Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Accusim & the single Spitfire...Simulator Cockpit

Post by Norforce »

Neat finish mate.
What a great feeling to fly the sim so real you felt that you where in a real Spitfire (It can make u feel sick flying in PNG. Note to each other Don't Drink and Fly lol)
Like the finishes mate, the power switch, good move after our little repairs that slightly went south and love that you finished the primmer and canopy as well.
As all ways top notch work

P.S. Working on the return
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Cheers mate, looking forward to seeing you!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

More progress towards a final alteration of the Spitfire....The Spit I Undercarriage hand pump.

The basic frame, built some time ago and put aside for more urgent things (read "life")

I picked up an old hydraulic hand pump a couple of years ago and have been thinking on the best way to use it ever since..
Finally, the prospect of pulling it apart to scavenge parts and then building a mount strong enough to actually pump the action, got to be too much. So instead I spent some time designing a way to actually use the pump body within the shell.

The pump mounted into the framework, a bit of internal cutting had to be done to the brace and also there will be some trouble fitting a limit switch in the back to actuate the pump switch for the sim to recognise. But no great drama.
I have a couple of place holders for the second cylinder frame/axel as the pump was only single cylinder. The top cylinder will be built and house the switch.

The plate on the side will be the curved top piece which guides the valve/cock lever.

Hopefully I can get that engraved later today.

The handle for the valve is quite complicated to build as it has a central spring loaded locking pin that fits into the holes in the guide at each gear position. That will be a lathe and milling machine job this weekend but I have a good start on the actual plan. You lift the black knob to release the pin and then move the lever. When it is at the other end, you let go of the handle and the pin springs into the locking hole...It should be a fun build!

It will be good to get it done and be able to stop using the Drop Tank Release handle to pump the undercarriage in the Spitfire I.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

And a small update, the top guide engraved but not yet bent to curve.

Now I just need to bend it to fit the curve and round off the rear end. Next up is the lifting handle mechanism for the locking pin..but that will need to wait until Saturday.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Damn that's so cool. Good to see the pit and you back in action Killratio :)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Cheers Lewis,

It is a REAL blast to fly now. I can't wait to retrofit the U/C manual pump and "Bicycle Pump" type Airscrew control.
(before Beta Testing takes over my life again ;) )

Darryl

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote:Before being dragged back into reality, I've spent a few days over the last week almost finishing the Spitfire. A few, "I'll get to it one day" type jobs.

So here it is, the second to last "final" additions post :) (The last being the now reconsidered, reconsidering of the thought of potentially thinking about finishing off by putting in a Spit I pump undercarriage and cockpit sidewall airscrew control).

The first job was to install the long overdue isolation switch for the door/canopy. So now if the cockpit door is not fully closed, the canopy will not close...this is because "half lock" on the real aircraft stops the canopy coming forward as the guide rail slots into the top of the door and is misaligned until fully closed.

It works by the claw on the door lock slotting in and hitting a limit switch. The cover is to protect me as I use my internet computer from hitting the sharp edges of the frame! I machined a cover base with protruding edge that an old cup cover, I had, would fit onto.

Next was to install a very solid 5 inch Ground/Flight power switch that I bought after the sim was going to be a Mk IX, while it was slated as a Mk V and before it got redesigned as a Spit I / II (yeah, I get confused too).... The power switch finally allowed me to isolate the 12 volt AT Power supply source for the gauges steppers, backlights and downlights and indicator lights from the mains.

It is mounted low and near the seat back on the starboard side of the cockpit.

And a quick shot of the stainless steel and Brass Spitfire I type cockpit plackards engraved for me by Chris. The limitations plate is a real "new old stock" and so joins the list of real parts in the sim.

And speaking of real parts...the Kygas Primer has been a nice prop for a long while now but was non-functioning (the "Boost Coil" button served as primer. Well, with the help of a magnet and a magnetic switch, the actual Primer is now used for the job, the piston having a magnet screwed into the a rubber seal and a "break to make" magnetic switch is slotted into the end of the chamber triggering the action on openning..the time delay works perfectly with the action in the sim. (which is why I chose break to make instead of the other way around). Maybe some video to show the action soon.

Last but not least, the new lighting...the Spitfire lighting was terrible but out in the sun, it doesn't matter, the cockpit is quite bright...but in a room it is hard to see anything down inside. A set of downlights has cured that and is a good compromise...so now in a darkened room, it looks like this:

I'm just sorry all of this couldn't get done before Norforce visited...COME BACK RON!!! :) :)

Beautiful!!! I always knew you could finish this before your wife told you there was no room for it in the house.
:-))))
Dudley

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote:Before being dragged back into reality, I've spent a few days over the last week almost finishing the Spitfire. A few, "I'll get to it one day" type jobs.

