. I would like to see a photo of the actual panel in the J3 that was used in the development of the A2A J3.

This is what an original J3 panel should look like:
https://foxbatpilot.files.wordpress.com ... -panel.jpg

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the Oil Press/Temp gauge would have been moved to the Airspeed position because the Oil Press/Temp gauge is 3 1/2 inches in diameter while the Airspeed is 3 1/8 inches in diameter. To move the Oil Press/Temp gauge you would need to fabricate a new panel with new holes to fit the instrument sizes , not just simply move the gauges from one hole to another. I have flown a J3 for 55 yrs and have seen many many J3 panels. Some have been modified of course, but I have never seen the original Oil Press/Temp gauge moved (because it is a larger diameter instrument and would not fit anyplace else in the panel without fabricating a new panel). Also, the routing for the Oil Press/Temp probe would have to be modified with a new hole in the firewall to move the Oil Press/Temp gauge to the Airspeed location.

The A2A J3 has the Oil Press/Temp gauge where the Airspeed is on the original Cub, and the Airspeed is where the Oil Press/Temp gauge is on the original Cub. The exact sizes and appearances of the gauges on the A2A J3 panel are not particularly important, but the LOCATION of the gauges is VERY important for training purposes because your eyes expect the Airspeed (particularly important) to be in the same place on the simulator panel as it is in the real airplane.

The A2A J3 is an outstanding rendition of the real J3. It's a shame that the instrument panel is not modeled correctly. I know that is something that can easily be changed by the developers, but not the user. I would love it if you would forward this info to the developers for consideration.

Thanks, Rob

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

This is an exception, but...
I'm looking at an article titled "Sigma Blog: Photographing An Aviation Legend" that includes a closeup of Piper Cub instruments. It appears to show altimeter, then fuel pressure/oil pressure, then air speed on this particular aircraft.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.sigma ... egend/amp/
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Yup .... Sure does. If you look closely, the panel seems to be hand made (look at the edges of the instrument holes) so any arrangement is possible for a replacement panel. I'd like to see an actual photo of the panel of the J3 used as a "model" for the A2A J3. It's certainly possible that the particular panel on that aircraft was arranged was we see in the simulator, but that would not be what would be considered an "Original" or historically "Correct" panel. Thanks, Rob

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

When we Accu-Sim an airplane, we choose a specific airplane in existence. In this case the one donated to the New England Air Museum by George J Toper in 2002.
https://neam.org/shell.php?page=aircraf ... me=piperj3

Here's a requested pict of his panel:
neam_j3.jpg
neam_j3.jpg (279.94 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
The Cub we test flew along with the one we owned and operated all had a different layout to all mentioned ones referenced in this thread as well. The J3 is one of the most modified and varied aircraft in history.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

robjahnke
Airman

Post by robjahnke »

Thank you Scott. That explains the instrument panel for the A2A J3 :P . I appreciate your attention to the detail of a specific example of a J3. The result is a fantastically realistic J3 simulation. Thanks for the picture and thanks for the response. Rob

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”