So here it is, the second to last "final" additions post :) (The last being the now reconsidered, reconsidering of the thought of potentially thinking about finishing off by putting in a Spit I pump undercarriage and cockpit sidewall airscrew control).

The first job was to install the long overdue isolation switch for the door/canopy. So now if the cockpit door is not fully closed, the canopy will not close...this is because "half lock" on the real aircraft stops the canopy coming forward as the guide rail slots into the top of the door and is misaligned until fully closed.

It works by the claw on the door lock slotting in and hitting a limit switch. The cover is to protect me as I use my internet computer from hitting the sharp edges of the frame! I machined a cover base with protruding edge that an old cup cover, I had, would fit onto.

Next was to install a very solid 5 inch Ground/Flight power switch that I bought after the sim was going to be a Mk IX, while it was slated as a Mk V and before it got redesigned as a Spit I / II (yeah, I get confused too).... The power switch finally allowed me to isolate the 12 volt AT Power supply source for the gauges steppers, backlights and downlights and indicator lights from the mains.

It is mounted low and near the seat back on the starboard side of the cockpit.

And a quick shot of the stainless steel and Brass Spitfire I type cockpit plackards engraved for me by Chris. The limitations plate is a real "new old stock" and so joins the list of real parts in the sim.

And speaking of real parts...the Kygas Primer has been a nice prop for a long while now but was non-functioning (the "Boost Coil" button served as primer. Well, with the help of a magnet and a magnetic switch, the actual Primer is now used for the job, the piston having a magnet screwed into the a rubber seal and a "break to make" magnetic switch is slotted into the end of the chamber triggering the action on openning..the time delay works perfectly with the action in the sim. (which is why I chose break to make instead of the other way around). Maybe some video to show the action soon.

Last but not least, the new lighting...the Spitfire lighting was terrible but out in the sun, it doesn't matter, the cockpit is quite bright...but in a room it is hard to see anything down inside. A set of downlights has cured that and is a good compromise...so now in a darkened room, it looks like this:

I'm just sorry all of this couldn't get done before Norforce visited...COME BACK RON!!! :) :)

Beautiful!!! I always knew you could finish this before your wife told you there was no room for it in the house.
:-))))
Dudley

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Cheers Dudley!

The wife is quite tolerant :)

D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Well, a frustrating and very long weekend which saw me get done about half what I wanted to.
But at least it is now starting to look very much like a Spitifire I pump.

This weekend I managed to make the front plate, make the back support for the valve guide plate, make the valve handle frame (but not the lift handle itself), bend the valve handle guide plate to fit the curve of the handle frame travel and adjust the height to accomodate the holding pin when that is made with the rest of the handle, adjust some of the internals to better fit in the switching mechanism and sort out final measurements for the main pump handle, which I am hoping to get pipe bent for this week.

So whilst there is a lot still to do, I've actually broken the back of it, I think.

It is just frustrating that I now have a week and a weekend where I won't be able to do much at all on it!

Next will be the "down circuit" switch frame at the rear of the pump body (which will actually work the down selection in the Sim) and the engaging arm that comes off the valve handle frame to actuate that switch.

From there, we'll just have to see what time I have available. With any luck next week will be a week's holiday but that depends on how much work I get done in the office this week.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

A quick holiday and a chance to get some more done. Starting to come together and look like a Spitfire pump.

The lift to disengage mechanism for the Valve Handle. A custom machined main pin, knob adaptor and "bullet nosed" stop pin, all needing either tapping or cutting a thread, four rivets and 4 bolts, two springs and a large washer. The body of the handle is drilled with four different widths/depths to make the knob liftable and lockable. Still some cleaning up of lathe marks etc to do.

The handle frame will be "bogged" to simulate a solid cast item.

The first semi complete test fit of the new valve handle and the freshly bent main pump handle. We could not get the small radius bend on inch pipe so I had to settle for half inch which I have put PVC around and will seal it and paint it.

Finally, an idea of scale. This is the first item F-16 OR Spitfire that I have dealt with that is actually BIGGER than I thought it would be. Everything else some how has felt smaller.

With 3 days of holidays left, I'm hoping to have it installed by the time I go back to work!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Will you please just move to Blighty already so I can have a go? :mrgreen: 8) Cool, awesome amazing simpit love it!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Sorry Lewis,

No plans to move to Blighty...although the West Coast of Ireland is a definite possibility when I finally decide to drink myself to death ;)

Cheers, I'm very happy with the way she is shaping up. At the moment I am working on the internals. This will be the most complicated unit I have ever tackled with more than 30 pieces in the final product! (and that is only that low because I used the pump body and all rather than scavenging parts and making a body).

Darryl

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

I feel a ROAD trip coming on :-)
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Door's always open mate!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”